Powermaster 12si alternators.. quality control ? THEY DONT FIT

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
candymancan

Powermaster 12si alternators.. quality control ? THEY DONT FIT

Post by candymancan »

Never used power master alternators but they were the only brand i could find that sold 150+ amp alternatirs for our Jeeps.

Well i just got to installing the alternator lol and what in the hell man. The casing is all backwords. So the upper bolt is on the bottom.. and bottom bolt is on the top.. if i flip the alternator around then the exciter wire plug is facing the engine and i cannot get the two prong plug in lol. On top of this the positive post is now touching the engine bracket down below.

I also spun the alternator by hand to listen to it.. and the bearings are horrible sounding. I csn even feel the casing vibration from this. Imagine the engine turning it.

This is the first time ive bought a made in america part in years now. And i gatta say im extremely dissapointed. This is utter bs. Proudly tested by so and so sticker on it. Yea ok tested by a monkey more likecit. How can this pass with bearing noise and a wobbly fan
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
candymancan

Re: Powermaster 12si alternators.. quality control ? THEY DONT FIT

Post by candymancan »

Does anyone know of a 140-150+ amp alternator that will bolt up ?

Im looking and all i can find are powermasters.. and looking at the casing on them. They are all backwords !! Its like i gatta take the front outer casing off and flip it so itll bolt up properly.

well i learned you can "clock" an alternator housing, which i did but the bearings still sound like trash.. Gonn have to return it.. real bummer to buy something made in the usa and have it behave like this.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

If the 12SI is like the 10SI, you can clock it to whatever position you want. Trivial issue. Take the halves apart, then put it back together wherever you like. You'll need to hold the brushes back with a toothpick (there is a hole specifically for this), button it up, then pull the toothpick out and you're done.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

Sounds like it may have been dropped during shipping.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle