COVID-19

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

tedlovesjeeps71

Re: COVID-19

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

dodgerammit wrote:Over 1000 confirmed cases today in TN. Wish this governor would shut down the state. Went from 150ish 7 days ago. An 8 month old has tested positive.
Hate to say it man, I have little belief shutting things down will do much. As soon as they started flying in people from China and sending them to all corners of CONUS it was too late. Someone (somewhere) mentioned giving the elderly and high risk a pass and letting everyone else make their own decisions as to if they want to keep working or not. That seems to make more sense to me at this point instead of having the government try and manage everyone’s lives.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

It is the only way to stop the spread. It will take several weeks given the rate of spread. If not, we're gonna top out Italy and Spain.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

letank

Post by letank »

dodgerammit wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:26 pm It is the only way to stop the spread. It will take several weeks given the rate of spread. If not, we're gonna top out Italy and Spain.
Today we even beat China... of course we will never know China's exact number, 85,2xx US of A vs 81,2xx for China, 80,5xx for Italy and 57,7xx for Spain, what a sad story
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

tedlovesjeeps71

dodgerammit wrote:It is the only way to stop the spread. It will take several weeks given the rate of spread. If not, we're gonna top out Italy and Spain.
Not to be argumentative but the best we can do is slow the spread, not stop it. As far as topping other places... I’ve given up trying to follow numbers/statistics. I’ve been following this closely since the beginning of January. Most of the people I talked to about it (including my wife) just blew off my warnings. Unfortunately chinas numbers are completely untrustworthy. Everyone else’s numbers are based on the idea of testing. Testing has been being don’t that long and not everyone is tested. Too many variables in everything to even try and believe statistics so I suffice it to say it’s bad and going to keep getting worse. Best Hope is they find a medical solution to control it and those who are infected don’t suffer the full blown possibilities. And obviously I hope those who are at risk can find a way of avoiding it until some solution is figured out.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Slow the spread down with true quarantines. Hold those in isolation till the two possible outcomes. Spread will eventually stop. Not a pretty or fast process, by any means. It can happen, though. Unfortunately, it will be drastic measure to do so.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

letank wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:07 pm
dodgerammit wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:26 pm It is the only way to stop the spread. It will take several weeks given the rate of spread. If not, we're gonna top out Italy and Spain.
Today we even beat China... of course we will never know China's exact number, 85,2xx US of A vs 81,2xx for China, 80,5xx for Italy and 57,7xx for Spain, what a sad story
I have seen on internet (yeah, really trustworthy, but I digress) that China had brought in something like 40 mobile incineration units to dispose of the amount of dead they had. This was on top of whatever they had. May be true. May be not.

They also tried to say the US Govt had planted the virus as an attack..... :roll:

tedlovesjeeps71

dodgerammit wrote:
letank wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:07 pm
I have seen on internet (yeah, really trustworthy, but I digress) that China had brought in something like 40 mobile incineration units to dispose of the amount of dead they had. This was on top of whatever they had. May be true. May be not.

They also tried to say the US Govt had planted the virus as an attack..... :roll:
Yeah, it’s a shame that any info out of China is suspect. We could have learned a great deal how to react or not react. I’ve heard the incinerator thing as well. Also seen people trying to use a thermal map to show the two crematoriums in Wuhan going full bore, 24/7. True? Who knows.
There are also videos of Chinese people being locked in their buildings and the doors welded shut. True or not that would never fly here.
The virus will run its course and unfortunately we can only do what we can and hope. I’m concerned, certainly, especially for my wife and my elderly mother. But I am also very disturbed by the reaction our government is taking both constitutionally and financially.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:02 pm
The virus will run its course and unfortunately we can only do what we can and hope. I’m concerned, certainly, especially for my wife and my elderly mother. But I am also very disturbed by the reaction our government is taking both constitutionally and financially.
I watched a documentary of the spanish flu. You should see what SF did to stop the spread. :shock:

tedlovesjeeps71

dodgerammit wrote:
tedlovesjeeps71 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:02 pm
I watched a documentary of the spanish flu. You should see what SF did to stop the spread. :shock:
Yeah, that was insane. There’s a place in Nebraska (Camp Ashland) which has a historical marker due to it having SF victims. Camp Ashland is now used as a school house for the Army and an army NG base. They closed it down a couple months back and bussed in some Coronavirus people. Yeesh. Some places have all the luck.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

SF in my post referred to San Fransisco. Sorry about the confusion. They had armed officers patrolling the streets. Made sure you were wearing a mask. They had stockpiled masks after the news of the flu was out and before it reached them. There were reports of people being stopped and told to put on their masks. If they refused, they were shot.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

dodgerammit wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:33 am SF in my post referred to San Fransisco. Sorry about the confusion. They had armed officers patrolling the streets. Made sure you were wearing a mask. They had stockpiled masks after the news of the flu was out and before it reached them. There were reports of people being stopped and told to put on their masks. If they refused, they were shot.
Official records suggest they would be arrested.

But there was a level of martial law. And its one of the reasons San Francisco was not hit as hard as some other cities.

The Spanish Flu (Avian originated H1N1) gives us a lot of data on how to stop an out break. As many cities and countries handled it differently. Some were very successful, some suffered horribly for bad decisions.

The 2009 Swine Flu Pandemic was also H1N1 based, and has similar symptoms to other Influenza A subtypes.

The Spanish Flu was very deadly because it was all new to the human population, much like what we are seeing now with SARS-CoV-2.

Another interesting difference between Swine and SARS2, is the Swine Flu mostly infected younger people, the older you were, the less likely to have complications from it. With SARS2, its the opposite. The older you are, the more likely you are to have complications from it.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Stuka wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:00 pm
dodgerammit wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:33 am SF in my post referred to San Fransisco. Sorry about the confusion. They had armed officers patrolling the streets. Made sure you were wearing a mask. They had stockpiled masks after the news of the flu was out and before it reached them. There were reports of people being stopped and told to put on their masks. If they refused, they were shot.
Official records suggest they would be arrested.

But there was a level of martial law. And its one of the reasons San Francisco was not hit as hard as some other cities.

The Spanish Flu (Avian originated H1N1) gives us a lot of data on how to stop an out break. As many cities and countries handled it differently. Some were very successful, some suffered horribly for bad decisions.

The 2009 Swine Flu Pandemic was also H1N1 based, and has similar symptoms to other Influenza A subtypes.

The Spanish Flu was very deadly because it was all new to the human population, much like what we are seeing now with SARS-CoV-2.

Another interesting difference between Swine and SARS2, is the Swine Flu mostly infected younger people, the older you were, the less likely to have complications from it. With SARS2, its the opposite. The older you are, the more likely you are to have complications from it.

What concerns me with the similarities, is that the Spanish flu had 3 separate outbreaks. First that started in rural America, then was shipped to Europe., Then in Europe is got stronger/mutated to the second form, then came back to America (worst form that killed the most), then mutated again and hit the following year (mildest form).

letank

Post by letank »

Stuka wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:00 pm Another interesting difference between Swine and SARS2, is the Swine Flu mostly infected younger people, the older you were, the less likely to have complications from it. With SARS2, its the opposite. The older you are, the more likely you are to have complications from it.
There is some debate about the population age depending on "ethnic" group, it is true for China and Italy, but it may change, as it is hitting the US, according to real newspapers it seems to be 50/50 at the moment, of course everything can change as the incubation time differs between age group so are the preceding signs... apparently in France in one retirement home the people did not show any fever or cough, but mostly "montezuma revenge" and a loss of balance, in the US some hospitals have been stunned by the amount of younger people who have come down with the fatal side of the pneumonia.

And yes it seems like the zombie apocalypse, I had to take a drive and there was so little traffic the freeway... yes San Fran area, about the same amount of cars when the 49ers played the superbowl. One of my kids had to go to work today, she said 20min commute instead of 40min.

So enjoy your evening and weekend, enjoy your favorite drink

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6912e2.htm
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

tedlovesjeeps71

I’m finding a bit of humor (trying to anyway) in the letters being given out by companies for their “essential workers”.
Wife works in the office of a moving company. I’m pretty sure their owner is just trying to keep things going through all this as it means they still make money. Thursday they gave all the office people a letter on company letterhead stating the bearer of it is essential to work, blah blah. No name of employee or address to business location (besides the corporate headquarters in a different state).
I work for the federal government and we got one that was even less understandable. It was drawn up on letterhead for the office of the attorney general and states that we are essential and allowed to pass any restrictions. No mention of our location, name of our organization or an individual employee, etc. written in a memorandum style and signed by the AG (supposedly).
As traffic is a little lighter due mostly to school closures, and the fact people are “restricted” to trips to medical facilities or grocery stores, I’m curious when I will ever see some sort of enforcement for the stay at home order? How will that play out? Seems more of a scare tactic than anything although the possibility of abuse of power is a bit disconcerting. Anyone remember the old WWll movies where the nazis were asking for papers! Papers please!!??!

bigun

Post by bigun »

Just heard from my cousin who works for Warn he just got furloughed first time he has been out of work in 35 years!
Went to town today, Dollar store had a 5 person limit, but the grocery store didn't weird. No TP not than we needed any, between the two of them we loaded up with everything we should need for another 2 weeks. Everybody was maintaining their distance which was weird, this is a small town where handshakes and hugs are the normal when you meet, mom's church is meeting outside of town because the mayor has said he will crack down on gathering of more that 10, her church has 12 the youngest is in their late 40s, personally I think it would be funny to watch three or four gray haired old ladies take him to the wood shed so to speak

will e

Post by will e »

Some positive news. My friend just picked up a 30 roll of charmin Ultra soft Jumbo roll 'wider sheets' at Costco at 10:30 in the morning. No lines. There were several on the shelf and people were not running to get them. Leftovers from the evenings stocking.

The TP run might be over.

There is hope. There is hope.

And they are saying now the deaths are goings to be closer to 60,000. Original predictions were 2 million.

It's time to get back to work!
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

will e wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:20 pm And they are saying now the deaths are goings to be closer to 60,000. Original predictions were 2 million.

The 2 million number was if we did nothing to curtail the spread, which most states now are actively employing social distancing. But that number was also over the course of the next year.

The 60k number is from now until august. The previous number was 82k.

But it is good news. But it will be a long time before things are back to the way there were a few months ago. Even once they start to open things back up, it will be in a limited fashion, or we will get right back into this state again. Up until there is a vaccine.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Stuka wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:36 pm
will e wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:20 pm And they are saying now the deaths are goings to be closer to 60,000. Original predictions were 2 million.

The 2 million number was if we did nothing to curtail the spread, which most states now are actively employing social distancing. But that number was also over the course of the next year.

The 60k number is from now until august. The previous number was 82k.

But it is good news. But it will be a long time before things are back to the way there were a few months ago. Even once they start to open things back up, it will be in a limited fashion, or we will get right back into this state again. Up until there is a vaccine.
Yep. It will balloon again. It's not just gonna stop infecting people. It is a viral infection.

tedlovesjeeps71

I gave up trying to make sense of the “numbers” back around December. The reality is they are all skewed in one way or another. From the onset with China playing their games to the introduction of the virus to the US via a multitude of directions. Add in the spread by those who carried it but showed no symptoms, those who were never tested, those who died but the cause was labeled as something other than the virus or were not tested post expiration...
The numbers just don’t even serve a purpose anymore.
Some look at them and see some reincarnation of the Spanish flu or the Black Plague. Some look at the numbers and are told things are getting better, the “curve” is flattening.
I’m not an unsympathetic guy and I know we need to do what we can to try and protect those who are high risk from this. But for me, my true fear is the way our nation has been forced into the idea that they must stay home, not work, and believe the government will provide for all their needs. And the unfathomable level of spending being spewed in all directions... that bill will come due. And THAT concerns me greatly.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:47 pm I gave up trying to make sense of the “numbers” back around December. The reality is they are all skewed in one way or another. From the onset with China playing their games to the introduction of the virus to the US via a multitude of directions. Add in the spread by those who carried it but showed no symptoms, those who were never tested, those who died but the cause was labeled as something other than the virus or were not tested post expiration...
The numbers just don’t even serve a purpose anymore.
Some look at them and see some reincarnation of the Spanish flu or the Black Plague. Some look at the numbers and are told things are getting better, the “curve” is flattening.
I’m not an unsympathetic guy and I know we need to do what we can to try and protect those who are high risk from this. But for me, my true fear is the way our nation has been forced into the idea that they must stay home, not work, and believe the government will provide for all their needs. And the unfathomable level of spending being spewed in all directions... that bill will come due. And THAT concerns me greatly.
I seen somewhere the entire global economy is in debt. How much, I can't remember. But who are we in debt to at a global level? I don't think the bill will come due. I think it'll be a massive reset. Won't be pretty either way.