Bahamas Wheeling Trip

FSJ Related Events in other Places of the World

Topic author
BRUTUS

Re: Bahamas Wheeling Trip

Post by BRUTUS »

uncletiffy wrote:When I go to Eleuthera, I stay at my place.
When I didn't have my place I would stay at the Resort, its really not that touristy because its small, but its not cheap.
There are other places to stay on Eleuthera but I have not stayed in any others.

When I shipped My jeep in, one way was $860.00.
I am sure I can get a better price but never as low as $500.00 for a round trip.

As for camping, It would not be a problem as long as you don't bother any one.
The only camping that is done is on boats, used to do that quite a bit, but never on land.
Interesting.

Here is the video I was referring to... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiWZTy0brf0 at the 7:30 mark.
'74 J30 with some upgrades

uncletiffy

Post by uncletiffy »

BRUTUS wrote:
uncletiffy wrote:When I go to Eleuthera, I stay at my place.
When I didn't have my place I would stay at the Resort, its really not that touristy because its small, but its not cheap.
There are other places to stay on Eleuthera but I have not stayed in any others.

When I shipped My jeep in, one way was $860.00.
I am sure I can get a better price but never as low as $500.00 for a round trip.

As for camping, It would not be a problem as long as you don't bother any one.
The only camping that is done is on boats, used to do that quite a bit, but never on land.
Interesting.

Here is the video I was referring to... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiWZTy0brf0 at the 7:30 mark.
Yep, people do camp, they also smoke pot but it is illegal.

I would hate to tell folks to come down and camp and by some strange chance get in trouble with the police.
I guess if you want to take the chance it will be OK, lots of surfers come to Eleuthera and camp and have no trouble.
Its just that I dont want to be the one to say "yes" and people get in trouble.
1979 Jeep Cherokee Chief, 360V8, auto ,QT, rust.
1995 Jeep YJ, 2.5 4 cyl. Sold, yay.
1998 Land Rover Defender 90, 2.5 TDI.

Topic author
BRUTUS

Post by BRUTUS »

uncletiffy wrote:Yep, people do camp, they also smoke pot but it is illegal.

I would hate to tell folks to come down and camp and by some strange chance get in trouble with the police.
I guess if you want to take the chance it will be OK, lots of surfers come to Eleuthera and camp and have no trouble.
Its just that I dont want to be the one to say "yes" and people get in trouble.
That is exactly what I was thinking. By any chance do you know what the penalty would/could be... or where I could search? These are the best semi-related results I have found so far:

According to http://www.the-bahamas-islands.com/faq.html
Can I camp in The Bahamas?

The Bahamas does not cater to campers and does not offer any formal camp grounds. It is not advisable to camp on the beaches. To camp on privately owned property it is required that you obtain the permission of the land owner.
Here is another site with some interesting information... https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde ... 221AAWRESC
Camping is generally prohibited for tourists in the Bahamas -- as the government would prefer it that you stay in a hotel; though locals camp out all the time -- typically on the beach with a bonfire.

You i'll have to hook up with the locals.
If we were "camping on the beach with a bonfire" and you were our local... does that qualify? Would this be accepted by association? Just in case, do you have a source for fake Bahamian passports or photo ID's so we could be locals for the duration of the trip? :P JK

More info here... https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/ ... as-bahamas including this little tidbit:
in the mid 1970's when the Bahamian government passed a law prohibiting individuals from camping in their country. I can not tell you if this law is ever enforced, but I can tell you that I was on a Bahamian Government sponsored press trip several years ago when the Bahamian Minister of Tourism spoke to us and one of the things he stated in answer to a question was that this +no camping law is still in effect, further stating that they (the government) do not want the camping/budget type traveler in their country.
While many of the sites I have visited about this reference contacting the Bahamas Ministry of Tourism, I wouldn't want to "flag" them to our intentions too much as our group will stand out quite a bit already.

MidTNJasonF

Post by MidTNJasonF »

Yeah, an individual or small party of 2 to 4 people would likely get away with a night of camping if they were in an out of the way spot. That would be low profile.

A group of large trucks and 4x4's that were shipped in and ferried around the islands would be a very different story and gather much more attention. It would not be worth the risk of skirting the law in a larger group and creating problems. All we would need is to raise a few eye brows and get a bunch of vehicles stuck in some sort if impound or seizure situation. I would not have much fear for myself personally but it only takes a minor paperwork hang up to make getting your truck back out of the country difficult.
1964 J-200 360/TH400/BW1339 - "Hodge" - as in Hodge Podge :roll:
GM FF 14 Bolt 4.56:1 Yukon Posi rear / GM D44 4.56:1 front
Looking for 8 lug H1's and 37"s

srobertsfsj

Post by srobertsfsj »

Is there any sort of property there that can be rented and we could camp on it?
Scott R.

'86 Grand Wagoneer "Super Chief" 5.3L drivetrain/ WT conversion / TT's Fabworks SOA and SF / 37x12.5x17 BFG A/T KO3 http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 294&p=3364

"After years of being paranoid about my Jeep’s temp going towards that 220F mark, I’m realizing that if it was real problem, Jeep engineers would have painted that area RED." - FSJ Guy

az chip

Post by az chip »

Maybe you could talk to the top people and get a one time waiver. Pay a fee or something.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

uncletiffy

Post by uncletiffy »

Hmm, I have a co-worker, actually she is my Boss, she runs a summer camp for kids, its right on the beach.

I will ask, who knows???????

ClovisMan

Post by ClovisMan »

Should I bring the Shark Rods? :)
88 Grand Wagoneer - The Money Pit - 360/727/NP208 - SOA/SF - Lots of other stuff SOLD
78 Cherokee Chief - Copper - 360/TH400/Quadratrac - 4 inch BDS lift - 33 inch tires SOLD

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

Whats the latest on this?

The reason I ask is this has gotten me to thinking about taking 'some sort' of EPIC 'wheeling trip in the next year or two. I'm thinking along the lines of 'trip of a lifetime' kind of thing. Doesn't have to be the Bahamas, could be something like Alaska, South America, Australia, etc.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Blake wrote:Whats the latest on this?

The reason I ask is this has gotten me to thinking about taking 'some sort' of EPIC 'wheeling trip in the next year or two. I'm thinking along the lines of 'trip of a lifetime' kind of thing. Doesn't have to be the Bahamas, could be something like Alaska, South America, Australia, etc.

FSJ's to Prudehoe! If Tyoda guys can do it FSJ's can do it and have twice as much fun.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

Let's do it!

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

no other updates?

just kinda let it drop?

uncletiffy

Post by uncletiffy »

Hey,

Don't want to drop it but am coming up against walls with the importation and camping issues.

I have not given up.....yet.

Topic author
BRUTUS

Post by BRUTUS »

uncletiffy wrote:Hey,

Don't want to drop it but am coming up against walls with the importation and camping issues.

I have not given up.....yet.
Fair enough. I truly appreciate all your efforts!

Can you share the issues you are having?

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Bump :)
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.