New years trip with Radio Flyer (and the wife)

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
dodgerammit

New years trip with Radio Flyer (and the wife)

Post by dodgerammit »

Decided to get away from the family over our time off from work. Having had enough of the Holidays, we packed up and rented an Airbnb condo on Renegade mountain not far from Crossville TN.

Drove Radio Flyer up there. The condos were about 2600' up (I know, not that tall, but we reside around 1000'asl locally).

Nice place. A bit dated. Looked like it was trying to be some kind of resort. Wasn't real sure at first what it was. The houses in the area varied greatly on style. Everything from Chalet looking houses, to cabins, to A frames, to modern brick ranch deals.

Wife spent most of the time relaxing by the fireplace, while I had ants in my pants and loved to hoof it and explore some of the undeveloped area.

Yesterday (Jan 1st), I went for a morning stroll in the dense fog. Visibility around 150'. Being overcast and drizzling, the weather gave it a nice, ominous feel as I trekked down the rough roads. Then, I passed a couple of buildings that seemed out of place even for the eclectic style of the area.

These two buildings had tile roofs and one had a strong Bavarian feel to it. Long since abandoned, deterioration wise, they looked like something built sometime in the 70s. What really piqued my curiosity was the entry way on one of them. It looked like a custom made entry door and sidelight. Not something you could even order through a millwork building supply place (I know, cause I've dealt with that in a previous job). This would have been built one-off by a millwright. From what I could see from the road, the glass looked custom cut. the door and odd sized sidelight had an old-world look to it. Lots of no trespassing signs, so I didn't snoop any closer.

I got a feeling this place was more than I originally had assigned at face value. So, out came my phone to google it.

Holy **** :shock:

Here is what I found:
http://archive.knoxnews.com/business/th ... 93551.html

This morning was checkout and it was sunny and bright! So, we loaded up the Jeep, and I headed to the summit to explore and get some pics.

Anyhoo. Here is how it was long ago compared to our current Urbex pics from this morning.

How it was (mirrored image) Lodge is on right here.
Looking from lodge location toward water tower
Looking at the flagpole promenade in front of lodge

Lounge inside the Lodge.
Tile still in place at lodge ruins
Foundation of lodge

Going up the ski lift. (again, I'm pretty sure this picture is mirrored as well) The slope was 3600' long
Definitely a mirrored pic. The ski lift end at the summit. Note what it looks like.
Remains of the ski lift anchor point at top of slope
Ski lift tower?
Parking lot in the 80s
Parking for the ski slope today

Par 5 downhill hole
Gotta hit that tiny ball across a ravine to the fairway on the other side.
Lake at overgrown golf course

Bavarian Bungalow with tower
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

Topic author
dodgerammit

Re: New years trip with Radio Flyer (and the wife)

Post by dodgerammit »

After that, We fueled up at a local 100% gasoline place and stopped to do an easy hike.

7 bridges trail in Crossville
Ah, Lichens. Probably my favorite fungi Here we see Plenty of the Fruticose variety among the moss.
More Lichen
Fungi

Lotsa Lichen

Cheers! 8-)
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

freehold

Post by freehold »

dodgerammit wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:05 pm I got a feeling this place was more than I originally had assigned at face value. So, out came my phone to google it.

Holy **** :shock:

Here is what I found:
http://archive.knoxnews.com/business/th ... 93551.html

This morning was checkout and it was sunny and bright! So, we loaded up the Jeep, and I headed to the summit to explore and get some pics.
Yowsas. Apparently that place has just had problem after problem. Including a quadruple murder after a drug deal gone bad in 2016. Creepy.
https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/cri ... /91015406/
1987 GW, 202k miles, AMC 360 engine rebuilt 62k ago, all more or less bone stock
1997 Grand Cherokee ZJ, 244k and still going
When it rains, I drive an MDX

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

The before and after photos are pretty cool/creepy. But man, murdering four people over pot is so sad.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

I agree. A pot deal gone bad is no reason for a 4 person homicide. iirc, it happened in 2013ish, and the sentencing took place just a few years ago. From what I've read, it looks like it was a nice place for a little shady dealing given it is secluded but easy access.

Probably has been many deals made before and after this incident.

Yeah, seeing the murder bit while walking alone in early morning dense fog really put a vibe on the moment. :o