Looking for input on having a single banner ad

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
Stuka
Site Admin

Looking for input on having a single banner ad

Post by Stuka »

PLEASE do NOT click ads just to click them. This can get counted as invalid traffic and have ads here disabled. If you see a product that you like, you can click it. Just don't click an ad every time you see what to "help the site", as this will get detected and can result in ads being disabled here for invalid clicks.

For the last decade (Longer if you consider the first version of the site before the crash), I have fully funded the site, its been entirely ad free, and with no payed sponsorships or anything. I don't run this site as a business, I run it because I like Jeeps and like providing a place for us to come together and post about them.

However, over that ten year period, the cost to run the site has gone up quite a bit as it has grown to utilize more resources. So I am considering adding a single Google AdSense banner ad to help fund the site. I doubt a single ad will fully fund it (especially with ad blockers built into browsers), but it should certainly help out. And there is still the FSJN shop, but it doesn't bring in that much as we have a pretty limited audience.

And because I know it will be asked, I have considered other options such as donating and such. But honestly, unless I set this site up as a business, the tax side of that sucks. And frankly, the site is not nearly large enough to go through all that work.

Anyway, before I go through and just do it, I wanted to get the thoughts of the users.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

SJTD

Re: Looking for input on having a single banner ad

Post by SJTD »

Sounds fair to me.

"AdSense". What does it sense and how? If you don't mind splaining it to a feller that isn't knowledgeable on this stuff.

And another area I no knothing about: Could you set it up as a trust rather than a business?
Last edited by SJTD on Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

Sad thing about society, it takes money to do EVERYTHING. I dont see an issue with what you are proposing. Thank you for funding the job yourself for so long!!
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Topic author
Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

SJTD wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:00 am Sounds fair to me.

"AdSense". What does it sense and how? If you don't mind splaining it to a feller that isn't knowledgeable on this stuff.

And another area I no knothing about: Could you set it up as a trust rather than a business?
AdSense is Googles branding for their ad platform. They are the most widely used ads on the net. If you have ever gone to search for a product, and then gone to another site and then see an ad for the item you just searched for, that's AdSense at work. Its all done through tracking cookies which nearly every site on the internet uses. You can fully disable them, but you may lose some features that are nice to have on some sites.

I am not sure a trust could be used in this case. The two options that I know of are a commercial business, or a non profit. Both require more work than they are worth.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Chubbinius

Post by Chubbinius »

First, thank you for funding this site on your own.

Second, as for an ad banner, I think that would be fair, Stuka. Even if most folks registered run ad blockers, you'd still generate some revenue from those who pop into the site but don't sign up. Plus, I'm sure many of us would be willing to "friends and family" a few bucks your way each year if you had a paypal address...don't think there would be taxes or paperwork for that. :)
1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
-Custom Special
-Dauntless 350 V8
-D27 front/D44 rear
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

Jagged

Post by Jagged »

Chubbinius wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:57 am First, thank you for funding this site on your own.

Second, as for an ad banner, I think that would be fair, Stuka. Even if most folks registered run ad blockers, you'd still generate some revenue from those who pop into the site but don't sign up. Plus, I'm sure many of us would be willing to "friends and family" a few bucks your way each year if you had a paypal address...don't think there would be taxes or paperwork for that. :)
I concur with Chubbinius here. I'm cool with the banner, but I'm even more cool with donating in a non-taxable way. :D
1982 Jeep CJ-7, 4" lift, 35"s, Rust, AMC 401, T-18, D300 Twin-stick
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 6" Lift, 33"s, 4.0 I6, AW4, NP231
1979 Jeep Cherokee, 4-speed, 360

Lti57

Post by Lti57 »

I concur do what you need to offset your costs
I myself would not mind contributing to the site
Thanks for keeping it alive
Directly above the center of the Earth 🌍
2017 Chevy Silverado DD
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1987 BMW E30 325i convertible
1981 Jeep Wagoneer. 360 ,TF727 , NP208

oregonphil

Post by oregonphil »

I OK with that. Sorry, I do not understand how AdSense works to actually benefit $$ for you ? Not apposed to supporting the web site in some way.
77sj 401 warmed over
72 Commando basically stock
07 Siena should last forever
76 FLH just for fun

Topic author
Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

oregonphil wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:18 pm I OK with that. Sorry, I do not understand how AdSense works to actually benefit $$ for you ? Not apposed to supporting the web site in some way.
If you have ads on a website, you get paid any time its displayed, and then you get payed more anytime somebody clicks on it. Its a very small amount for each impression, but get a few hundred thousand impressions, and it can be enough for the site to pay for itself.
2017 JKU Rubicon

rstep

Post by rstep »

I think it just makes sense to do it.
1977 Cherokee Sold
I Don't own One
Stuff I Make.
http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5620

j10builder

Post by j10builder »

1. Thank you fro sponsoring this site. It's been a wealth of information that far outweighs a stack of Chilton's, Haynes, Factory service manuals and 3 grizzled old mechanics sitting in a corner drinking beer and making fun of you while you work. So much info here.
2. Thank you for asking, most sites would just do it.
3. It just makes sense
4. I'm headed to the shop to buy something as soon as I post this.
'81' J10 w/all the good same year J20 stuff

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

A thousand thanks for setting this up for the modern age; I say set up the banner, as it is a small thing to do where the benefits far outweigh the hassles.

It would be super cool to get Mopar, Quadratrac, 4wd Parts, or some other Jeep-related company would pony up the cash to advertise/sponsor, but I know it doesn’t work that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I’ll even click on the ads to help generate money!

Lti57

Post by Lti57 »

66stepside wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:24 pm I’ll even click on the ads to help generate money! ImageImage

Heck yeah me too
Directly above the center of the Earth 🌍
2017 Chevy Silverado DD
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1987 BMW E30 325i convertible
1981 Jeep Wagoneer. 360 ,TF727 , NP208

cpfeifffer

Post by cpfeifffer »

I’m good with whatever. I have saved tons of money, time, and frustration by tapping into the brain trust on this site. I’d be glad to donate, click ads or whatever.

Thanks for all your hard work!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
1978 Cherokee Chief
5.3L L33, 4L60E, Atlas II 5.0

Chubbinius

Post by Chubbinius »

Lti57 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:38 pm
66stepside wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:24 pm I’ll even click on the ads to help generate money! ImageImage

Heck yeah me too
Haha, me three!
1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
-Custom Special
-Dauntless 350 V8
-D27 front/D44 rear
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

iharding

Post by iharding »

I have a single banner ad on my cobwebsite gmpartswiki.com. It pays for an EC2 instance and an RDS Postgres instance using reserved instances.

I suspect there will be more clicks on a community site where people know that clicking an ad once in a while puts a dollar in your pocket.

I say go for it.

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

Absolutely support adding a banner or two to help pay for the site. I’ll disable ad blocker and will click it when I don’t forget.

It’s an amazing community here, with lots of friendly and knowledgeable people - thanks for keeping it going!

I didn’t know there was a shop, now I definitely need a t-shirt and some stickers :)
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

You have my support

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

I support you fully man! I assume it displays ads based on some algorithm or something so I'll click on T shirt ads or whatever. :)
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'