Rivian

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

dodgerammit

Re: Rivian

Post by dodgerammit »

letank wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:19 pm More battery potential pitfalls: the nail test... or the nail penetration test. Imagine being high centered... then... ouch...

NINGDE, China — As the global pandemic hit, the world’s biggest maker of electric car batteries, a Chinese company now worth more than General Motors and Ford combined, suddenly faced its own crisis.

A rival had released a video suggesting that a technology used by the company, CATL, and other manufacturers could cause car fires. Imitating a Chinese government safety test, the rival had driven a nail through a battery cell, one of many in a typical electric car battery. The cell exploded in a fireball.

not too sure if you can access the reading :

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/22/busi ... Position=5

otherwise plenty of videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg_480HUheo
There's a reason you can't buy a Chinese vehicle in the states.... They won't meet minimum crash test requirements.

That said, I'd be willing to wager most skateboard platforms have a very durable underside.

I mean, I can go drive a nail into my fuel tank. A spark could very well result in an explosion.

Most auto manufacturers now are very thorough concerning providing protection from such things.... "Cough-cough *clears throat* gmbolt"
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

ArchitectJS

Post by ArchitectJS »

dodgerammit wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:42 pm Again, the cobalt they are referencing has been under focus to remove from batteries all together. Should be a non issue soon.
https://www.cnbc.com/video/2021/11/17/h ... f-evs.html
I think my point is- no matter what it is- we dont have enough of it / can't bring enough of it online quickly enough to make the batteries needed. Someone brought up fusion- if energy could be produced easily and for free we'd be doing it.
1982 Cherokee, base (Bumppo)
AMC 258 / A727 - AMC 20 / NP208
Holley Sniper with Hyperspark
3" Rough County Lift

Topic author
Moosehead

Post by Moosehead »

Seems like ICE vehicles are most flammable when in operation, and EV’s are so when being charged. Most users will be charging in their attached garage, so we got that going for us, which is nice.
‘78 Wagoneer
401 with street cam, heads, headers, Holley Sniper EFI, rear discs, Alcan springs, Trucklite LED headlights

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

ArchitectJS wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:59 pm
dodgerammit wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:42 pm Again, the cobalt they are referencing has been under focus to remove from batteries all together. Should be a non issue soon.
https://www.cnbc.com/video/2021/11/17/h ... f-evs.html
I think my point is- no matter what it is- we dont have enough of it / can't bring enough of it online quickly enough to make the batteries needed. Someone brought up fusion- if energy could be produced easily and for free we'd be doing it.
What I don't get is everyone seems to believe (for whatever reason) that this situation is like flipping a switch.
ie: As soon as electric vehicles are 'go' ABSOLUTELY no ICE vehicles are going to ever be produced (or even used) again, which isn't the case.

This is going to be a phase in. No different than when combustion was just starting in the early 1900s. Horse and buggy continued on for up into the 40s where I live. My grandfather told me stories of holdouts. His dad even held out on a tractor till the 50s, instead, choosing to continue fight with a mule team until it became too hard to find someone to buy a decent team from.

Early on, vehicle longevity wasn't even a thing. Manufacturing was crude. Model Ts would only be good for a few years, then sold off/scrapped.
Production chugged on. Manufacturing improved (as it always does). People kept buying them. Manufacturers kept producing them. Slowly, the public began to accept combustion as the new way of life, and horses and wagons became a way of the past.

Large trucks and semis are still quite a ways out from being as feasible as a local commuter vehicle.

And energy is never going to be free. It never has been. We've been doing it for quite some time.

The larger picture is, the oil situation is also finite, and has been tapped for about 100 years.

So, do we keep going like there's no tomorrow, one day leaving us sitting in a wasteland of defunct autos?

Do we go back to utilizing animals?

Or do we try something different?
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Regarding the switch to electric vehicles, Im old enough to remember the phase-out of Leaded fuel [1970-1996]. Here in Florida it only took 10 years [not 26] and the process was the slow removal of Leaded fuel at the gas stations. So, I believe that we will be able to continue to drive our ICE for many more years during the transition. After the transition, finding gas will be like finding Racing fuel. It will be at very few locations and Expensive.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

tgreese wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:30 am
SJTD wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:54 am What about fusion?

It's only 20 years away. :lol:
For those of you that don't get the joke, fusion was only 20 years away 20 years ago. Maybe it's really on the cusp now, but I doubt it. I have some limited cred re this topic. There has been a lot of progress with modular fission reactors, which seem more likely to be in wide usage sooner than any practical fusion plant. So says my crystal ball.

Trying to be factual rather than political. Sorry if this crosses a line.
Yea, it's been 20 years away since I started reading Popular Science 50-55 years ago. I just saw a Youtube video about another "breakthrough" that put it 20 years away.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

ArchitectJS

Post by ArchitectJS »

Horse and buggy transition was organic and market driven. There was no mandate.

We ARE flipping a switch; 2035. California mandates ALL new cars be EV.
1982 Cherokee, base (Bumppo)
AMC 258 / A727 - AMC 20 / NP208
Holley Sniper with Hyperspark
3" Rough County Lift

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

ArchitectJS wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:09 pm Horse and buggy transition was organic and market driven. There was no mandate.

We ARE flipping a switch; 2035. California mandates ALL new cars be EV.
California. Not entire US.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Too bad KA hasn't mandated there be power available for those EV's. I wonder how that's going to work. We get brownouts as.

One mo reason I'm GTHOC. I'm thinking of happily renting my house to some poor bahstid that has to stay and taking another $30-40k a year or more with me.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

SJTD wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:07 am Too bad KA hasn't mandated there be power available for those EV's. I wonder how that's going to work. We get brownouts as.

One mo reason I'm GTHOC. I'm thinking of happily renting my house to some poor bahstid that has to stay and taking another $30-40k a year or more with me.
Get out while you can :D Florida and Texas are booming and have no State tax

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Too far from the fambly. Looks like N AZ or S UT.

In KA the Gov is wringing his hands in despair about so many retirees bailing and taking their pensions and retirement checks with them and all the lost revenue. It's been proposed to tax pensions that were earned here even if the retiree lives elsewhere. I guess it never occurred to him to look at why they're leaving.

I find it funny, and sad, that so many don't like how a state has changed over the years so they move elsewhere when they retire but take their views with them. Then complain how their new state of choice is going down the tubes.
Sic friatur crustulum

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Well, I said no more politics. Thread locked.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ