Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 EFI System

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
DuxCadoo

Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 EFI System

Post by DuxCadoo »

I’m upgrading my 83’ Cherokee Laredo to this EFI. I have a Novak in-tank fuel pump, RobbMC power surge tank, RobbMC pressure regulator ordered as well. Anyone install this unit on a 360? Any advice appreciated.

Xplitive

Re: Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 EFI System

Post by Xplitive »

Following, was just about to ask the same question!
Erik
1989 GW, 31s on rancho front and general spring rear

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

Subscribed since I'm very interested in how this turns out.

I think that regular TBI systems like Sniper/Fitech/etc are more popular here, but hopefully someone had experience with Pro-Flo
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

Zeppe807

Post by Zeppe807 »

I just purchased a rig with a built 401 and the original version of the Pro Flo. The distributor is bad, i can't get any service out of Holley, MSD, nor Mallory, and it seems that the model needed is no longer available. The old (2005) programmer is difficult, and old tech; so it was going to cost me $750 for a Dyno guy to tune it, and I'd have to wait until mid September.

On a positive note: Edelbrock has been great to deal with and I ordered a Pro Flo 4 last Friday. Since this is a self leaening system I am saving on both a new distributor (since it comes in the kit) and the tuning. I think i am only getting like 3 mpg currently so if I can double those numbers 😅 it should all pay off.

I can't wait for it to get here since this rig can't leave town the way its running now (low speed cruising has been fine, but higher 2600 rpm cruising has pinging). I'm not a programmer and don't want to mess up anything.

The old rotor was spining/shaking 15⁰ on the PLASTIC Mallory distributor shaft, so i glued it to get by. (I haven't found a new shaft or rotor yet, and doesn't look like they make a replacement)

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Zeppe807 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:02 am I just purchased a rig with a built 401 and the original version of the Pro Flo. The distributor is bad, i can't get any service out of Holley, MSD, nor Mallory, and it seems that the model needed is no longer available. The old (2005) programmer is difficult, and old tech; so it was going to cost me $750 for a Dyno guy to tune it, and I'd have to wait until mid September.

On a positive note: Edelbrock has been great to deal with and I ordered a Pro Flo 4 last Friday. Since this is a self leaening system I am saving on both a new distributor (since it comes in the kit) and the tuning. I think i am only getting like 3 mpg currently so if I can double those numbers 😅 it should all pay off.

I can't wait for it to get here since this rig can't leave town the way its running now (low speed cruising has been fine, but higher 2600 rpm cruising has pinging). I'm not a programmer and don't want to mess up anything.

The old rotor was spining/shaking 15⁰ on the PLASTIC Mallory distributor shaft, so i glued it to get by. (I haven't found a new shaft or rotor yet, and doesn't look like they make a replacement)
Will be interested to see how the newer ProFlo works for you. As as I recall, the old system could be made to work with any duraspark style distributer, but it had to be locked out so that the ECU could handle the timing.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

cone

Post by cone »

I was in the same situation as Zeppe807, I had the old pro-flo on my 401 and was having trouble replacing parts for it. I also wasn't entirely happy with it because I always had a pinging issue at about 2000 RPM no matter I did to the tuning. I recently replaced it with the new pro-flo 4 and so far am happy with it. You can use the self learning mode or manually fine tune it. I just used the self learning mode and after a couple of drives the engine runs great, it doesn't ping anymore.

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

How is pro flo compared to regular throttle body EFI systems like sniper? Price difference is not that big given that you get new intake manifold and distributor with pro flo kit, but I can't find any serious comparison online. MPI should be better than TBI, just wondering how much better?
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

cone

Post by cone »

sirrus wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:04 pm How is pro flo compared to regular throttle body EFI systems like sniper? Price difference is not that big given that you get new intake manifold and distributor with pro flo kit, but I can't find any serious comparison online. MPI should be better than TBI, just wondering how much better?
I have a Howell TBI on my Wagoneer and am also very happy with it but the ProFlo--4 on my 401 in my AMX much more responsive. It was quite a bit more expensive because you also have to buy a fuel delivery system for it. I used the edelbrock system from Summit, https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-3604.

Davidpsalt

Post by Davidpsalt »

Any feed back on the Pro Flo 4 system? Am anxiously awaiting feedback as I am on the fence between going this route on my 360 or pulling it and doing the LS swap - 5.3L, mild cam, etc.

Zeppe807

Post by Zeppe807 »

Well mine was supposed to ship on 8/14 and it didn't. I contacted Jegs and now they say 8/21 😥 😔 I want to get it in and running. I have places to go and things to do (rubicon in 4 weeks)

ColoWagon

Post by ColoWagon »

I am installing one as I type. If I hit big snags I will try to give a heads (provided you are not already installing!)

Brad

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

- Brad

88 GW

MReese Wagoneer

Post by MReese Wagoneer »

Well I guess I will follow this as I have the 401 running on the carb right now,
But show some pics of your set ups !!!!
:fsj:
New 83 Wagoneer Brougham
old 99 Grand Cherokee Limited
http://www.mandgoilandlube.com

OBXGW

Post by OBXGW »

How did the install go for you guys with the Pro-Flo

Comet

Post by Comet »

I know this is an older thread, but I wanted to share my experiences with those that bought the Edelbrock 1st gen Proflo system and were having issues with it like others in this thread (I had the same issues also).
I have a 401 in my CJ7 and wanted MPI-EFI as opposed to TBI and was one of the earliest customers of the new system (bought from Bulltear). I ended up moving out of the country for my job and it sat for over 10 years before I finished the engine rebuild and by that time, Edelbrock no longer provided support for the Gen 1 system.
Frustrated and not wanting to spend more money than necessary to get it running (and wanting a more simplified wiring system), I decided to go with FiTech’s multi-port EFI and adapt it to the Edelbrock MPI intake manifold. Edelbrock’s intake has a unique base for the throttle body, so I had a machinist buddy make me an aluminum adapter using Edelbrock’s gasket as a template for the outside configuration and FiTech’s gasket for their mounting configuration. I also used the Edelbrock injectors. I did have to get a new distributor also-like others have said, the one Edelbrock used was crap (Mallory if I recall).
I’m so happy with it and it saved me a couple thousand $ over buying a complete kit again. I love how simple the wiring is and was happy to get back space under my dash by losing Edelbrock’s computer and wiring.
I recommend those of you that bought the Gen 1 Edelbrock system to hang on to the manifold and consider using it for the FiTech system. Or selling it to someone that wants to do the same.
1979 Cherokee Chief
1978 CJ7
2004 LJ Unlimited
2005 GC WK

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Comet wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:52 pm I know this is an older thread, but I wanted to share my experiences with those that bought the Edelbrock 1st gen Proflo system and were having issues with it like others in this thread (I had the same issues also).
I have a 401 in my CJ7 and wanted MPI-EFI as opposed to TBI and was one of the earliest customers of the new system (bought from Bulltear). I ended up moving out of the country for my job and it sat for over 10 years before I finished the engine rebuild and by that time, Edelbrock no longer provided support for the Gen 1 system.
Frustrated and not wanting to spend more money than necessary to get it running (and wanting a more simplified wiring system), I decided to go with FiTech’s multi-port EFI and adapt it to the Edelbrock MPI intake manifold. Edelbrock’s intake has a unique base for the throttle body, so I had a machinist buddy make me an aluminum adapter using Edelbrock’s gasket as a template for the outside configuration and FiTech’s gasket for their mounting configuration. I also used the Edelbrock injectors. I did have to get a new distributor also-like others have said, the one Edelbrock used was crap (Mallory if I recall).
I’m so happy with it and it saved me a couple thousand $ over buying a complete kit again. I love how simple the wiring is and was happy to get back space under my dash by losing Edelbrock’s computer and wiring.
I recommend those of you that bought the Gen 1 Edelbrock system to hang on to the manifold and consider using it for the FiTech system. Or selling it to someone that wants to do the same.
Good info, thanks for adding it.

Most of the really early EFI systems had a lot of growing pains. All of the first gen ones have been replaced with much better systems that are on the market now.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

JeepsAndGuns

Post by JeepsAndGuns »

Comet wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:52 pm I know this is an older thread, but I wanted to share my experiences with those that bought the Edelbrock 1st gen Proflo system and were having issues with it like others in this thread (I had the same issues also).
Years ago when that gen 1 system was new, I bought just the bare intake and fuel rails and then built my own system around it. I did something similar to you. I had a 1/4in thick adapter plate made to bolt on a large 75mm monoblade throttle body. I used standard length bosch style injectors and just made some brackets to space the rails up a little higher.
For control, I used a GM based system I tuned myself. It uses off the shelf computer and sensors used by many GM vehicles so replacement parts will be easy to find. I uses a modded (by me) HEI distributor and mounted the 7 pin fuel injection HEI module in place of the 4 pin carb module.
I am very happy with it.
79 Cherokee Cheif. MPFI 401, T18/D20, hydroboost, otherwise stock.
93 YJ. 4.0, 5 Speed, SYE, hydroboost, WJ knuckles/brakes, 8.8 rear, OME 2.5in lift, warn M10000 winch. 31x10.50's
99 WJ limited. 4.0, auto, 2wd, stock.

Comet

Post by Comet »

Sounds like you made a wise decision right out of the box!
1979 Cherokee Chief
1978 CJ7
2004 LJ Unlimited
2005 GC WK