Fsj fuel injection installation cost

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
Jasonjoli

Fsj fuel injection installation cost

Post by Jasonjoli »

Does anyone have a ballpark estimate of how much I can expect to pay to have a Howell fuel injection system installed labor only?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

4whalin

Re: Fsj fuel injection installation cost

Post by 4whalin »

I just installed a CA legal Howell tbi on my 89 wag. Bought it from BJ’s Offroad, $1,450. Had a shop install it for $300.
There was a little surgery involved installing the O2 sensor in the exhaust at a muffler shop. All in about $2K.
I am still dialing in the fuel mixture, playing with air cleaners and distributors, but I absolutely love the way it runs.
Currently just have a replacement distributor w/ vacuum advance from O’Reilly’s.
1989 Grand Wagoneer Baltic Blue/Sand
360/300HP/Howell fuel injection
700R4/NP208
Rear disk brake conversion
35gal fuel/600 miles range
Hood ornament - Monstro
Plates: “4 WHALIN”

Topic author
Jasonjoli

Post by Jasonjoli »

4whalin wrote:I just installed a CA legal Howell tbi on my 89 wag. Bought it from BJ’s Offroad, $1,450. Had a shop install it for $300.
There was a little surgery involved installing the O2 sensor in the exhaust at a muffler shop. All in about $2K.
I am still dialing in the fuel mixture, playing with air cleaners and distributors, but I absolutely love the way it runs.
Currently just have a replacement distributor w/ vacuum advance from O’Reilly’s.
Great thank you! Install was cheaper than I expected. Was thinking it would be double that.

4whalin

Post by 4whalin »

It helps to find the right garage. And make sure they (and you) go thru instructions carefully. You’ll get to remove your smog pump and quite a bit of vacuum lines with the cvonversion. And seal off a few ports on the exhaust manifold. Just an FYI to make sure you look in the right places. Doesn’t hurt to invest in an OBD1 scanner tool afterwards to see how things are running as far as fuel mixture and timing. At tleast that’s what I have with the Howell system. The brain is from a 1990 GM product
700R4/NP208
Hood ornament - Monstro

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

$300 sounds cheap to me. Most shop rates are $100/hour. I would think a tech would charge more than 3 hours time to remove the old stuff and install/test the new stuff.

If you don't have the time or space to do it yourself, I understand. Otherwise, it is really as easy as installing a stereo. Have a shop install the O2 sensor (involves burning a hole in metal and welding...) and you can do everything else in your driveway with regular hand tools.

See my website for details if you're curious.
:- )
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Topic author
Jasonjoli

Post by Jasonjoli »

FSJ Guy wrote:$300 sounds cheap to me. Most shop rates are $100/hour. I would think a tech would charge more than 3 hours time to remove the old stuff and install/test the new stuff.

If you don't have the time or space to do it yourself, I understand. Otherwise, it is really as easy as installing a stereo. Have a shop install the O2 sensor (involves burning a hole in metal and welding...) and you can do everything else in your driveway with regular hand tools.

See my website for details if you're curious.
:- )
Great thank you for the tip. I'll check your site out.

4whalin

Post by 4whalin »

An update on fuel injection. My Howell system runs on high pressure, so no return line (if you can call 12psi high pressure.)
Anyway, when I’m driving, the 20 gal factory tank became a 15 gal tank since the fuel pickup was pulling so hard it started to cavitate and pull air at the last 5 gallons. Solution: Spare tire inside the back of the cabin on a bracket and a 35 gallon tank in its place with a well where the pickup goes in the bottom. One 700R4 overdrive later and I’m closing in on 600 miles range per tank. CA legal Thorley headers and electric fans getting me up around 16mpg. Howell EFI is CA legal too. We can’t change motors on anything post-1975 in CA or they won’t register it since it’s not smog exempt. Otherwise I’d drop an LS in.
700R4/NP208
Hood ornament - Monstro

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

4whalin wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:04 am An update on fuel injection. My Howell system runs on high pressure, so no return line (if you can call 12psi high pressure.)
Anyway, when I’m driving, the 20 gal factory tank became a 15 gal tank since the fuel pickup was pulling so hard it started to cavitate and pull air at the last 5 gallons. Solution: Spare tire inside the back of the cabin on a bracket and a 35 gallon tank in its place with a well where the pickup goes in the bottom. One 700R4 overdrive later and I’m closing in on 600 miles range per tank. CA legal Thorley headers and electric fans getting me up around 16mpg. Howell EFI is CA legal too. We can’t change motors on anything post-1975 in CA or they won’t register it since it’s not smog exempt. Otherwise I’d drop an LS in.
You can do smog legal LS swaps. GM even sells a smog legal complete 5.3L that you just bolt in. You have to go to a referee station to have it certified, but once thats done, you are golden.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ