Who had right of way?

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
will e

Who had right of way?

Post by will e »

I caught this on my dash cam. Guy on a bicycle comes into the traffic circle. Traffic coming into the circle has to yield. I didn't honk and no words were exchanged. But I think he was in the wrong and not being very smart. Thoughts? (Here is my 18 second capture on youtube)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T25jqKw ... e=youtu.be
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

letank

Re: Who had right of way?

Post by letank »

The bigger and older vehicle has the right of way... the cyclists always seem to take a chance... come to SF and appreciate the constant rodeos, even being a pedestrian requires careful navigation ... the cyclists have an idea that being narrower they can sneak in between a car and the curb...
I used to ride a bicycle in town, no more, the motorbike gets you seen... and heard
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

The vehicle in the round-a-bout always has the right of way. The vehicle (bicycle is a vehicle) merging into the round-a-bout must yield to vehicles already in it.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Agree with Stuka. Bicyclists are always crying “share the road” but often ignore any traffic laws they don’t agree with. Stop/yield being two of the biggest.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Agree with Stuka as well. And I'm a cyclist. I usually ride rural, so a stop sign for me is stop if a car is coming anywhere in my line of sight as far as I can see. Urban areas are always 100% follow rules. I don't do highways, etc, other than to cross them. Those are always 100% stop and make dang sure nothing is coming.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

That's a good way for the bicycler to get a flat. Bike. Flat bike.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

When i was tear assin around on my old Harley, I observed the rules of the road like anyone else. It disturbs me that motorcyclists these days cut in and out of traffic and such. I feel pedal bikes should follow the same rules. Mind you they may have to adapt a little due to traffic and other bad drivers...
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

HowardT64 wrote:When i was tear assin around on my old Harley, I observed the rules of the road like anyone else. It disturbs me that motorcyclists these days cut in and out of traffic and such. I feel pedal bikes should follow the same rules. Mind you they may have to adapt a little due to traffic and other bad drivers...
That would simply seem like logical self-preservation to me. You ride a pedal bike and want to play in traffic with metal vehicles powered by actual motors, you better have your head on a swivel.
Out where I live we have a few roads that are often taken over by the pedal bike club riders. It’s a virtually straight pair of roads with minimal up and down and they can easily get in a 20 mile ride.
Problem is they ride in packs. Multiple bikes abreast and can be 20 bikes long. They ride at about 20mph, maybe 30?, on a road that is posted at 50. Passing them is a dangerous as the road goes up and down in shallow hills. Being stuck behind them is just as bad. And it’s not unusual to have some of them wave hello with just the middle finger if you do pass them.

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

I hate when the large groups of bikes don't 'share the road'.

The dude in the video doesn't look like your average bike enthusiast.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

will e wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:15 am I hate when the large groups of bikes don't 'share the road'.

The dude in the video doesn't look like your average bike enthusiast.
Funny how the share the road mentality works. Kinda similar to the "bikers are dying to be seen" slogan in my state referring to motorcyclists.
I had the biggest bone to pick with the few bad ones that would tailgate and pass at any opportunity, even to the point of running you off the road trying to avoid them. Basically, being @$$hats and giving the overwhelming number of good ones a bad name.
After a few of those idiots died from their own doing, I haven't had the aggravation of putting up with them on the road.
Funny how a good dose of Social Darwinism will take care of things. :D
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

While you definitely had the right of way, thanks for not killing that guy even though you could have. Hopefully someday he'll recognize the error of his ways and become a better person.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

REDONE wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:55 pm While you definitely had the right of way, thanks for not killing that guy even though you could have. Hopefully someday he'll recognize the error of his ways and become a better person.
You're the best. :) To tell you the truth it happened pretty quick. It's a bit fortunate that I tend to hug the inside curb on the roundabout and he kept pretty close to the curb. I was rather 'proud' of myself that I didn't get on the horn or escalate. He was on my 'bad eye' side but the peripheral vision is still good enough that I saw him at the last moment and slowed down.

I am hopeful that he will see the video on line and realize the errors of his ways and decide to make better life choices. /s

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Stuka wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 3:33 pm The vehicle in the round-a-bout always has the right of way. The vehicle (bicycle is a vehicle) merging into the round-a-bout must yield to vehicles already in it.
Yes. Bicycles are vehicles. You have the right of way. However, I would cut the cyclist some slack as long as he stayed to the right and out of the traffic lane. I watch this and don't see any horribly offensive lane hogging by the cyclist. Riding on the margins sucks - glass and debris and dirt - but it also costs a lot of energy to stop and then move out into the traffic lane. And then you'd have to brake for a slow-moving cyclist legally in your lane. As long as you cooperated and no one gets hurt, no harm no foul.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

Tim you are right. He wasn't trying to force his right of way, he kept close to the curb. Still, it did catch me off guard and I hit the brakes.

No harm no foul. I didn't 'punish' him with my horn. There is no advantage to it. We just went on our merry way.

RustyDusty

Post by RustyDusty »

I agree with Tim & Will. With all parties driving very carefully, all were in the right legally (no crossed paths.) The penalty would have been very high for the bike had you not been a conscientious driver. He was experienced with his responsibilities also if you noticed at the next intersection that he stayed in the very narrow strip to the left of the right turn lane as he seemed to be going straight. With today's distracted drivers, I do not know if I would be so trusting--no matter my skill level.
1990 Grand Wag
R4B/Holley 4160
I might lament the amount of grease and oil on the underside, until I think about the lack of rust.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

RustyDusty wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:53 pm I agree with Tim & Will. With all parties driving very carefully, all were in the right legally (no crossed paths.) The penalty would have been very high for the bike had you not been a conscientious driver. He was experienced with his responsibilities also if you noticed at the next intersection that he stayed in the very narrow strip to the left of the right turn lane as he seemed to be going straight. With today's distracted drivers, I do not know if I would be so trusting--no matter my skill level.
While everything worked out, the bike did not enter the round-a-bout legally. The rules for a round-a-bout are pretty clear, the bike was required to yield to traffic already in the round-a-bout and merge in after the truck.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ