How to Remove the Lower Dash / A/C Controls on a 1985 Grand Wagoneer?

Area for stock and aftermarket air conditioning.

Topic author
85wagPitt

How to Remove the Lower Dash / A/C Controls on a 1985 Grand Wagoneer?

Post by 85wagPitt »

I need to remove the A/C controls from the dash in order to replace the old lines. Does it simply unscrew from the upper dash? Any tricks I should know about? Anything that I should be aware of? See the pic below for the part that I am talking about.

Thanks!
Photo-Feb-10-4-13-55-PM-scaled.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
85 Grand Wagoneer
15 Grand Cherokee
09 Liberty

FLeetFox

Re: How to Remove the Lower Dash / A/C Controls on a 1985 Grand Wagoneer?

Post by FLeetFox »

Yes, just unscrew the * or 9 screws in the rivetted angle iron piece rivetted to the plastic moulded unit. HOWEVER, before you do that , in the bottom right corner under the fan housing, unscrew the single screw that holds a small angle bracket. it should be a black bracket that attaches to a strap of metal that bolts to the firewall behind the unit. I would also suggest undoing the hoses in the engine compartment and moving the 2 sheet metal screws that hold the rubber bulkhead pass through for the hoses. The , carefully pull the unit out, wiggling the bulkhead grommet and the hoses through the firewall, into the interior and out the passenger door. It goes a lot easier with the pass seat out btw. Good luck, move slow and as gentle as possible, the plastic gets real brittle with age.

Fleet Fox
I do things my way, and I pay a high price.... JCM

FLeetFox

Re: How to Remove the Lower Dash / A/C Controls on a 1985 Grand Wagoneer?

Post by FLeetFox »

Oh and remove the piece under the steering wheel first. Common sense, I know.

Fox
I do things my way, and I pay a high price.... JCM