Eastwood Tubing Flare Tool

This is a place to share about tools and workspaces

Topic author
jhartings

Eastwood Tubing Flare Tool

Post by jhartings »

I bought this Eastwood tubing flare tool, It claims it can do 3/8” stainless flares but I am having a tough time double flaring 3/8” stainless. Anyone else used this flare tool?

https://www.eastwood.com/professional-b ... -tool.html

For 3/16” steel lines it is amazing.

tedlovesjeeps71

Re: Eastwood Tubing Flare Tool

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

I have one and it works great. Haven’t tried it on anything stainless yet.

Topic author
jhartings

Post by jhartings »

I broke mine doing 3/8 stainless double flare. Getting a replacement. Hope this one is better.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Is the issue with the Dies not holding the tube and pushing the tube vs flaring the end? I've had that issue on all the flaring tools I've used--but mine were the cheap brand. IMO, the die should be twice as deep to provide a better grip on the tube.

Topic author
jhartings

Post by jhartings »

No. It holds. The issue is the force needed to double flare is so much it breaks the threads of the machine. It’s well built, I just think I might need a hydraulic flare tool.

TurboJ4000

Post by TurboJ4000 »

I have found that the normal manual cheap style tool is generally extremely easy to use if you use an impact wrench. There is almost no extra bending force and it makes a damn near factory quality flare.
1970 J4000 / Chevy Frankenstein in progress
Soon to be Lq4 6.0 and 4l80e on 35s

Surbir

Post by Surbir »

TurboJ4000 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:31 pm I have found that the normal manual cheap style tool is generally extremely easy to use if you use an impact wrench. There is almost no extra bending force and it makes a damn near factory quality flare.
ok so I followed your tip and found it really useful. I used the impact wrench and it made my work super easy.
Thanks.

TurboJ4000

Post by TurboJ4000 »

Surbir wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:48 am
TurboJ4000 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:31 pm I have found that the normal manual cheap style tool is generally extremely easy to use if you use an impact wrench. There is almost no extra bending force and it makes a damn near factory quality flare.
ok so I followed your tip and found it really useful. I used the impact wrench and it made my work super easy.
Thanks.
Glad it worked! I thought it would ruin the flare at first but it's the best flares I've ever made.

Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

I have a mastercool flaring kit pn# 71475. It was expensive but is absolutely awesome. Does up to 1/2" flares, standard brake double flares, 45° flares, metric bubble, push connect fuel line, GM trans and fuel forming effortlessly. Worth every penny. Eventually plan to get their swedge tool also to make larger heater hose ftype flares and stuff. If you buy it you won't be disappointed. Only drawback is it's sometimes a pita to use in tight spots due to its size but so worth it. For double the price of the Eastwood tool you have you could be flaring way more options
1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.

threepiece

Post by threepiece »

Are you using an impact on the screw that forms the flair? The ones I have seen have a T handle, did you make an adapter for that?
I used to name my FSJ’s after their previous owners, I realized I had too many with five named Rick.

Dang raccoons again!

Rust is a color too.

TurboJ4000

Post by TurboJ4000 »

threepiece wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:18 am
Are you using an impact on the screw that forms the flair? The ones I have seen have a T handle, did you make an adapter for that?

Yes. Mine doesn't have a T handle, its a hex for using a wrench but that is difficult to keep straight without bending the tubing. Using the impact I can get it all straight and just hold the clamping bar with my hand while I tighten the die part with the impact.

No bending that way.

Mine is sort of like this one but doesn't even have the T handle hole in the screw its just a hex on the end.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/otc- ... ysEALw_wcB

Topic author
jhartings

Post by jhartings »

Got a few private messages... they told me to heat the stainless before double flare. I will try this later and let you guys know what happens.