Hobart welder surges while welding

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

haminawag

Re: Hobart welder surges while welding

Post by haminawag »

Grand_Wag_85 wrote:Hobart seems to think it's the control board and that the machine is feeding way too much wire. My machine is now 3yrs old(ALREADY?!?!) but they'll warranty the board as long as I can find the sales receipt.

I do have to give Hobart some well deserved credit. There's an 800 # on the welder and when you call you're speaking with a real live person after only one ring with no endless computerized death prompts to follow.
Sorry, but that doesn't impress me, that's the way ALL companys used to be. Anyway, I hope they get it fixed right away for you, and it doesn't cost you a penny. :)
Let us not forget what our fathers taught us.

Ham-in-a-Wag
1967 Plymouth Fury
1979 Wagoneer
2000 RAV4

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

I'm glad to hear it GWag85. I really do like Hobarts. They are perfectly up to snuff for the home welder and light industrial, like small repair shops or maintenance departments. The rectifier board or control board is also way better than what you'll find in any Chinese machine, too. It's ability to compensate for imperfect settings may be what makes it more failure prone, but that's just me speculating, I don't know for sure.

I'm glad your service experience was so nice too! An idea for yuh, double sided tape a manilla envelope inside the cover (yep, right over the settings chart, nobody ever looks at it anyways. Those that do think they know better and ignore it :P ) and stick all your paperwork in it. I don't do that with my machines, but I always MEAN too! :-bd
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Topic author
Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

REDONE wrote:An idea for yuh, double sided tape a manilla envelope inside the cover (yep, right over the settings chart, nobody ever looks at it anyways. Those that do think they know better and ignore it :P ) and stick all your paperwork in it. I don't do that with my machines, but I always MEAN too! :-bd
Great idea. I've been keeping the whole in the original box while not in use until I finally wore the box out. Coulda sworn I stuck the receipt in the bag with the info packets that come with the welder but apparently I didn't stick it in there...Great.
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

You know it's bad when your car is on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Grand_Wag_85 wrote:
REDONE wrote:An idea for yuh, double sided tape a manilla envelope inside the cover (yep, right over the settings chart, nobody ever looks at it anyways. Those that do think they know better and ignore it :P ) and stick all your paperwork in it. I don't do that with my machines, but I always MEAN too! :-bd
Great idea. I've been keeping the whole in the original box while not in use until I finally wore the box out. Coulda sworn I stuck the receipt in the bag with the info packets that come with the welder but apparently I didn't stick it in there...Great.
By any chance, any chance at all, did you register it online? I'm just spitballing here, but maybe you did and you forgot that you did. Couldn't hurt to ask them to verify with the serial number. You might of done it while you were asleep.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

haminawag

Post by haminawag »

[/quote]
By any chance, any chance at all, did you register it online? I'm just spitballing here, but maybe you did and you forgot that you did. Couldn't hurt to ask them to verify with the serial number. You might of done it while you were asleep.[/quote]

Redone's right, you might also check with the seller to get a duplicate receipt, or to see if they may have registered it through Hobart themselves, some dealers do this for items over $100.00. Any proof of purchase should work, as long as the seller can confirm they sold that welder and give you written confirmation of that fact.
Let us not forget what our fathers taught us.

Ham-in-a-Wag
1967 Plymouth Fury
1979 Wagoneer
2000 RAV4

henrywilliam320

Post by henrywilliam320 »

Diagnosing a problem with your Mig welder can be frustrating. Most people don’t realize is that there are variables that work together to produce clean hard welds. Diagnosing problems with your Mig welder, especially those that are of the “pulsea” variety, can get you as hot under the collar as the tip of your welder. get more here https://thetigwelder.com/hobart-190-vs-210/

Topic author
Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

Ended up being an extension cord that didn't play nice with the unit.
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

You know it's bad when your car is on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!