J10 air conditioning options

Area for stock and aftermarket air conditioning.

Topic author
j10builder

J10 air conditioning options

Post by j10builder »

I've got my engine bay stripped out and it's almost ready to paint. I need to make some A/C decisions. I know very little about air conditioning systems. My J10 has a 360 with a factory compressor mount and that's it. I was originally thinking about BJ's kit but I've been bouncing around and reading threads and now I'm second guessing myself a bit. I'm looking for heat, air, ease of installation and the right price. What are the pro's and con's of VA, OA and BJ's? Are there other better options out there? What should I avoid?
'81' J10 w/all the good same year J20 stuff

sonoraed
Vendor

Re: J10 air conditioning options

Post by sonoraed »

Talk to “full size jeeper” he just finished his ac install in his garage on his own,came out looking good

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

This post here should help you: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=18972
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
j10builder

Post by j10builder »

Thanks Ed and Stuka, Just read my way through that. Super informative. Wonder if the BJ's kit would save some of the fab work. Might be worth a few extra hundred for speed of install? Not much mentioned on the board that I could find about BJ's. Also VA has the Gen II Compact and Compact Mini. I'm wondering if those would be an option since I don't have as many cubic feet to heat and cool as a Waggy. I think I'm going to call VA and talk with them a bit.
'81' J10 w/all the good same year J20 stuff

sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

While I appreciate BJ's has a "kit", to me it looks a mess,even for a daily driver. don't think you can install anything aftermarket without some fabrication and thought, on the other hand plenty of people have installed GenIV's before you so tons of examples.
Vintage Air's Gen IV Magnum is the gold standard because it's a powerful state of the art heat/cool unit that fit's like it was made for the FSJ, but as with anything you install will require lots of fabrication.
If your looking for low cost might look at Southern Air they offer lots of universal kits, VA Gen II units will work, might also look at Old Air kits,just keep in mind older units have 4 switch's/knobs (where are you going to put them) and not many have been installed in FSJ's, so not many examples of how to perform the work,have fun!

teking

Post by teking »

I just had a BJs kit installed in my FSJ ... M715. No issues. Hides under the dash well. Has four remote outlets and defrost.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk