Cleaning old Jerry Cans

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

orangecherokee

Re: Cleaning old Jerry Cans

Post by orangecherokee »

So what's the mixture? I mean, is this seat of the pants feel or what? 50/50, 60/40, 70/30????

motcat

Post by motcat »

It really depends on how bad the rust is. I usually started with something like 60:40 (acid:water), although I don't think I ever measured it. If the rust is really bad, go 80:20. I even used straight acid if I needed to. Not a full tank of acid - usually the worst rust is on the bottom of the tank.

Whatever your ratio is, just let it sit in the tank for as long as needed.

I assume what you're etching is all steel? The acid will eat aluminum, paint (and skin).

Remember, after you flush the acid out and rinse with water, it's going to get surface rust pretty quick, so have your sealer ready to go. Make sure you get all the water out or the sealer won't stick. I usually use compressed air to blow out the water.
- John (aka JR)
78 Chief Dad bought new in Kenosha WI, 401, RV cam, Part time kit, Edelbrock+Holly 600, DUI, 3" Rancho, Skyjackers, Crossflow rad, Rust, rust, rust
78 J10 Bob's (Becca's) old J-Truck, Tired 360, Tired TH400, Tired QT, Just really tired, but keeps on runnin

Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Driftwood wrote:Image
This. this is awesome.

Or build it into a toolbox.

Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Any radiator shop should be able to boil out a tank for you.

The muriatic acid works.

also heard a lot of people use vinegar and a bunch of nails or rocks. shake it around. Owen suggested using a chain so you can get it out real easy.
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Yup! I've used 5/16" chain to clean gas tanks. I've even used chainsaw chain :P
You feed a decent length into the tank (about 12-15 feet for the FSJ coffin tank) and swish it around. It will break loose most of the rust scaling.
For a Jerry Can, a few feet is plenty.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

HOOT

Post by HOOT »

Tatsadasayago wrote:Yup! I've used 5/16" chain to clean gas tanks. I've even used chainsaw chain :P
You feed a decent length into the tank (about 12-15 feet for the FSJ coffin tank) and swish it around. It will break loose most of the rust scaling.
For a Jerry Can, a few feet is plenty.
Wrap the tank really good in some towels and throw it in the dryer. Just don't tell the wife.
1980 and 81 J20 melding into a 1980 Utility bed J20. Project cancelled and for sale, found a factory truck.
1980 J20 Utility truck. Replaced above project.
1977 Honcho getting turned into a 1977 J20 Gladoncho.
IFSJA Member #4662 Joined March 28, 2003

We're on a road to nowhere.....

RossJonnes

Post by RossJonnes »

Who can recommend to me the best product among those in the list on this site? https://onlychainsaw.com/best-electric-chainsaw/