Craigslist sucks now.

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Craigslist sucks now.

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

So I normally don’t sell stuff on CL but decided I’d post the waggy there and see how it goes. I’ve bought stuff from people on that site for decades and rarely had a bad experience but I hardly ever have sold anything.
First thing I noticed as I made an ad was they now(!?!) charge $5.00 to post a car for sale??? When did that start??
I said screw it and bought in figuring it would reach more people.
About 30 seconds after I posted it I got a hit. Some scammer trying to phish for info.
A few minutes later, another scammer wanting me to log into their website.
Over the course of a day I got about 15 various scam attempts and not one serious, legit person.
What has happened to the world? CL used to be a great resource for stuff but it’s nothing but jerks and thieves.

Rant over.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Craigslist sucks now.

Post by Stuka »

Last few items I have listed I have not gotten any spam. Did you change any of the contact options when you created the post?
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Yeah, I noticed the same thing-not the scamers but the expense. Also, I noticed that because of the cost that there is only a fraction of the stuff on the site. Facebook Market Place has taken over for Clist. I wont be using Clist anymore and I used to sell a lot of Jeep Parts there and it was my primary source to find old Jeeps. Not anymore

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Stuka wrote:Last few items I have listed I have not gotten any spam. Did you change any of the contact options when you created the post?
I didn’t change anything for the contact stuff. What’s weird is I don’t remember putting in my phone number and that shows up. Most of the spam/scam stuff has come via text and are from numbers not in Colorado.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

rocklaurence wrote:Yeah, I noticed the same thing-not the scamers but the expense. Also, I noticed that because of the cost that there is only a fraction of the stuff on the site. Facebook Market Place has taken over for Clist. I wont be using Clist anymore and I used to sell a lot of Jeep Parts there and it was my primary source to find old Jeeps. Not anymore
Is it just autos that get charged to post or are all categories fee-cursed? I don’t do FB so I don’t know what I’m going to turn to. I really, REALLY don’t want to get sucked into FB.

itselliott

Post by itselliott »

Well, all I can say is that NONE of what you guys are experiencing is the case for MY postings on CL...…….it is the same as it has been for years.

cmaje72

Post by cmaje72 »

I kind of like FB marketplace since you can see info about who is messaging you. Makes it a little easier to weed out the idiots.
79 Cherokee 5.3/4l65E/NP241C
79 CJ7

Jagged

Post by Jagged »

I've noticed several sales ads, as they've always been, in the auto parts section--but that only works until it's reported or moderated out. If I recall, that bypasses the $5 requirement that started about a year ago (if my memory serves.) It was their attempt at drowning out the illegitimate vehicle ads. That said, yeah, FB Marketplace and OfferUp seem to really have taken over the vehicle sales market, but the problem is their search capabilities are abysmal. Drilling down takes more work than what it used to on CL, at least for me.

Honestly, I'm waiting for someone to come up with a listing service that just reads my mind and lets me know what parts are available before I even know I need them. ;)
1982 Jeep CJ-7, 4" lift, 35"s, Rust, AMC 401, T-18, D300 Twin-stick
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 6" Lift, 33"s, 4.0 I6, AW4, NP231
1979 Jeep Cherokee, 4-speed, 360

indigoer

Post by indigoer »

Scammers are everywhere, not only on CL
Famaga supplies industrial equipment and spare parts for companies from all over the world

ScramblerCJ8

Post by ScramblerCJ8 »

I use FB marketplace, I don't have a FB account but use my wifes and she added just my name to it. So far works for me, only problem I had was when I try to list one of my baby Jeeps, 87 YJ , and it would not let me put a bigger price than what the site thinks is worth.
Did not know about CL fee for listing cars, i'am usually buying stuff.