Selfish people visiting family during the holidays

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
candymancan

Selfish people visiting family during the holidays

Post by candymancan »

This really is bugging me so i had to post this. We have a Marine who is renting a bedroom in our house and he decided to defy gov and cdc traveling recomendations to see his family for the holidays. He came back a day ago after being gone for 7 days and is now sick. He got tested and turns out he has the coronavirus.

So now hes putting me and ny 65 year old mom at risk all because this idiot couldnt skip a christmas and had to see his own family. Worst part is if i cant work and ny mom cant work due to this well lose the house due to not being able to pay bills. What if i get sick with no health insurance ?? What if my mom dies.

Im absolutetly furious at this guy right now.

Sorry i had to post this in frustration
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

fxtechphx

Re: Selfish people visiting family during the holidays

Post by fxtechphx »

You could report him to his command. They might help you
Tomorrow we may face destiny, we may fight and die and fall to the fires of perdition, but tonight is ours, and we drink and make merry.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

You can definitely report him to his command. I have family in the military and they are not allowed to go anywhere without explicit permission from their CO, and it has to be a really good reason.

I am would be in the same mind set. I actually probably would have told him if he goes to visit family, I was not going to let him back in the house.

Hope you guys are able to stay safe, but its tough to do in the same house. My brother-in-laws entire family has, and they caught it from his father in law.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Yea i dunno, he had Christmas leave or something im not sure how that works. But i was just shocked when my mom told me he was going to visit family for 7 days.. I was like huh.. in the middle of a pandemic. If he wants to do that if he has an apartment or a house on base fine, but when hes living with other people.. Sounds extremely selfish to me.

Were former military as well, my dad was in for 22 years and my brother for 7. Maybe ill ask my brother if he knows what i can do. Or how i can find his CO.. because i feel like he doesnt need to be in the house anymore right now. But i feel if i say hey get out, ill be arrested for discrimination or some bs.. knowing this country right now.

seems i found this, aparently the military is under travel restrictions.. So how in the hell was he able to park his car on base, and take an uber to an airport and fly to see his family for the holidays ?

https://www.militaryonesource.mil/movin ... -families/

Look at this.. The restriction for all DOD members, is LOCAL LEAVE only.. How was he able to fly to visit family

Q: Is my service member allowed to go on leave?
add

A: Service members may take only local leave as long as the travel restrictions are in place. This is being done to limit the spread of and potential exposure to COVID-19. Exceptions may be given for compelling cases where the travel is necessary for humanitarian reasons or due to extreme hardship.

but maybe the travel restrictions were lifted... i dunno im still pissed i feel like changing the locks
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Yeah, thats what I was mentioning above. You can only travel if you have the permission of your CO. Which they are not giving now unless its an absolute emergency, in which christmas definitely does not qualify for.
2017 JKU Rubicon

bigun

Post by bigun »

If it bothers you that much kick him out, don't let him back in!

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

What a dick. He'd be out of my house pretty damn quick.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

IMO, we should only have restrictions on/around the elderly and sick. Protect those at risk while the Healthy Population should go to work and school as normal. Its a lot easier to control your local environment with masks, separation and who enters your area at home than trying to control a Public/Work environment. Protect yourself and your mother--kick the Marine out if you need to. However, the healthy Majority needs to get back to work, back to school and back to normal.
Yes, all 5 of us in my hose had COVID in June. Two were A-symptomatic, and the other 3 of us had Flu-like symptoms for 14 days. The "At Risk Population" is very small and specific. Those should be first in-line for the vaccine--Once that group is vaccinated it will almost eliminate all sever illness and death from COVID..

bigun

Post by bigun »

rocklaurence wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:44 am Those should be first in-line for the vaccine--Once that group is vaccinated it will almost eliminate all sever illness and death from COVID..
Trying not to be political, but if you think the powers that be will not try to continue to use this to control the population...
Oh before I am accused of being mean and unfeeling, I am 64, over weight, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, mom is 93, a breast cancer survivor, so we both are at risk.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Ok, let me be clear on a few things.

1: I will NOT tolerate any kind of conspiracy theories, period.

2: Every age group is at risk. It’s not just deaths that are of concern. Many who survive have major health issues.

3: This is literally nothing like the flu, so don’t say it’s just a flu and we should ignore it. COVID attacks the circulatory system. Which is why it causes things like strokes and PED. And in bad cases, internal bleeding and organ failure.

4: The majority of ICUs in the country are near capacity. And COVID is the third leading cause of death in this country.

So, with that said. The original conversation for this topic may continue. Anything else doesn’t belong here.
2017 JKU Rubicon

GrandJoshoneer

Post by GrandJoshoneer »

I would not address it with his command. Simply kicking him out should be sufficient to get your point across. People do different things for different reasons. Not knowing what this dude has going on in his life, could be that the risk of going outweighed the risk of not going. We also don’t know what his command authorized him to do.
—————————————-
1987 Grand Wagoneer

Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

Counter-Point, if you rent rooms to people, assume they will do things outside your walls that you may or may not approve of or be aware of. Free will means just that. Whether or not he had permission, he made the choice to do what he did. I see your frustration that his choices may have some consequence for you and your family. As an insight into what his mindset may have been, I'm certainly not a psychic, perhaps he is aware his unit is deploying and he will not get leave beforehand and he knows this might be the last time he will have the opportunity to see his family. I know if I was given the choice to see them before going overseas I would.
That being said, his travelling clearly violates some agreement you feel you had with him as a condition of his living there. It depends on the state but most rental contracts are only good if something is written down and signed by both parties. If you don't want someone there who is going to travel, by all means, exercise your landlord's rights. If that is not a condition in whatever contract you have, I would suggest adding it for a future tenant to avoid this issue before it happens.
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I live in Florida and travel all over the country and have witnessed how Florida/South vs the North East /West Coast manage the Virus/Lockdowns and restrictions. Cali' , Washington and NYC are still in Phase1 and threatening to Lockdown. While Florida has been 100% open with minor restrictions since July. Florida is no Worse and doing better than most of the Phase1 states. All the Data shows that the Work Place is the biggest spreader, Kids/under 19 catch COVID at a far lesser rate and are less than 1:2000 to develop sever illness. Data also shows that younger people that get sever illness from COVID also have pre-existing illnesses. And I know a paramedic that has taken Auto accident victims to the morgue and the body was diagnosed "COVID related death" because the hospital gets addition funds for managing COVID patients. My point is that we should protect and isolate the "At Risk" population [no-everyone is not at risk] and go back to normal as quickly as possible. We dont keep our kids out of school during Flu/cold season or because we're afraid that they might get hit by a car waiting for the bus. This paranoia is way out of control. We have adjusted, we now know the risk-let us live our lives the way we choose. How you Isolate and protect yourself is your responsibility.