FSJ vent window delete brain storming

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

FSJ vent window delete brain storming

Post by rocklaurence »

FSJ vent window delete and side mirror install. Im looking at developing a new product. I really think a newer truck side view mirror would look good on our trucks and it would mount in the area of the vent window. The divider rail at the front of the window would be moved forward to the area where the door angles down for the vent glass. This will make the vent glass area smaller and I will build a plate to fill the vent glass area. That plate will be the mount for the F150/Ram mirror. My question is: how hard is it to get a Glass Provider to cut custom door glass? It would be flat like the originals just 1-2" longer on the front side to fill the area when I move the divider rail/channel forward. Let me know what you think and weather youve worked with glass companies before.
Last edited by rocklaurence on Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PossumJr

Re: FSJ vent window delete brain storming

Post by PossumJr »

Interesting idea, but instead of moving the divider forward (which seems more trouble than it's worth IMO) why not make make the mirror mount to fit the existing vent window area but have it be two pieces, a solid bottom mount and an upper glass or perspex piece for visibility?
1979 J10, 360/QT

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

PossumJr wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:12 am Interesting idea, but instead of moving the divider forward (which seems more trouble than it's worth IMO) why not make make the mirror mount to fit the existing vent window area but have it be two pieces, a solid bottom mount and an upper glass or perspex piece for visibility?
Yes, I considered that and by sitting in the seat and looking out, I look for the blind spot that this will create. I was surprised to see that moving the divider channel forward made a big difference in the blind spot at the front of the window. Plus, adding a small window/glass will create another gasket. The plate that will replace the vent glass can easily be sealed with body seam seal. Keep the ideas coming :)

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Not difficult to have the glass cut but it needs to be tempered afterward. Untempered glass breaks into big pieces, tempered glass breaks into crumbs.

You would need new longer inner and outer wipes and the top/rear channel would have to be longer.

Got a picher of a mock up or Photoshopped pic?

Sonoraed eliminated the vent window and prolly could give you some ideas.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Ed did a vent window delete on his J10 with late model mirrors too. You can see his build thread here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6577
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

SJTD wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:35 pm Not difficult to have the glass cut but it needs to be tempered afterward. Untempered glass breaks into big pieces, tempered glass breaks into crumbs.

You would need new longer inner and outer wipes and the top/rear channel would have to be longer.

Got a picher of a mock up or Photoshopped pic?

Sonoraed eliminated the vent window and prolly could give you some ideas.
Wouldn't you cut Auto/safety glass? It would already be tempered with plastic between the layers? Or is side glass different?
Plus, the window glass isnt concave but flat. It would be a flat piece of glass just an inch or two longer?

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Side glass is tempered, no plastic layer. It can't be cut after tempering.

Never heard of safety glass for anything but a windshield. I don't think it's tempered. I assume so it'll hold together and not cover the driver with shrapnel and leave him with nothing between him and the air if it breaks at high speed. I don't know if it would be legal in a door.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Ed had custom glass cut for his doors. Which was pretty straight forward since the side glass is flat.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

letank

Post by letank »

page 12 and 13 of Ed's built

Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Yep, Ill have to talk to Ed and see where he got his materials [window wipes, channels, etc]. Ed used our FSSR on his project--Yay!

SJohn
Vendor

Post by SJohn »

Any update on this? I personally dislike the vent windows and am dreading replacing the weatherstripping on my windows.
Owner/Operator/Chief Engineer of Johnson Production FSJ Parts
https://www.johnsonproductionjp.com/

1986 J20 LS Swap
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewto ... 12&t=17875

1981 Cherokee Chief - Rustard - 2JZ swap
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewto ... 12&t=22981