Headlight questions

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
Jguess85

Headlight questions

Post by Jguess85 »

I have a 1981 Cherokee Chief. I recently put in a new headlight dimmer switch and all of that. I also recently removed the carpet and seats and everything to fix the floor boards. After fixing and putting the seats back in my headlights will only work on high beam. no on low beam. I am chalking this up to the "i fix one thing and something else goes wrong" method. But what could cause the head lights not to work on low beam but will on high? could it be my high beam switch that needs to be replaced? i did unplug everything that ran to the high beam floor switch and all the wires that were connected to the seat belts. i made sure to plug those back in correctly.

Any help would be amazing!
thanks.

letank

Re: Headlight questions

Post by letank »

bypass the foot switch and make some temporary leads to connect the wires directly with an intermediary wire
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

And you can test the switch with multimeter. It looks like it’s receiving power feed, but either not making contact for low beams or there is an interruption somewhere downstream

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

Couple of questions, ideas, suggestions. What kind of condition was the plug in that attaches to the floor dimmer? The plastic gets pretty beat up over the years and cracks could cause the packard terminals inside to short. I think a replacement terminal housing is readily available at one of the nationa l parts chains, but you may have to search for a universal part to find it. Were the terminals clean or green or white with corrosion>? After checking those things the next place I'd look is the ground on the inner LH fender before it passes through the radiator support. I'd clean that anyways, sand/ file the paint and terminal and add a new star washer for some extra bite.

Fleet Fox
I do things my way, and I pay a high price.... JCM

Topic author
Jguess85

Post by Jguess85 »

FLeetFox wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:26 pm Couple of questions, ideas, suggestions. What kind of condition was the plug in that attaches to the floor dimmer? The plastic gets pretty beat up over the years and cracks could cause the packard terminals inside to short. I think a replacement terminal housing is readily available at one of the nationa l parts chains, but you may have to search for a universal part to find it. Were the terminals clean or green or white with corrosion>? After checking those things the next place I'd look is the ground on the inner LH fender before it passes through the radiator support. I'd clean that anyways, sand/ file the paint and terminal and add a new star washer for some extra bite.

Fleet Fox
Aw thank you! i will start getting on that. Thank you for the great advice!

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

It could be bad ChiCom switch too.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle