Dana 20 case shifter

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
Alanjmt

Dana 20 case shifter

Post by Alanjmt »

I’m sure this has been beat up....I have a 72 J2000 with a VERY loose transfer case shifter (single stick, stock) What wears out and how can I fix it? On a related note, did these have an actual boot when new or just the cut out rubber piece? Thanks, hard to find a boot which will take all the travel; but maybe all the travel will be much less when the 4” of slop gets taken out..
Alan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Herk

Re: Dana 20 case shifter

Post by Herk »

There should be a spring that "loads" the lever to keep it from flopping and more or less keeping it engaged with the shift rails. As for the boots there were two. A lower boot that sealed around the shifter and an upper flat rubber piece with a T-shaped cutout. Not aware of any new ones.

Topic author
Alanjmt

Post by Alanjmt »

Thanks. How does the lever come out? From the top?

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Could be a few things. There is a shifter "box" that the shifter goes into, and then connects to the two shift rails. The box itself can wear out, as can the shifter connection to the box. Climbing under there while somebody wiggles the shifter should help identify where its at.

The second place can be internal to the t-case itself. But normally this manifests itself as the transfer case popping out of 4wd and back into 2wd. This is caused by weak detent ball springs. Fixing these isn't hard if the t-case is out of the truck. But in there, its tough to get to them as they are on top of the t-case where the shift rails go in.

Here is the shifter and shift box

EDIT: Here is a t-case break down with arrows on the detent balls and springs. There is two threaded plugs them come out to change them. It can be done in the truck, but your knuckles wont be terribly happy. And make sure you dont move the shift rails while they are out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Alanjmt

Post by Alanjmt »

Holy cow! I appreciate the effort. I can watch it from in the cab and the lever literally moves (front to back) 3 inches before moving the t case rods. The t case does work, just a super loose lever. Now I can see how to take it apart. Thanks again!
Alan

mjdriver

Post by mjdriver »

Check the bushings for the shift rods, mine was missing one, I was able to find a replacement on ebay, it's a little longer but works, sounds like you may need to tear it down and inspect.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Topic author
Alanjmt

Post by Alanjmt »

That may be it. Will crawl under it tomorrow