EV Conversion?

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
Mikey307

EV Conversion?

Post by Mikey307 »

Anyone contemplated / built an EV on here? Been toying with the idea as I have access to batteries at a very good price (work at Interstate Batteries). I have a bare slate truck and their are tons of builds online but very few trail dedicated ones. Seen a Suzuki Samurai crawler build that I really liked, gobs of torque. Doubtful I'll ever have to worry about being street legal regardless and I would be happy with 4 hours of wheeling, easily doubled by bringing along a generator. Just spit balling but I would do a Chevy sm-465+np205 and a series wound 48-72 volt forklift motor in the 175-250# weight range mated with a 500-amp Curtis controller. I like being different I guess... What ya'll think about the idea? BTW I give ANYONE driving a jeep an automatic 10% discount on batteries that come to my shop :)
1990 Jeep XJ Sport, 3", 4.0, AX15, 231, welded 30 , welded 35 (how I got it) ^^^^!!!!!FOR SALE!!!!^^^^
J-truck tuber build commencing spring 2017

Topic author
Mikey307

Re: EV Conversion?

Post by Mikey307 »

1990 Jeep XJ Sport, 3", 4.0, AX15, 231, welded 30 , welded 35 (how I got it) ^^^^!!!!!FOR SALE!!!!^^^^

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

That's an awesome idea and while I don't have any technical advice I do have $0.02 and I hope you go through with it!

Normally I HATE electric vehicles because they proliferate lithium based batteries which are freeking HORRIBLE for the environment and peoples health. Just trace amounts of lithium completely *Fs up our brain chemistry, and it's exactly 0% recyclable right now. All those Prius batteries either have been or will be put on a boat, shipped to China and burned in a pile, and that's on top of the excessive mining tailings to produce enough of it. Lithium is a terrible but necessary hold-over while we figure out something better (like graphene or something).

Now recyclable batteries like AGM, lead-acid or nickel-iron I'm totally for! I know it's heavier (significantly) but at this stage (practical exercise of proof-of-theory) it's good enough! Put's you ahead of everyone else when that something better comes along and the rest of us have to play catch up to keep out toys!
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Coworker converted a Honda S2000 to electric. He has a few videos up, and a full blog on it. But I should note, converting an FSJ to electric would be a complete waste. Its far too heavy and un aerodynamic. You would really need an AC motor to make it worth while, and then you are looking at 10x what the jeep is worth just for the motor.

Blog: http://s2kev.blogspot.com
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

He's not worried about aerodynamics. The Jeep has no windows, fenders, grille, etc.... It'll be strictly a trailer-queen, dedicated crawler.
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

KJ Ryu wrote:He's not worried about aerodynamics. The Jeep has no windows, fenders, grille, etc.... It'll be strictly a trailer-queen, dedicated crawler.
Oh, then the issue comes into range. Crawling will be a worse case scenario for an electric motor as far as current draw goes (they draw the most at low RPM). So it comes down to how long he wants to be able to play.
2017 JKU Rubicon

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

Backup generator. ;)
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

Topic author
Mikey307

Post by Mikey307 »

stripped down and caged as a roller as it sits should be in the 2600# range and it would live in low range always. Full weight would be around 33-3500. That's where most people are starting at before batteries yet with a mini truck. A good friend of kj and I is a circuit board genius lol so iam sure building a 1000amp controller would be doable on $400-500 give or take.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

I'm still all about you doing this! I haven't done any research for my own thing, but some day I want to build an electric pulling tractor. There's a bunch of them. It's a thing.
Grizzly Locker Rear

Topic author
Mikey307

Post by Mikey307 »

The end goal would definitely be running on agm (drive all day upside down, no leaking). The cost of said batteries with an average life of 3-4 years is rough. And I agree with ac as being the most effective way of doing it with regen and all, the price on ac components is up there. But since the primary reason people go ac is for top speed (amp limited not voltage) I think a beefy DC series would work well. Times where there is a large distance between trails a tow bar would come in handy. Its nice because its a completely clean slate but after a complete drivetrain install the labor and cost is leaning towards electric. Power steering could probably be handled by a standalone 12v system with a on demand pump. Going straight a while? Turn it off. Gotta do a front dig around the tree in Wills Wash? Turn it on. Hahaha. I did get the rear axle mocked and running into a potential rub issue. Since I am using wagoneer narrow 44s on a j10 and the rear tube work is a tad wider than stock frame its gonna be close. I may opt to trade off the 37x14 iroks for Some tall and skinny 34" LTB, 38.5x11 bogger or plain old tractor AGS.

Topic author
Mikey307

Post by Mikey307 »

REDONE wrote:I'm still all about you doing this! I haven't done any research for my own thing, but some day I want to build an electric pulling tractor. There's a bunch of them. It's a thing.
I've seen them, super cool they are indeed. Water cooled motor and a $%&# load of volts and amps. I think a build using super capacitors would be scary powerful and light. Plus you can charge them in 10 minutes or less haha.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

I want to do a smaller one, an AMC Wheelhorse. :-bd
When I dream of an offroad EV I think of high efficiency pancake AC motors at each wheel with planetary reduction. Only one pair (front or rear) would would need a mechanism to eliminate the reduction and the other pair a freewheel clutch to conserve energy on the flats...
Grizzly Locker Rear

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Mikey307 wrote:stripped down and caged as a roller as it sits should be in the 2600# range and it would live in low range always. Full weight would be around 33-3500. That's where most people are starting at before batteries yet with a mini truck. A good friend of kj and I is a circuit board genius lol so iam sure building a 1000amp controller would be doable on $400-500 give or take.
A waggy rear axle will not fit on a J-Truck. The J-Truck rear axle is 9.5" wider, and even that is barely wide enough.

You are going to be way heavier than 3500lbs. With no interior, and the engine gone, you will maybe drop it to the 3200lb range. But then you have to count adding the motor, and then a lot of batteries. Not sure what battery chemistry you are going for, lead acids will have the least capacity, and weigh the most.

Also, be sure to look at how many kW that forklift motor is rated for. Most of them are only 6-10kW (60min rating). You can run them a bit hotter for short periods. But 10kW is only 13.5hp. Thats enough to move it in low range sure, but not real easily, and certainly not fast. Oh, and those motors are typically only 48VDC, so your current draw is going to be really high. My friend that I mentioned above had his motor running at 144VDC, and a 500A Curtis controller wasn't enough for it (it burned up(twice)). Although it was a 63kW motor (peak). Actually, he roasted the motor two and moved to a much larger one later on.

Also remember that brakes are vacuum, so you need a vacuum pump as well. And depending on your battery capacity, you are looking at about 4-6 hours (with lithium) to charge if you have a high current 220vac generator.

I am not trying to discourage you, I really like electric cars, and the technology developing around them. I just don't want you guys to try it, and then get in over your head, and out some money.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
Mikey307

Post by Mikey307 »

Thanks for the into sir, it helps. I'll post pics eventually, probably have the only j10 running 88 wagoneer narrow axles out there lol. 2" on inside of tire is all I got and surprised there was any at all. The 44s were originally intended to stick under the xj, but it has been a naughty jeep and has been put in timeout for a while so stuck them under j10 for mobility. I can make them work but If I come across a full size set I wouldn't hesitate to snag them up. If

marc

Post by marc »

I think that I'll see if there can be a reviving of interest in e conversions. One outfit has a two component drop in system, motor combined with electrical components as one and batteries as the other. Uses original mounts and radiator. It will drop in, mount to the original transmission and use the original controls, Hydraulic assist for brakes and an electric power steering pump eliminate the need for vacuum and belt driven power for steering and brakes. An electric vacuum pump can provide other vacuum. The company quoted me a high price and stated that it would be a "dangerous installation" in a Jeep. In fact, it was designed to convert a Ford F-150 with much more horse power than the j10 needs, so there may be a lighter more stable installation out there.
J10 1984, very stock with AMC 258.
Truck appears to have been rebuilt or restored at one time