Cal DMV assessing a 2.1% fee to process E-paiement

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
letank

Cal DMV assessing a 2.1% fee to process E-paiement

Post by letank »

This is a bit ridiculous, of course 2.1% is not much for the classic vehicles that we drive... Same fee for debit or credit... So I sent a check... it took the DMV 8 days from cashing the check until issuing the tag, plus 3 days for snail mail.

For the next vehicle I paid the $2.xx fee to see how fast the tag will be delivered.

Edit: yes it is a newer fee, in 2019 it was free, the current fee is paid to a third party, I guess the DMV does not trust its computer system!
Last edited by letank on Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

SJTD

Re: Cal DMV assessing a 2.1% fee to process E-paiement

Post by SJTD »

Been renewing on the web for years but it's been a while since my last renewal. Seems I always used a CC without a fee but it could have been an e-check. Or maybe it's property taxes that took the e-check for free.

Guess I'll find out soon. I have two vehicles coming up.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

letank wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:14 pm This is a bit ridiculous, of course 2.1% is not much for the classic vehicles that we drive... Same fee for debit or credit... So I sent a check... it took the DMV 8 days from cashing the check until issuing the tag, plus 3 days for snail mail.

For the next vehicle I paid the $2.xx fee to see how fast the tag will be delivered.

Edit: yes it is a newer fee, in 2019 it was free, the current fee is paid to a third party, I guess the DMV does not trust its computer system!
You sure that fee isn't to cover what the credit card company takes when you make a payment? Lots of places do this, even a lot of gas stations (such as Arco).
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Been thinking about this. I'm pretty sure it was a CC I used to use and Kal didn't charge the fee. I found it surprising that they didn't.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
letank

Post by letank »

it makes sense, the CC are charging the vendors about 2%, the state is not willing to pay for the fee... but for a debit card it does not make sense.
Last edited by letank on Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michel

bigun

Post by bigun »

Most of the government agencies anymore charge for using a credit card

Topic author
letank

Post by letank »

if you pay the fee for electronic payment debit or credit it is faster... paid on Feb 1st... so lets start on the first business day, being Feb 3rd, it was issued and mailed on the 6th, and received on the 8th.
Michel

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Could you have used an e-check without a charge?
Sic friatur crustulum