COVID-19

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

bigun

Re: COVID-19

Post by bigun »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:53 pm

FWIW, those who still haven’t stocked up on stuff will have to be patient and creative where they look. I found a neat Restaurant supply warehouse that had everything I had on my list. (Didn’t look for tp, sorry.)
20# log of hamburger (about $22.00) and a 14# pork thing that’ll get cut into roasts. A bunch of other stuff like butter, milk, etc. think outside the box.
Tried the creative to find toilet paper,checking through janitorial suppliers no joy. We have enough for a month or so, plus all kinds of catalogs news print...
Kind of touching niece in TX decided to make an order from the Walmart 60 miles away for mom and I, but they were out of everything they ordered especially toilet paper. Dollar store gets a load in on Tuesday.
Local grocery store said they have gone through 2,000 pounds of Pinto beans in the last two weeks so that now they are limiting everyone to 5 pounds, the same with hamburger!

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

bigun wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:08 pmTried the creative to find toilet paper,checking through janitorial suppliers no joy. We have enough for a month or so, plus all kinds of catalogs news print...
Kind of touching niece in TX decided to make an order from the Walmart 60 miles away for mom and I, but they were out of everything they ordered especially toilet paper. Dollar store gets a load in on Tuesday.
Local grocery store said they have gone through 2,000 pounds of Pinto beans in the last two weeks so that now they are limiting everyone to 5 pounds, the same with hamburger!
Bigun, I hope you and mom are well. If my dad was still around, I bet he'd have at least 100# of Navy beans put away right now. Those long distance grocery runs are a pita when the shelves are empty. 40 mile round trip to Cortez Safeway on Tuesday revealed no meat (lots of seafood, oh and hog feet), no fresh produce except broccolino (wha?), no TP/tissues/paper towels, breads picked through and limited dairy. No BLEEP. We got a Family Dollar store in Mancos a couple years ago. I got the last 4 pack of TP there on the way home. We have at least a couple weeks worth. Unless I eat 5# of beans... Then we are screwed. Don't make me dig that TP roll out of the Jeep from 2006! It's not so much a roll as it is a cube. I should have put it in a ziplock. What a year it's been this month. On the plus side, I just picked up 178# of processed beef, half a young steer. Still have about 20# of hamburger from the last beef we got.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

bigun wrote:
tedlovesjeeps71 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:53 pm

FWIW, those who still haven’t stocked up on stuff will have to be patient and creative where they look. I found a neat Restaurant supply warehouse that had everything I had on my list. (Didn’t look for tp, sorry.)
20# log of hamburger (about $22.00) and a 14# pork thing that’ll get cut into roasts. A bunch of other stuff like butter, milk, etc. think outside the box.
Tried the creative to find toilet paper,checking through janitorial suppliers no joy. We have enough for a month or so, plus all kinds of catalogs news print...
It’s making “normal life” interesting, to say the least. Image I was in Walmart last week and had to pee (sorry tmi but it’s relevant Image) as I’m doing my thing I hear someone in the poop stall ya king on the toilet paper dispenser. I can only assume he was trying to steal what was in there? Wow.
At work (government job) we get our supplies through the system so much of it is made by skillcraft. The TP is single ply, not far removed from cardboard. I can’t imagine anyone trying to steal that but who knows. Haha
One idea I’ve seen a lot lately is people buying bidets. They make some that install in your existing toilet so you don’t need tp anymore. I’m not that concerned but(t) for some it’s a huge deal. We humans found a way for millennial without tp, it can be done.
Good on your niece. My family is doing similar. My mom, who is in her mid 80s, has been staying home, inside. I have one sister with a large family who live near her. They check on her daily and make runs for stuff she needs. My other sister and I live far enough away to not be of much help beyond making sure there is money for stuff (sending gift cards etc) and keeping in contact with her to keep her occupied. It’s gotta be terrifying to be older and forced to stay in your home to prevent risking catching this thing.
Thankfully the older generation have survived a lot in their lives. They are made of much stronger stuff imho.

letank

Post by letank »

Back from the farmer's market, at least half of the usual vendors have not shown up... seems like most of the stall were managed by the younger people.
As for protein, the powdery stuff is not cheap for keep for weeks without refrigeration, the next stuff that can go wrong: an earthquake... on top of that misery. People have not been serious, no social distancing, the park a few blocks away has been so crowded... people in packs walking the street, I guess this is remote work or remotely working.

The bidet installed on the toilet is tricky because the flow is coming from the back side... sorry for the details... because for women, it pushes the sticky stuff forward, so it is a big flaw and can lead to UTI Urinary Tract Infection
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

bigun

Post by bigun »

Mom is 92 in decent health, she does let our supplies get lower than I like. Toilet paper is one of those things I asked her back at the beginning of the month, how much did she have in her bath, her reply was "enough" (two rolls). I should have followed my instinct and grabbed some before the lemming went crazy, we're not going to run out before the madness ends. I hope! I did grab the last package of paper towels at the dollar store last week even as mom growled at me she had 2 more rolls (get the pattern) if we have to we can use them, if we have too. I have a couple of short rolls one in the car and one in my bag I carry just in case, when we are traveling
Bidet, LOL our water is so cold in the winter especial if you tried to use one you would lock up for a week

For your entertainment The Moron Brothers have a new song out for inspiration on how to get through these times :mrgreen:
Seems Like The World Is Out Of Toilet Paper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJZuZzU2Vsg

BCRAWLER

Post by BCRAWLER »

Just give you a heads up what we are doing here in Canada. The banks have offered up a program where you can differ your mortgage payments for 6 months due to layoff or financial issues. My office shut down on Friday and I got laid off.They are on salary ad will be working from home. On Monday be doing the unemployment dance. Let you know what they have done with that. I know on EI I know that house payments would have gone into the ditch. :roll:
1980 Cherokee,360/727/208, propane powered,unknown lift,31' Adventuro's on Chevy rims,Warn winch
1980 J10,360/standard/208, stepside
1970 GMC 4X4 Pickup, 78 frame, 84 350, Turbo 350/205, patina galore
1986 Blazer K5, 350/205/465 trans
1990 Cherokee XJ, about to scrap for FSJ parts, gone to parts graveyard in sky

bigun

Post by bigun »

Already drawing SS
Okay folks don't go to ebay looking for TP unless you want to have sticker shock!

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

BCRAWLER wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:54 pm Just give you a heads up what we are doing here in Canada. The banks have offered up a program where you can differ your mortgage payments for 6 months due to layoff or financial issues. My office shut down on Friday and I got laid off.They are on salary ad will be working from home. On Monday be doing the unemployment dance. Let you know what they have done with that. I know on EI I know that house payments would have gone into the ditch. :roll:
Many US banks are doing the same thing. For mortgages, and in some cases car loans too. And at least here in California, the utilities have all stated they will not induce late fees, and they will not be shutting off anybodies power/water/gas for lack of payment.

For anybody interested, the grocery store my wife works at has started to put limits on pretty every in-demand product. When they get some items like paper towels and toilet paper in, they have an employee hand out one per customer. They have also had to limit all of their meat and poultry items, because people would come in and buy $500 in meat, which is enough to feed a lot of families.

BUT, they are still getting things in. There is a shortage due to so many stores being empty, but the supply system is functioning fine, and they have not had any notices of there being issues with ranches or farms saying they will not have any products going out. So if you need things, be patient, stores are still getting things in. If the store you visit doesn't have something, you can typically ask on what day something may come in.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

bigun

Post by bigun »

I pay most of the bills on line, tend to buy a lot on line, hit me this morning that, that might not be a good idea right now!
Stuka hope your wife stays safe
Watch a driver on youtube "flatbed Dan" as the name implies he hauls a flatbed, said the other night there seems to be no shortage of dry box freight. My brother SIL and 2 nephews are running loads Houston to Denver M-F .
Cousin in MS was shopping for her family of 7 had some people start harassing her about over buying till she explained that with 5 kids, she bought the same amount every week.
This to shall pass

tedlovesjeeps71

It sure is an interesting, eye opening event to be experiencing. I don’t consider myself a “prepper” but was raised to always keep stuff on hand just-in-case. Watching people having issues getting stuff makes me very glad my parents raised me as they did. We don’t want for anything (including TP ) and can avoid any trips to the store for a couple months at least. Longer if need be but at the loss of some comfort food stuffs. Considering very few people today keep more than a few days supplies in their house, I wonder if anyone will learn from this?
If you squirrel away a little extra of food/stuff you use anyway when there is no global emergency, it isn’t like you’re wasting your money. You just don’t find yourself fighting everyone else when the time comes that you need it. It is those people who have not kept anything on hand that are causing the run on stores and causing the supply chain (which is still working fine) to be overwhelmed. They add stress, increase risk by going store to store, and then complain there is nothing available. I don’t get it. Why put yourself through all that on top of worrying about getting sick? *sigh* hopefully people take note and learn.

bigun

Post by bigun »

I have always been interested in being self sufficient, was into Mother Earth News before they got bought out, back when they would say we need a generator so we dug through the junk yard and found XYZ. They went from that to we need a generator so we contacted XYZ and here is what we found. Even when I was working out away from home I tried to have extra stuff on hand, never let the gas tank get below half...
One thing I wish and mom and I have talked about it is getting a whole house generator we used to not have very many outages and most of them were fairly short, but here lately it seems to be happening more often and several have been for more than 5 hours. I need to do a load calculation to see how much we would really need the place is on a 200 amp service, when you look for a generator that big you are into the commercial $10k plus price range!

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

bigun wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:35 pm
Bidet, LOL our water is so cold in the winter especial if you tried to use one you would lock up for a week

They have the ones that tap both hot and cold lines.

I had been contemplating ordering one for a few months. Bit the bullet after the idiot pandemic started(hoarders, not the actual issue). Now, it's stuck in Cali as amazon has halted shipments to allow for faster supply of medical stuff and essentials.

Ironically, just before the TP pandemic, I had bought a slightly larger than normal pack. Wife didn't know it and got another decent sized pack the day the hoarding started. We're good for about a month and a half easily.

Jeep is in the shop still. Rotating assembly should be done any day now. I have the timing cover at home, stripping/cleaning, and R&Ring the oil pump. Also have gardening beginning, so that keeps me occupied.

Having chickens has been a massive blessing. Eggs for days. My brother and my parents also have chickens. We also just sent a steer to process. We all should have close to 125# of beef in the freezer. Talk about divine timing.

Brother has been keeping tabs on my parents to keep them out of public. He's handling groceries. I do handyman type stuff should they need it.
We're keeping tabs on wife's grandparents as well.

Shop will happen for me in late July. Contractors have been covered up due to the boom. So, I still have to do stuff on a good day or in the house right now. Could be a lot worse.

Trying to keep from getting political, I'll say this:

Wish they would just halt everything for 30 days. All debts, payments, etc deferred. No interest accrued. Just like the button was pressed and deleted that month. Keep people at home. Have the govt simply provide meals through essential workers that deliver.

I'm not a fan of overreach. The less the government meddles in my life, the better I feel. However, this is only gonna get more devastating if swift action isn't taken right now.

I haven't been to the gym in over a week just to keep myself from additional danger of picking it up and carrying it to my family.
Governor just issued a directive today to close all gyms (among other things).

Yeah, I took my nephew out yesterday. We had wings at a local bar. I know we ran a bit of a risk. Had been planned for 2 months.
Place was dead.

Many were already being proactive and simply doing takeout.

Like always, it's just gonna be the few idiots that will ruin it for all.

Nephew wanted to go to the park or go to an activity center. Instead, we went to the house and I let him waste my paintball supply by blasting away at some stumps and a couple of outbuildings in the back 40. Paintball courses will be down for a bit now anyways.

Here's to all you Jeep infected freaks and your families staying safe out there! :D
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

bigun

Post by bigun »

dodgerammit wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:57 am

The water from the hot line has to run about 3 gallons before it starts getting warm! Because we live in a double wide and the water heater is about 50 feet away! :shock:

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

bigun wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:34 pm

The water from the hot line has to run about 3 gallons before it starts getting warm! Because we live in a double wide and the water heater is about 50 feet away! :shock:
Same for us.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

letank

Post by letank »

bigun wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:34 pm
Don't shoot for the front, but for the area of concern that is not that sensitive to cold water, in our home it is 1.5 gallons before the warm water kicks in, cold is fine, I am done before the warm water kicks in , this is the inconvenience of low flow system, cold water numbs the smell of "warm turd" which depending on what you have eaten can sometimes be offensive... sorry for the details, but we are at life 401... we passed 360!

You can cheap out, the travel package is a reducer that fits on any faucet and connects to a 1/4" irrigation hose, 12' is enough for most motel/restaurant or friend's cabin/home ... ha, ha, nobody is going to invite me overnight to their place anymore...

you can buy the adapter at any home improvement place... cannot find the reference, but it is in either the garden irrigation or the plumbing section. I'll grab a pict later.

The set up from amazon could sprang a small leak at the hand control valve, pop the cover and resecure the hose at the barb with new zip tie.

Hope that everyone is safe. We had a talk with some good friends from high school... I told them as it seems that the virus hangs out for a while in the throat, a little gargle with whisky after an outdoor errand... then you can swallow the beverage... Sorry officer it must be the antidote!

Edit: I new I've forgotten about the generator, A friend has been using for a least 6 years one of those highway tower lamp generator, it was cheap because abandoned on somebody property who was eager to let it go... cleaned and primed with ATF it started on the second crank, it is a 2cyl diesel air cooled generator rated at 6KW, free is a good price, they sell on ebay, but the shipping is a killer, the trailer brand is amida, and IIRC it is a british engine, Perkins I suspect. Otherwise you can get the newer version 3cyl water cooled diesel 8KW for $7K.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
pyro

Post by pyro »

Can vouch for the bidet! Definitely a good investment!
'81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
'82 Cherokee 258/TF904
'84 CJ-8 258/T176

Florida FSJ's Click Here!!!

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

pyro wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:50 pm Can vouch for the bidet! Definitely a good investment!
We all need good investments right now! :lol:

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

We have stuff here to stay in for quite some time. We have been preparing for a few years now so it is nice that once the mayhem started we were able to be of help. We helped ourselves by not being in the crowds looking for stuff to buy and we helped others by not buying things that they now need. I have taken leave from my work and my wife is converting to working at home. Luckily we can survive on a single paycheck at this point.

I have been working on getting the garden in and have cold weather plants already coming up. This is just the beginning of this for us in America. I have been following this in China since January (before we even knew about this in the western world) and it got pretty ugly there and probably still is. People here do not get it yet. And probably wont till it is too late.

I hope we all come out of this well on the other side, George.
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

tedlovesjeeps71

Used some of the money from selling my Jeep to top off the food reserves. 40lbs of boneless/skinless chicken breasts with rib meat, 16lb beef slab, 18lb pork loin.