Lovin this tool. Very handy

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
77Chief77

Lovin this tool. Very handy

Post by 77Chief77 »

Lately this has become my favorite tool. Especially with a 2” wire brush cup. I find it handy for cleaning and stripping 40 year old fsj parts.
1977 Chief, Wide Track, 360, TH400, QT

rocklaurence
Vendor

Re: Lovin this tool. Very handy

Post by rocklaurence »

Battery operated tools are quickly replacing pneumatic. I havent used my pneumatic drivers in years because the Bat' are so much nicer. I do use air for die-grinding etc

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

In the past, the main reason for pneumatic hand tools has been weight, as I understand it. Motors and batteries were heavy, compared to an air turbine. Use of lithium (third lightest element, behind hydrogen and helium, and the lightest metal) helps with that, and motor technology has improved a lot in the past decades. I believe the initial investment for air is higher, but the cost per tool and longevity of air tools is still higher than battery powered.

Die grinders and cutoff tools demand a lot of power, and maybe not suitable for cordless yet.

Some things are still best corded IMO, like a really strong and large-capacity drill. Welders. Pretty sure no one has developed a cordless airless sprayer that's suitable for painting a car. Professional airless sprayers are all corded, and more for house painting than auto body. Cost of corded tools is still way lower than cordless, for comparable chores. Compare corded and cordless string trimmers, for example.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

No wonder I can never find my tools. They's floating away.

Lithium isn't that light but it does float on water. While it's "burning" away.

For intermittent, convenient use battery tools are great. If you have to run them for hours you can't beat air for weight and cooling.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

BillBertin

Post by BillBertin »

Hello - Just bought one of these. die grinders were the pneumatic "go-to".... now theyre easier than ever .. when so portable. Looking forward to using it.
William from N. Va.

Topic author
77Chief77

Post by 77Chief77 »

And these speeds are also tremendous
1977 Chief, Wide Track, 360, TH400, QT