stock exhaust question

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
NAL5376

stock exhaust question

Post by NAL5376 »

I just bought a mostly original 87 j10 long bed. I am going to restore it to its original condition, but cannot find some exhaust system parts. I have been able to find grand wagoneer parts for the same year. I was thinking the two were mostly the same as far as the exhaust and a lot of other parts except the body and transfer case. does anyone know if the exhaust is the same?

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: stock exhaust question

Post by Stuka »

Welcome to the forum!

The exhaust in a J-Truck is not the same as a Waggy. J-Trucks have a much longer wheelbase (both short and long beds) and a different frame from the cab back.

If you are wanting to replace the entire exhaust, you will need to have an exhaust shop build it for you. Which is what I had done on my J10. It wont be "OEM", but it will function fine, and can easily offer better performance if you move up to a 2.5" exhaust (stock for a V8 is 2.25 as I recall).
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

will e

Post by will e »

Hey! Welcome to the sight. Like Stuka said your best bet is to take it to a muffler shop and have them build one for ya. If you want it 'close to stock' get some pictures of the original routing and exit.

I am glad you found us! Post up some pics in a new thread when you get a chance.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

1978J10REDWHITE

Post by 1978J10REDWHITE »

I suggest you go to some place like dayone" or firebird central, possibly JEGS too, where you can get a universal SS exhaust kit, either 2 or 2 1/2 or 3" Dia pipes, and buy extra pieces and build your own set. Most of the pieces are slip fits, so you just cut lengths and add in 45 or 90 or 180 turns and mufflers here you want them. And buy the "V-Clamp" style pieces to hold pipes together too.
Practically NO welding needed if you cut pipes correctly.
Might need to get the exhaust manifold-down pipe made or bent from a mandrel machine , those a shop can flare the ends, just take your old stuff from manifold and down stream it about 3-4 foot, bring in and have copied.. Make sure the other end to downstream fit is the proper dia., slip fit correct side too.
Usually there are two different SS types , the 308SS material has more nickel in it and is a little better rust resistant, "a little".

I found out recently Midas and other major shops don't seem to want to do this type work anymore so I defaulted to this kit system on a different vehicle worked out real easy too!!
Last edited by 1978J10REDWHITE on Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Don't know about the universal kit. I have had a couple of systems built by a local shop. Suggest you look for independent exhaust shops that include "custom" in their advertising.

Would also help to put your general location and model/year/equipment in your profile and sig.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.