fire Map resources

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
letank

fire Map resources

Post by letank »

here we go, more sad stories to come, but here is a link that covers all areas, zoom to your location

https://maps.nwcg.gov/sa/?fbclid=IwAR0y ... 115.9496/7

Some counties seems to be better prepared than others.

here is nevada county dashboard

https://nevcounty.maps.arcgis.com/apps/ ... 865349e72e
Last edited by letank on Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: fire Map resources

Post by Stuka »

Yeah, its pretty bad. Fires like this in the bay area are unheard of. I think its been since the oakland hills fire since we saw anything like this.

Friend of mine's childhood home burned down near santa cruz.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

lkmarsh

Post by lkmarsh »

Wednesday we had ash falling from the Del Puerto Canyon fire, no ground level smoke till Thursday and today.
Quarter million acres and 10% containment. Sent a nasty email to Cal Fire over the way they ruined the
fire map web page. Now it's "mobile-friendly" and PC-hostile. Can you tell I'm getting old and cranky?
Lyle
69 1414x Buick350/Th400/D20
PDB, HEI, relays, rallyes, rhino, rust...
73 Wagoneer parts donor

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

lkmarsh wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:46 pm Wednesday we had ash falling from the Del Puerto Canyon fire, no ground level smoke till Thursday and today.
Quarter million acres and 10% containment. Sent a nasty email to Cal Fire over the way they ruined the
fire map web page. Now it's "mobile-friendly" and PC-hostile. Can you tell I'm getting old and cranky?
I have been using this one. It works well on PC, and it shows where the fire is currently burning via satellite thermal imaging. So it doesnt show places that have already burned, but places that are currently burning.

One thing of note, to zoom in or out, you have to use the +/- buttons in the upper left of the map.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/projects/ca ... -fire-map/
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
letank

Post by letank »

lkmarsh wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:46 pm Wednesday we had ash falling from the Del Puerto Canyon fire, no ground level smoke till Thursday and today.
In San Mateo county the only information links are twitter... I go to twitter... and the only post is about some 2019 accident on the freeway... I am sure they are overwhelmed... as one fire captain said, it will get worse before it gets better... Probably nobody anticipated lightning strikes around here... there is no real communities to absorb such a high cost of firefighting, albeit San Mateo county is probably one of the wealthiest county in the nation -it is silicon valley- along with Santa Clara county.... and Marin county north of SF which had the highest rate of covid infections... As said do not ask your government what it can do for you... but what can we do... go to city meeting and feel sorry for the one who have volunteered to be a public official... I went to some public hearings... what a mess.

Back to our scheduled post... I found this neat NASA site

https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/ma ... .0,37.2,9z
Michel

MReese Wagoneer

Post by MReese Wagoneer »

hope everyone stays safe
hope the front line fighters are safe
:fsj:
New 83 Wagoneer Brougham
old 99 Grand Cherokee Limited
http://www.mandgoilandlube.com

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

I hope the SE coasters are ready for that 15+ foot storm surge and don’t forget guys. Laura is an angry redhead.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

carnuck wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:35 am I hope the SE coasters are ready for that 15+ foot storm surge and don’t forget guys. Laura is an angry redhead.
We just need to find a way to pipe all that water out west. Its so weird for half the country to be desperately needing water, and the other half to be getting flooded.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
letank

Post by letank »

Stuka wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:21 am
carnuck wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:35 am I hope the SE coasters are ready for that 15+ foot storm surge and don’t forget guys. Laura is an angry redhead.
We just need to find a way to pipe all that water out west. Its so weird for half the country to be desperately needing water, and the other half to be getting flooded.
Yes, time for a New Deal program, pipe water from the NW to the central valley, that would create jobs for at least 50 years, if we think about previous jobs: Golden gate bridge took a bit of 4 years to be built from February 1933 to April 1937 at under $27million, the old SF bay bridge only took 2 years july 1933 to November 1936 at $77million, the redoing of the eastern span of the SF bay bridge was 12 years of construction and an estimated price tag of $6.4 billion.
Lets add fire fighting improvements and underground PG&E power lines...

Hope that everyone can hunker down
Michel

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

letank wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:39 pm
Stuka wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:21 am
Yes, time for a New Deal program, pipe water from the NW to the central valley, that would create jobs for at least 50 years, if we think about previous jobs: Golden gate bridge took a bit of 4 years to be built from February 1933 to April 1937 at under $27million, the old SF bay bridge only took 2 years july 1933 to November 1936 at $77million, the redoing of the eastern span of the SF bay bridge was 12 years of construction and an estimated price tag of $6.4 billion.
Lets add fire fighting improvements and underground PG&E power lines...

Hope that everyone can hunker down
Underground power would be a godsend, especially up here. Not just for fire issues, but for when trees fall in the snow.
2017 JKU Rubicon