Noob waggy owner

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
Waggy McGee

Noob waggy owner

Post by Waggy McGee »

Greetings! Picked up a degrained 85 wag about 2 months ago. I have been on ifsja site and those guys have been awesome, but you have GIFs!!
I was thinking there’s no fsjs in my town but rang-a-stang told me about 66stepside and from these threads I see they are all at his house! Howdy neighbor! :D L
Already learning from all you guys. Thanks for all the information and help.

Anyone know how to change profile name? Seems to make sense to match ifsja site.

Here are a couple of pics.
9F8F2963-30B8-4E98-A548-F98193CF91DD.jpeg
8D548564-2ECE-49FF-84D6-0826D1800285.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

66stepside

Re: Noob waggy owner

Post by 66stepside »

Howdy neighbor! Come for the jeeps, stay for the GIFs!

I’m in the South Valley, here’s my main squeeze:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Waggy McGee

Post by Waggy McGee »

She’s a beaut Clark! South valley too. I saw some of your build threads, so impressive. Maybe I’ll see you cruising around town. I’m always on the look out :shock:
Do you happen to have a recommendation for a good electrical guy? The first thing I did I messed up so I’d rather just not tinker with things that can catch fire. I’ve heard good things about toby’s?

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

What kind of electrical work?

Toby’s should be able to do it. I’ve never used them, but Lloyd’s on Sprague worked on my wife’s Lincoln ‘Nagivator’ when she had gremlins under the dash. I’d recommend them.

Topic author
Waggy McGee

Post by Waggy McGee »

Well, there’s corrosion in fuse box, no dash lights, bird nestish looking below fuse box. Had a leaky sunroof...ugh. One guy told me 25-30 hours to do fuse box and wiring harness @ $100/hr. Peace of mind is a wonderful thing though.

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Have you thought about running one of those EZ style harnesses yourself?

Topic author
Waggy McGee

Post by Waggy McGee »

Like this one? I promised my husband I wouldn’t touch electrical anymore. I’m swapping out the instrument panel and working on getting the sunroof working but that’s about it. Looking at this though I can’t imagine it’s 25-30 hours?!

https://teamgrandwagoneer.com/instrume ... 1984-1986/

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

25-30 hours maybe right if they’re making new harness from scratch. It’s not complicated but time consuming if you want to get it right (wire length, connectors, etc).

$2500+ for new harness would be too much for me, and do you really need a new harness or just a new fuse box? Harness from your link is for right hand drive Jeep, by the way
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

letank

Post by letank »

corrosion... may be a leaky windshield gasket... so putting a new harness will not really help.

As usual disconnect battery before doing any electrical work... because your year Model 85, the ammeter wires are live even with the ignition key removed, this was the last year for the ammeter... which is always ready to do a FSJ BBQ...

Fuse box looking crudy, disconnect battery ground cable and remove and replace fuses... at least the 85 fuses are the plastic ones, not the glass cylinders that are a pita.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

An OEM plug n play set up would be nice, but I was thinking more like this:

https://www.ezwiring.com/product-page/e ... ng-harness

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

letank wrote:corrosion... may be a leaky windshield gasket... so putting a new harness will not really help.
Or plugged drain in fresh air vents - check if the cowl is full of leaves (it’s always is). Also a good idea to put some sort mesh (like a screen door kind) on a cowl grill that’s between the hood and the windshield, if you haven’t already
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

letank

Post by letank »

check this link for vent cleaning

viewtopic.php?t=7426&hilit=water+water+everywhere
Michel

Topic author
Waggy McGee

Post by Waggy McGee »

letank wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:38 pm corrosion... may be a leaky windshield gasket... so putting a new harness will not really help.

As usual disconnect battery before doing any electrical work... because your year Model 85, the ammeter wires are live even with the ignition key removed, this was the last year for the ammeter... which is always ready to do a FSJ BBQ...

Fuse box looking crudy, disconnect battery ground cable and remove and replace fuses... at least the 85 fuses are the plastic ones, not the glass cylinders that are a pita.
Apologies in advance for rambling response!
I had figured it was sunroof related based on how much it has clearly leaked. Bad enough I had to sand and put POR15 on the inside roof (maybe overkill :D). The cowl has very little debris and I do plan to replace windshield gasket. I’m thinking I should be less assumptive with the electrical. All power locks, seats, doors, tailgate, interior lights work. Really it’s just dash lights, radio and clock. Gauges don’t work, but I have a 79 instrument panel in the mail that has voltmeter conversion already done. I’m gonna also do the 7805 transistor voltage regulator thing you guys have posted. I already fried a CVR in mine because it was the 73-84 gauge. I just figured it would work. False!
The fuse box though....acc lps, ign lps, clock/haz, wiper, fuses are not showing power, yet certain related things work and others don’t. I.e. window defogger works, but not instrument feed. I’ve replaced all fuses and worked on the corrosion at the connectors. I’ve got deoxit in the mail and will work on it again. All this to ask, Michel....does your 85 have a 3 or 15 fuse for ign lps? I have seen diagrams that show different things. Mine has a 15 in there.
I guess one more question, should I not put the 79 panel in until the cvr bypass is done? I’m puzzled if the temp gauge in the 79 panel will be safe in my 85, since I fried the same kind of temp gauge in an 85 panel. Thanks to all you guys for answering. Such an awesome community.

letank

Post by letank »

Phreespirit74 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:46 pm All this to ask, Michel....does your 85 have a 3 or 15 fuse for ign lps? I have seen diagrams that show different things. Mine has a 15 in there.
I guess one more question, should I not put the 79 panel in until the cvr bypass is done? I’m puzzled if the temp gauge in the 79 panel will be safe in my 85, since I fried the same kind of temp gauge in an 85 panel. Thanks to all you guys for answering. Such an awesome community.
If you are frying the cvr, then there might be something else... but again if the cvr is frying... time to study the possibilities! The cvr provides voltage to fuel gauge, oil pressure and temp...

As for swapping cluster... I did it once from a 70's to the 85 when the less than 2 year old temp gauge started to act up to compare resistance values, it was the cvr, this is when I did the 7805 swap... It has been a very good idea, the temp is more reliable. No Ammeter on any of my projects!

not too sure about ign lps fuse, I'll have to take a peek sunday.
Michel