Howdy, did I miss anything?

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Howdy, did I miss anything?

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Whats new?

Anything cool happen lately?

FSJ's all still trucking along?
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Howdy, did I miss anything?

Post by Stuka »

Well, I sold mine. Which was bittersweet. But it went to a great home, and I needed a break from 20 years of FSJ ownership.

Otherwise, forum is trucking along. Oh, and FSJ prices continue to climb along with classic cars in general.

Good to hear from you though!
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Stuka wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:27 pm Well, I sold mine. Which was bittersweet. But it went to a great home, and I needed a break from 20 years of FSJ ownership.

I only made it 10 years! lol.

I'm still regretting my most recent purchase though. Oh well.
highboy3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Ahh, I love bump sides. My dad has a '77 F150 that is still all original, factory 460. But I kind of prefer the look of the bump side over the dent side.

But yours looks really clean.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Stuka wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:58 pm Ahh, I love bump sides. My dad has a '77 F150 that is still all original, factory 460. But I kind of prefer the look of the bump side over the dent side.

But yours looks really clean.
I've got a bump and a dent. Prefer the looks of the bump.

Thanks, but its not clean. Has pretty serious cancer. Bed seams and roof seams, literally irreparable. Oh well. I'll probably just drive it into the ground. I paid way too much, didnt think it was as big a deal as it is. But hey, what fun would life be if I didnt have something to hate and regret? I knew something was missing from my life after I sold the wag.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Wife bought a '79 (I think, had the dent) while we were dating. She shows up at my place with this 3/4 ton 4x4 stick. Had traded her almost new Datsun truck.

What a woman!

Never understood why it had the bump strip at the bottom of the groove???
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

mrtazwrench

Post by mrtazwrench »

Haven't done much with my J20 since I put it away for the winter. I deactivated my FB earlier in the week so it's the first time in ages checking in here.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

You all still doing FSJ stuff?

Sometimes I wonder what ever became of mine....

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

SJTD wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:53 pm Wife bought a '79 (I think, had the dent) while we were dating. She shows up at my place with this 3/4 ton 4x4 stick. Had traded her almost new Datsun truck.

What a woman!

Never understood why it had the bump strip at the bottom of the groove???
On the bottom of the door? Or the stuff in the dent? There are 2 different styles of trim for the top, and 2 different styles for the bottom. The '79 should have had the "Racetrack" trim, which connects at the top/back of the bed, and goes above the lower body lines. The '73-'79s you could get the top like that the whole time. The earlier Rangers had the trim similar to this bumpside, which was phased out in ~'77. If it had square headlights it was probably a '78-'79, if it had the square-headlight style grille but round lights it was a '78 Custom.

The one with the white on top is the earlier Ranger style trim (grille was swapped), and the one that's darker green top and bottom is original '79, if that helps any. There was another (very rare) style of thin, silver painted trim you could get in the dent, or you could get them without.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Dr. Marneaus wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:48 pm You all still doing FSJ stuff?

Well, I do not own any currently. But I still run this place, so that counts for something I suppose.

A while back somebody had asked a question on one of your old posts. I assume you are still rocking your Wrangler?

Good to hear from you!
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Stuka wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:53 pm

Well, I do not own any currently. But I still run this place, so that counts for something I suppose.

A while back somebody had asked a question on one of your old posts. I assume you are still rocking your Wrangler?

Good to hear from you!
Yeap, wife has still got the JLUR. Still using it for back roading, overlanding, hunting, etc.

Sold the orange and white 69 Highboy because it bugged me every time I looked at it. Made a lil' cash, not much. Decided I was done with old vehicles for a while. Was planning to buy my dads 2018 Ram. I went without a personal vehicle of my own for about 9 months, then this happened, and it's my current daily driver:
Bluie f250.jpg

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Dr. Marneaus wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:16 pm

Good to hear from you!
Yeap, wife has still got the JLUR. Still using it for back roading, overlanding, hunting, etc.

Sold the orange and white 69 Highboy because it bugged me every time I looked at it. Made a lil' cash, not much. Decided I was done with old vehicles for a while. Was planning to buy my dads 2018 Ram. I went without a personal vehicle of my own for about 9 months, then this happened, and it's my current daily driver:

Bluie f250.jpg
That's awesome lol. Just can't stay away from old trucks, huh?

If the Ram is anything like the rental we had, you're going to be a million times happier with the old Ford. And if you have an overdrive, you'll get similar mileage 😉
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

sierrablue wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:27 pm
Dr. Marneaus wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:16 pm

Good to hear from you!

Bluie f250.jpg
That's awesome lol. Just can't stay away from old trucks, huh?

If the Ram is anything like the rental we had, you're going to be a million times happier with the old Ford. And if you have an overdrive, you'll get similar mileage 😉
Nah, would be way happier with a modern truck that doesn't ride like hell, has air conditioning, safety features, 4 wheel drive, and gets more than double the fuel economy gets in this. I double OD would make much of a difference in this truck unless it literally doubled the fuel economy.

But hey, this one looks neat and was about 1/3rd the cost.

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

I mean my dad got 20 once with that green and white truck...usually it gets like 14-16 (after calculating for the tires), 13-15 base. And it's a 4x4. The 2-wheel-drive '79 (where the '79 body came from) got like 20, 302, C6, bone stock.

The Ram we rented felt like it was gonna roll around every minor turn at 10 mph is why I say that. And the computer lied to us. It was a 2wd, but still we were not impressed. It said it maintained speed, but in reality it was +/- 5 mph.

What's this one getting for mileage?
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Really nice looking bump side! Love the color.
2017 JKU Rubicon

letank

Post by letank »

Ha, ha.... in Nov 2023, I might claim 40 years of FSJ ownership.... if I am still breathing! Too many cleaning chemicals and exhaust leaks have been documented has dangerous to one's health, or is it driving motorcycles with either 1, 2, 3 or 4 cylinders, yes a 3 cylinder engine exists, and I still own one.
BTW Nice trucks, even if they are Ferd...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

sierrablue wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:36 pm I mean my dad got 20 once with that green and white truck...usually it gets like 14-16 (after calculating for the tires), 13-15 base. And it's a 4x4. The 2-wheel-drive '79 (where the '79 body came from) got like 20, 302, C6, bone stock.

The Ram we rented felt like it was gonna roll around every minor turn at 10 mph is why I say that. And the computer lied to us. It was a 2wd, but still we were not impressed. It said it maintained speed, but in reality it was +/- 5 mph.

I get between 8-9mpg average. 390, C6, 3.54's some holley carb. I think I got 12 on a highway only trip once but that may have been a fluke

My highboy with the 300 abd 4.10's would pull in almost 13mpg on extended trips if i kept it to about 60mph.

My 74 camper special with 390 c6 and 3.73's got 9 as well.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

letank wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:01 pm Ha, ha.... in Nov 2023, I might claim 40 years of FSJ ownership.... if I am still breathing! Too many cleaning chemicals and exhaust leaks have been documented has dangerous to one's health, or is it driving motorcycles with either 1, 2, 3 or 4 cylinders, yes a 3 cylinder engine exists, and I still own one.
BTW Nice trucks, even if they are Ferd...

Glad to hear you’re still fighting the good fight lol, or maybe just to stubborn to find a different fight? Lol!

I know it’s a four letter word that starts with F, but these things are infinitely easier and less frustrating to work on, source parts for, and keep on the road. Pretty minimal effort and this one runs and drives pretty much like any normal vehicle.

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Dr. Marneaus wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:32 pm
sierrablue wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:36 pm I mean my dad got 20 once with that green and white truck...usually it gets like 14-16 (after calculating for the tires), 13-15 base. And it's a 4x4. The 2-wheel-drive '79 (where the '79 body came from) got like 20, 302, C6, bone stock.

I get between 8-9mpg average. 390, C6, 3.54's some holley carb. I think I got 12 on a highway only trip once but that may have been a fluke

My highboy with the 300 abd 4.10's would pull in almost 13mpg on extended trips if i kept it to about 60mph.

My 74 camper special with 390 c6 and 3.73's got 9 as well.
Weird. My dad used to have a 390 in his truck, c6, 3.54s, 31"s, and it would get 11-13 empty, 8-10 minimum towing. Before that, when it was still a 360 truck, it got 12, no matter what. One time he had a massive 60 mph headwind, and it absolutely KILLED his mileage. He got 11.8 :D

Now it's a hot '69 351W, E4OD, still 3.54s and 31"s. Biggest complaints are the 19 gallon tank is small, and it's high enough compression that if you want any timing, you have to run premium.

Could have something to do with your foot too :oops: :D
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

letank wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:01 pm BTW Nice trucks, even if they are Ferd...
I mean at this point, any truck '90s or older that's not beat to death or rusted out is a nice truck...

I've just grown up with Fords so I know them better than GM's stuff. Also I've heard squarebodies aren't exactly known for being easy to see out of... I don't really have anything against GM I just know the Fords and we all like what we know. So I'm a Ford guy but not a hard core Ford only guy.

And on behalf of my dad, thank you.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070