Firearm shopping (handgun)

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
dodgerammit

Firearm shopping (handgun)

Post by dodgerammit »

Okay, so this is somewhat new for me.
I was raised around guns. Primarily rifles and shotguns. And those I am pretty comfortable around.
I have a couple myself since I raise chickens and use them as needed to take care of predators.

I am not a gun fanatic. I have no problem with guns. This post is not to debate the issues of them.

Backstory.

Up to couple years ago, I was very active in self defense training with a local martial arts studio, practicing in both Krav and Jiu Jitsu.
I saw no need to carry a firearm. I figured if I was in close proximity of someone pulling a gun on me, I'd attack and take away the gun. It really isn't that hard. I actually fear knives more.

That was until, I slipped the lower disc in my back the first time. I have since slipped it once more. I regularly see a chiropractor for decompression and adjustment. I have moderate scoliosis.

If it came down to it, I'd still fight in a scenario if needed. However, I know just how easy it would be for a wrong move to render me a worthless heap on the ground.

Self defense is all about increasing your odds.

Hence, after much internal debate, I am now reconsidering my personal stance. Especially after a couple of light road aggression instances lately.
Not full on rage, thankfully. Just people being impatient and acting like general ***holes. But this used to be uncommon here. It is getting more frequent.

I am actively researching the different models. After purchase, I will take the training and courses I need to feel safe in handling the gun.
I also plan to frequent the range. I'm a firm believer that without regular practice, I would be more danger than help in a real scenario.

I have the support of my younger brother, whom is well versed and knowledgeable in all things boom.
He and I have been shooting at a local range a few times, with him always letting me try out different guns to see what I like.
Also have a local friend assisting me in my search for a self defense setup.

Now, back to the current:

I am looking for a 9mm (at the advice of my brother) due to relatively inexpensive ammo allowing lots of practice time for little expense.
I am also wanting to stay around $500 if possible.
I prefer double/single action semi auto with hammer. Dunno why, but I really honed in on this kind early in my research.
I also honed in on all metal (primarily alloy frame) guns. I just am not a fan of polymer framed. Dunno why.
I prefer compact to midsize. I have small, but long fingers. My biggest concern would be making sure all fingers could grip the handle without any fighting to stay on.

I have visited the local pawn shop to test feel one that had my interest. It was a S&W 5906. While nice, it was solid stainless and felt heavy and unbalanced in my hand. It was unloaded, so the feel may change once the clip is full.
Also held a couple of 59s, one being a nickel plated version. It felt great, however wasn't a fan of the shine, even though it looked nice. Further reviewing I discovered most people say pass on the 59s due to issues. They just weren't as reliable as later revisions.

My goal is to narrow down the ones that feel right, then try to rent or borrow those models to actually try out at a range.

So, tentatively, I have a list as follows:

Smith & Wesson:

5903/5904-Really would like to try this one out, given how the 1st gen 59 felt
915-A viable, less fancy alternative to above
6906-A bit smaller and lighter than the 59xx version.

CZ:

75 or a variant

Ruger:

P85/P89-amazing owner reviews of these to. Durable, reliable, but may be a bit heavy. I'll really just have to hold one to see.

Taurus PT92/99

Beretta Cougar (or the knockoff Cougar)

Sig 226, 228, 239 - Unsure of these as some seem to be on the sub compact side.

Some of these may be way more than the $500 range, depending on availability and condition. I know most, if not all of these are no longer manufactured.

So, if you have suggestions, experience, etc, offer it up. I'm all ears. :)
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

REDONE

Re: Firearm shopping (handgun)

Post by REDONE »

You might as well have asked everyone's favorite form of abortion. This is a flammable topic for both sides of the issue, so take it to a gun forum and delete this post before it turns into the shitshow we all know it's going to be.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

REDONE wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:30 pm You might as well have asked everyone's favorite form of abortion. This is a flammable topic for both sides of the issue, so take it to a gun forum and delete this post before it turns into the shitshow we all know it's going to be.
I read the rules. However, I'll happily remove it if people are gonna be that butt hurt over something.I see stuff I don't agree with all the time. I just move on.

Anyway. How do I delete?
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

I see no issue with the post. I am in the same boat when it comes to defending myself. But I stay inside most of the time and I watch to make sure I keep out of trouble as well...My back has enough hardware to make an alternator bracket... so most of my martial arts training may not help me.

*shrug*
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

will e

Post by will e »

This is like manifold vs ported vacuum.

Okay, just kidding.

My plan, before the Covid created crisis, was to join a local gun 'club' (business). With a year membership you get 'free' gun rentals. Of course it's at their range and you have to use their ammo. Most gun ranges have this kind of deal but in my area many have a limited selection of 'rental' guns. Think glock glock glock glock glock glock glock glock glock and one other non-glock. But we do have one that has about 40 or 50 different rental guns. So I am going to join them and then try out different options. They may not have 'the very latest' available in the rental group but I think it will really help me narrow down my options. Yes, membership isn't cheap, it's about half the cost of a nice quality firearm, but I figure I will save that money not buying something and then finding out it doesn't work for me.

My current daily is a Springfield Armory XD 40. They also make it in a 9mm. 15 years ago or so it was pretty cutting edge but I find it to be a bit bulky to easily conceal. It's very similar to a glock but it has a grip safety in addition to the trigger safety. It also has visual/tactical indicators for being cocked and if one is in the chamber. It's a work horse. When I go to the range I purposely don't clean it in advance and it fires every time.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

will e wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:10 pm This is like manifold vs ported vacuum.

Okay, just kidding.

My plan, before the Covid created crisis, was to join a local gun 'club' (business). With a year membership you get 'free' gun rentals. Of course it's at their range and you have to use their ammo. Most gun ranges have this kind of deal but in my area many have a limited selection of 'rental' guns. Think glock glock glock glock glock glock glock glock glock and one other non-glock. But we do have one that has about 40 or 50 different rental guns. So I am going to join them and then try out different options. They may not have 'the very latest' available in the rental group but I think it will really help me narrow down my options. Yes, membership isn't cheap, it's about half the cost of a nice quality firearm, but I figure I will save that money not buying something and then finding out it doesn't work for me.

My current daily is a Springfield Armory XD 40. They also make it in a 9mm. 15 years ago or so it was pretty cutting edge but I find it to be a bit bulky to easily conceal. It's very similar to a glock but it has a grip safety in addition to the trigger safety. It also has visual/tactical indicators for being cocked and if one is in the chamber. It's a work horse. When I go to the range I purposely don't clean it in advance and it fires every time.
Thank you for this advise. I'm completely fine with renting and buying ammo to try out different models. I kind like being a do it right the first time guy.
Yeah, I get the glock thing. I'm not even savvy concerning this stuff and already see it. :lol:

Unfortunately, I lean toward the models that would be too bulky to conceal. I'm only 135# and 6'1", so yeah, I'm a twig. I just have big hands as far as length and don't like the small grip stuff.

bigun

Post by bigun »

If you have a place near by that you can rent and try, I would say to do that, personally I carry a S&W MP 2 in .45, why .45 you ask because they don't make a .46! All joking aside go with what feels right for you, before all the hoopla started I was looking at picking up a Taurus 605 .357, the Taurus is infinitely more concealable than a semi Auto, plus you can use .38s to practice (much Cheaper) only shooting full loads so that you can be used to the difference in aim, usually done that last couple of targets and in the hands of someone who is just starting out a much more safer weapon in my mind. Oh I am called bigun for a reason, I used to kid that I was made from left over Orangutan parts as my arms are 37 inches long (the only long sleeve shirt I have ever worn was made for me by a friends mom in the 70s. The last two inches above my hands are always exposed to the cold in the winter) my hands are wide thick with long thick fingers IE a size 12 ring barely fits past the middle knuckle of my little finger, and the Taurus feels good in my hands
Good luck on your search, please remember that owning one is a deep responsibility, you can now end life, contrary to what most people claim, you will find yourself being calmer and less likely to get into arguments. You will find you stop think and look around before getting out of the car to make sure you aren't walking into trouble (Something you should be doing anyway).
Practice, practice, practice, find a range that will allow you to shoot from various positions such if your range won't let you find somewhere that you. Sitting down you will be amazed at how that comfortable holster you use when standing becomes a liability when sitting, how about you have been knocked down and you have to draw laying on your back most of this can be practiced at home, but live fire is the best teacher. Learn to shoot with your off hand, what if someone has a hold of your strong hand or it has become incapacitate ( I got doused with roofing tar and lost use of my right arm for a while, I practiced till I could draw and fire equally well with my left of course being left eye dominate helps) for some reason or if the concrete wall you are hiding behind only allows you to use your weak hand, practice practice practice reloading, getting your sight picture before you squeeze the trigger,

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

bigun wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:14 pm If you have a place near by that you can rent and try, I would say to do that, personally I carry a S&W MP 2 in .45, why .45 you ask because they don't make a .46! All joking aside go with what feels right for you, before all the hoopla started I was looking at picking up a Taurus 605 .357, the Taurus is infinitely more concealable than a semi Auto, plus you can use .38s to practice (much Cheaper) only shooting full loads so that you can be used to the difference in aim, usually done that last couple of targets and in the hands of someone who is just starting out a much more safer weapon in my mind. Oh I am called bigun for a reason, I used to kid that I was made from left over Orangutan parts as my arms are 37 inches long (the only long sleeve shirt I have ever worn was made for me by a friends mom in the 70s. The last two inches above my hands are always exposed to the cold in the winter) my hands are wide thick with long thick fingers IE a size 12 ring barely fits past the middle knuckle of my little finger, and the Taurus feels good in my hands
Haha. I've accepted I'm a bent twig. I'm good with it as long as I'm relatively healthy and can enjoy my life.

bigun wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:14 pm Good luck on your search, please remember that owning one is a deep responsibility, you can now end life, contrary to what most people claim, you will find yourself being calmer and less likely to get into arguments. You will find you stop think and look around before getting out of the car to make sure you aren't walking into trouble (Something you should be doing anyway).
Agreed. Thankfully, the martial arts and self defense training ingrained that mindset into me. Deescalation is always the first choice, but awareness is key. I also only recently got a smartphone. Still not a huge fan of them, so I'm not always staring at the screen.
bigun wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:14 pm Practice, practice, practice, find a range that will allow you to shoot from various positions such if your range won't let you find somewhere that you. Sitting down you will be amazed at how that comfortable holster you use when standing becomes a liability when sitting, how about you have been knocked down and you have to draw laying on your back most of this can be practiced at home, but live fire is the best teacher. Learn to shoot with your off hand, what if someone has a hold of your strong hand or it has become incapacitate ( I got doused with roofing tar and lost use of my right arm for a while, I practiced till I could draw and fire equally well with my left of course being left eye dominate helps) for some reason or if the concrete wall you are hiding behind only allows you to use your weak hand, practice practice practice reloading, getting your sight picture before you squeeze the trigger,
Solid advice! I also do paintball for fun with good friends and have already had the fun of switching back and forth between hands and trying different positions. My self defense instructor always made sure of practicing in disadvantaged positions. I may hit him up the next time he goes to the range for some one on one training as he and a few of my fellow peers do occasionally go there in a group.

Ironically, I too am right handed yet left eye dominant. Just discovered the eye trait recently.

Thank you!

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

dodgerammit wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:45 pm

I read the rules. However, I'll happily remove it if people are gonna be that butt hurt over something.
Scared old men with guns are leaving brown people "butthurt" to death every time I turn around.
They're also killing their kids and handing guns to their grandkids so they can kill themselves in "tragic accidents". You ready to bury your kids? Grandkids?
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/unintentio ... lockdowns/
(While the stat's come from "everytown for gun safety", you have to remember that the government is legally prohibited from tracking these statistics itself).

Are you really so scared of the boogie man that you need a gun to buy groceries? If so, skip the handgun, let the world know that you're packin' and haul around your rifle! Everyone else in Piggly Wiggly deserves to know that you, the Jason Borne of Tennessee has got their six! Then again, guns don't protect you from "boogymen".
https://www.cleveland19.com/2020/03/09/ ... east-side/

And just in case you missed it, and contrary to popular belief,guns don't protect citizens from an oppressive government, either:

Did you see all the "Threeper's", "Federalists", and "Oath Keepers" out there protecting our Constitutional right to assemble? Me neither.

You don't need a handgun. Nobody "needs" a handgun. The only people that carry a handgun are Cops, Crooks, and Chicken****s. Which one are you?
Grizzly Locker Rear

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

REDONE wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:37 pm
dodgerammit wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:45 pm

I read the rules. However, I'll happily remove it if people are gonna be that butt hurt over something.
Scared old men with guns are leaving brown people "butthurt" to death every time I turn around.
They're also killing their kids and handing guns to their grandkids so they can kill themselves in "tragic accidents". You ready to bury your kids? Grandkids?
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/unintentio ... lockdowns/
(While the stat's come from "everytown for gun safety", you have to remember that the government is legally prohibited from tracking these statistics itself).

Are you really so scared of the boogie man that you need a gun to buy groceries? If so, skip the handgun, let the world know that you're packin' and haul around your rifle! Everyone else in Piggly Wiggly deserves to know that you, the Jason Borne of Tennessee has got their six! Then again, guns don't protect you from "boogymen".
https://www.cleveland19.com/2020/03/09/ ... east-side/

And just in case you missed it, and contrary to popular belief,guns don't protect citizens from an oppressive government, either:

Did you see all the "Threeper's", "Federalists", and "Oath Keepers" out there protecting our Constitutional right to assemble? Me neither.

You don't need a handgun. Nobody "needs" a handgun. The only people that carry a handgun are Cops, Crooks, and Chicken****s. Which one are you?

:roll:

Typical stereotyping of gun owners.

How is that different than the idiots that group all blacks together as hoods?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

SJTD wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:07 pm

Typical response of a gun fetishist. ;)

Who in their right mind right now would ask "What's the best gun for a crippled old man afraid for no-reason-in-particular to walk around with?"

Honestly, where is the "right venue" for that question? How does that fit in a community centered on a specific niche of vintage Jeeps? If it ever did, it doesn't now. Take it to the murder fetish echo chamber.
Grizzly Locker Rear

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

SJTD wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:07 pm :roll:

How is that different than the idiots that group all blacks together as hoods?
I didn't miss this, and this is not a personal attack on you (you are not a stupid person), but this is a stupid question and I've spent the last couple hours trying to think of the kindest way to say that.
One assumes physical traits (skin color) determine ideology and behavior, the other recognizes those that define their ideology and behavior (I want to shoot things that scrare me), SHARE that idiology and behavior (I want to shoot things, overwhelmingly black people, that scare me).

It's worth noting that my ire is directed towards "handguns" and not "gun owners", but I know from your response that the distinction doesn't matter to you. (I'm more aligned with Ramon Rojo, having been in an actual firefight and what not).

BTW, I'm a gun owner, a war veteran, and I support gun registration, licensing, and continuing education requirements. Not every A-hole and idiot should have access to a firearm. ;)
Grizzly Locker Rear

cone

Post by cone »

REDONE wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:30 pm You might as well have asked everyone's favorite form of abortion. This is a flammable topic for both sides of the issue, so take it to a gun forum and delete this post before it turns into the shitshow we all know it's going to be.
Congratulations, you just turned this topic into a shitshow. Here's a thought, if you don't agree with the topic don't read it.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Freedom of speech and Right to bare arms are two freedoms allotted in America [others also]. There are plenty of Laws regarding violence, stealing, proper behavior that is to protect people from having their rights infringed upon by others. So, we don't need more laws enacted regarding weapons/speech/drugs/etc because the lawless will not abide by the current laws and I dont want my rights and privileges removed/restricted to limit the Lawless.
No, I dont want my family, friends and neighbors not to have guns. I want responsible peoples to be able to protect themselves, family and friends from the Lawless.

Most every vehicle can easily exceed the legal speed limit. Should all vehicles be restricted to 70 mph because people are more likely to be killed at higher speeds in an accident? No, let a person buy a 700 hp Dodge Demon if they want one. However, some Lawless Jackass is going to drive one irresponsibly, drunk, or on wet roads. I dont want someone else's possible bad behavior preventing my Pursuit of Haplessness.

Oh, IMO S&W 9mm single stack for concealed weapon carry.

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

cone wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:59 am
Congratulations, you just turned this topic into a shitshow. Here's a thought, if you don't agree with the topic don't read it.
This.

REDONE, I already was polite and asked you the simple question. How do I go about deleting this thread? However, you have proven your point is that YOU are the one who wants to hijack and derail a thread just because someone has a differing opinion than you. YOU offered no help in answering my one request in dealing with the concern YOU had. Posting childish memes shows YOU are the one who isn't an adult. I was simply gonna ignore trolls of this thread, however YOU are hellbent on making sure this gets taken down by undermining it. If you actually read my post, You would see I'm going to do the whole legal aspect of the process. Training and registration (which has to happen by law).

FWIW, my grand fathers (both sides of family) showed me how to properly handle guns. I completely understand what their purpose is. I have no children, however, do keep my guns in a secure location regardless.

Love how you claim not a personal attack after personally attacking me for asking a simple question.

I agree. Not every A-hole needs access to a firearm.

Not every A-hole needs to attack others and derail threads for asking a question.

bigun

Post by bigun »

STUKA Time to shut this down before someone says something we'll regret.
Dodgermatt I suggest you register on Irate4x4.com and go to the outdoor sports and rec forum or PM me or others

Redone I had a long essay written in reply, but I erased it this has already gone to far, and already turned into the kind of thread Pirate and other forums are known for. Do not congratulate yourself thinking you have won, because the real facts are not in your favor.
Dodgermatt or STUKA please shut this down

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

bigun wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:08 am STUKA Time to shut this down before someone says something we'll regret.
Dodgermatt I suggest you register on Irate4x4.com and go to the outdoor sports and rec forum or PM me or others

Redone I had a long essay written in reply, but I erased it this has already gone to far, and already turned into the kind of thread Pirate and other forums are known for. Do not congratulate yourself thinking you have won, because the real facts are not in your favor.
Dodgermatt or STUKA please shut this down
I would shut it down, however, I don't know how or if I have the option, hence why my 1st reply was asking how to delete it.

It just turned into the thread REDONE wanted it to be. I actually held this forum and its members in pretty high regard. I thought we could actually discuss this and be adults. I guess I was wrong.

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

FWIW, the holster you select has more effect on concealment than the size of the gun. I am 5'5", 135lbs, and I carry a full size 1911 in .45ACP, everyday.
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

will e

Post by will e »

Get a holster that you can put the firearm into with just one hand.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

REDONE wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:42 pm
SJTD wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:07 pm

Typical response of a gun fetishist. ;)

Who in their right mind right now would ask "What's the best gun for a crippled old man afraid for no-reason-in-particular to walk around with?"

Honestly, where is the "right venue" for that question? How does that fit in a community centered on a specific niche of vintage Jeeps? If it ever did, it doesn't now. Take it to the murder fetish echo chamber.
No, the response of a gun owner tired of being lumped together with nuts.

So your advice to the OP is "don't worry about it", odds are you'll never need it? Like any particular individual wildebeest in a herd.

This is the "General Chat". Seems like a good place for that question.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.