Human statue of Liberty.

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
UKJeeper

Human statue of Liberty.

Post by UKJeeper »

"On a stifling July day in 1918, 18,000 officers and soldiers posed as Lady Liberty on the parade [drill] grounds at Camp Dodge." "According to a July 3, 1986, story in the
Fort Dodge Messenger, many men fainted—they were dressed in woolen uniforms—as the temperature neared 105 degrees Farenheit [41 degrees Celsius]. The photo, taken from the top of a specially constructed tower by a Chicago photography studio, Mole & Thomas, was intended to help promote the sale of war bonds but was never used."

"Arthur S. Mole (born 1889 in England - died 1983 in the United States) was an English commercial artist who became famous for a series of "living photographs" made during World War I, in which tens of thousands of soldiers, reservists and other members of the military were arranged to form massive compositions."

As Louis Kaplan, in "A Patriotic Mole: A Living Photograph" wrote: "Mole's photos assert, bolster, and recover the image of American national identity via photographic imaging. Moreover, these military formations serve as rallying points to support U.S. involvement in the war and to ward off any isolationist tendencies."

As one person, whose great grandfather took part in the photoshoot, explains the mistery behind the "Human Statue of Liberty":

"The design for the living picture was laid out at the drill ground at Camp Dodge, situated in the beautiful valley of the Des Moines River. Thousands of yards of white tape were fastened
to the ground and formed the outlines on which 18,000 officers and men marched to their respective positions.

In this body of soldiers are any hundreds of men of foreign birth, born of parents whose first impression of the Land of Freedom and Promise was of the world's greatest colossus standing with beacon light at the portal of a nation of free people, holding aloft a torch symbolic of the light of liberty which the statue represents. Side by side with native sons these men, with unstinted patriotism, now offer to sacrifice not only their liberty but even life itself for our beloved country.

Below are some of the other photos:

The Human Liberty Bell", 1918, gelatin silver photo print. 25,000 people, Camp Dix in New Jersey

"The Human U.S. Shield", 1918, gelatin silver photo print. 30,000 people, Camp Custer in Battle Creek, Michigan.

Living Insignia of the Twenty-seventh Division", 1919, gelatin silver photo print. 10,000 people

Living Emblem of the United States Marines", 1919, gelatin silver photo print. 9,100 people, Marine barracks, Paris Island, S.C
'79 Cherokee 2 door (RIP)
'79 Cherokee 4 door (RIP)
'79 Cherokee 2 door (RIP
'82 Cherokee Chief
'91 YJ
Fiat Renegade...

Atla

Re: Human statue of Liberty.

Post by Atla »

I was scrolling down through the photos, noting the location they were taken with some satisfaction that we Marines didn't get suckered into it.

Than I saw the final pic, being Paris Island, my least favorite place on earth...
~Atla. (I'm just here for the pictures)
1983 J-10
2001 TJ

My Build Thread - http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2722

Topic author
UKJeeper

Post by UKJeeper »

Didn't want to leave you out! :P
'79 Cherokee 2 door (RIP)
'79 Cherokee 4 door (RIP)
'79 Cherokee 2 door (RIP
'82 Cherokee Chief
'91 YJ
Fiat Renegade...

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Those are cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Brizio

Post by Brizio »

Very nice pics!

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Those are classy pics, great historical trivia, too.

I remember dusting palm trees at 29 Palms prior to a dog and pony show back in the day... Ahhhh, good times, good times.

blue beast j10

Post by blue beast j10 »

nothing but thank you for your service to all that contributed hooo ahaaaa
1-79' j10 360/th400/QT 31/10.50/15
if you didn't bleed you weren't working on a FSJ