Floor space... Axle stand.

This is a place to share about tools and workspaces

Topic author
230ohc

Floor space... Axle stand.

Post by 230ohc »

You may have guessed it, that's right I need floor space desperately. I've got like 10+ axles laying about. So I decided to make a stand. Unfortunately the place I want to put it is covered with...... You guess it, axles.
kind of a catch 22 at the moment but I would actually like to get rid of a car or two and pour some concrete in the side yard so I can park my jeep behind the gate.
anyway here's a video, I hope it will be strong enough.
1964 willys wagoneer
Om617 turbo diesel
Ax15
Dana 300
3.73 dana 27 front
3.73 dana 44 rear

threepiece

Re: Floor space... Axle stand.

Post by threepiece »

I was/am in the same position as you; When I tell you I have tons of axles I mean that quite literally.

A partial solution for me was to build an axle rack. This rack was made from 2x2 angle and positioned against the wall. It is attached to the floor joists above but bears it’s load on the concrete floor. There is an eye anchor above where I connect a chain hoist. I can hoist eight axles up against the wall with this, two matching axles on each of four arms protruding.
I used to name my FSJ’s after their previous owners, I realized I had too many with five named Rick.

Dang raccoons again!

Rust is a color too.

threepiece

Post by threepiece »

I just looked at your video, you seriously need a gusset on the back. You might consider some outriggers too after it’s loaded. Are you planning to place two axles on each set?
I used to name my FSJ’s after their previous owners, I realized I had too many with five named Rick.

Dang raccoons again!

Rust is a color too.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Fixed your youtube link for you. You just need to have the code inside the tags (you can edit your post to see it).

I think the rear support you mention in the video would held a lot with strength once you have a few thousand pounds sitting on it. Out riggers would make it more stable, but I think once the weight is on there, it would be pretty tough to push over as long as you don't have any sitting up top while nothing is on the bottom.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ