Sniper install - '88 GWag

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

acct21

Re: Sniper install - '88 GWag

Post by acct21 »

Geez I'm not checking in often enough.

Sorry about the little hiccups you came across on your install. Couple of us have been running Snipers for a while now (it's been on my DD for over a year and a half). I'll never own another carb'd vehicle again.

I guess the only advice I have for you now -- so far after the install -- is to be sure and save your baseline tune after every few weeks if you're happy with it. That way if anything comes up that requires you to re-run the Wizard, you already have a tested tune that you can immediately reload.
1990 GW with HD towing package -- everything works! (today, anyway)

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Just my 2c, but you may find you want to swap to a progressive linkage on the sniper unit. The one that comes with the system is a fixed linkage. I see you picked it up from efipros. They carry the progressive linkage: https://www.efisystempro.com/sniper/sni ... inkage-kit. I know that it made my system worlds better in terms of drivability. Easy 5 min swap out. You can put the fixed linkage back in if you decide to go racing the wag :).

Topic author
Milktruck

Post by Milktruck »

Hey y’all been a bit since posting. Things are going pretty well with the install. Did the progressive linkage upgrade and it made things worlds better. Also went to my muffler shop and had them weld a bung in for me. I didn’t like the clamp style O2 bung. When I set it up, I swapped the air filter housing for an Edelbrock one. Looked good - sounded like major crap. I’m back to stock nd way happier. I’ve been chasing an intake backfire at low rpm. Happens when I get on the gas. And my charging system has had a bit of trouble keeping up. Today I installed an uprated alternator and it seems adequate. We’ll see. Love it though. Much better starts, idle and highway cruising. Still in learning mode
1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer backdating to 78/88 blend
5.3L LS/3" Lift/Bilstein Shocks/Boobie Grille

Fury5

Post by Fury5 »

I am starting a Sniper install, myself. Still scratching my head about what to keep and what to ditch from the vacuum spaghetti. How did you plumb your PCV and EGR?

Thanks.

Richard

ArchitectJS

Post by ArchitectJS »

Fury5 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:11 pm I am starting a Sniper install, myself. Still scratching my head about what to keep and what to ditch from the vacuum spaghetti. How did you plumb your PCV and EGR?

Thanks.

Richard
Doing mine too. It’s all going.

I bought a plug for the EGR. I have 4 more, if anybody wants one.
PCV? Where’s that? Doesn’t matter- it’s gone.

Just dropped my tank last night, to strip out and re-plumb
1982 Cherokee, base (Bumppo)
AMC 258 / A727 - AMC 20 / NP208
Holley Sniper with Hyperspark
3" Rough County Lift

acct21

Post by acct21 »

You don't want to delete your PCV -- that's not emissions related. It's easy to re-plumb the PCV line into the 3/8" port on the front of the Sniper.

You can do away with the EGR, the bowl vent system, the anti-diesel solenoid, and the choke heater/heater wires. Be sure to cap off those wires carefully -- on a later GW a short in one of those wires will melt your harness in ways you can't imagine.

If you haven't bought fuel pump kits yet, you really need to look into the RobbMc surge tank setup. BJ's Offroad is selling them now.
1990 GW with HD towing package -- everything works! (today, anyway)

Topic author
Milktruck

Post by Milktruck »

I plugged the EGR stuff - not necessary here at this time.
1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer backdating to 78/88 blend
5.3L LS/3" Lift/Bilstein Shocks/Boobie Grille