neutral not working on my 87 grand wagoneer

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
wagonguy87

neutral not working on my 87 grand wagoneer

Post by wagonguy87 »

I put my wagoneer up on jack stands to do some work underneath. I decided to start the car and see if everything was working so I started it and shifted through the gears and realized neutral was also drive. I don't know whats going on and I would really appreciate some help! also its an automatic

candymancan

Re: neutral not working on my 87 grand wagoneer

Post by candymancan »

You probably conked the shifter out of adjustment. You can adjust the red arrow on the column. There is a TOOTH'ed metal peice up on the column by the plastic indicators for D/P/N ect. If you click it up or down you can align the arrow to point at the proper gear.

I had this happen to my 90 recently and drive/neutral/park ect were all showing as the position next to them
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

I suspect if the Wagon were sitting on the ground, you would have a real neutral position. When the transmission is in neutral, the guts of the transmission are still spinning. There's no metal-to-metal connection, but there is some friction between the parts from the fluid. With no drag on the wheels, they tend to start moving.

I would put it on the ground and see if neutral behaves like I expect. Or let everything spin down, start the car in neutral, and see how long it takes to spin the wheels.

Also, this question is fine for "General FSJ" or "Stock FSJ Tech." This section is more for anything not related to GWs etc. I'd think. Not a problem to me, just thought I'd mention it. You might get more responses in one of those categories.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
wagonguy87

Post by wagonguy87 »

thanks for the help guys!

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

If it does it to the point on the ground that it moves the vehicle after adjusting, then high forward clutches could be cooked. Reverse will be unhappy as well.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle