Vac line help needed- 77 360 Cherokee

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Normanator

Vac line help needed- 77 360 Cherokee

Post by Normanator »

Been working on this thing for months now, finally got all the electrical sorted and am just needing to hook up vac lines to turn it over for the first time since the PO rebuilt it 15 years ago!
My question is for the vac lines off the manifold in the back... the diagrams show t-fittings, but I don't have them or know the part numbers to find them...
I am running the brakes, distributor advance, and the vent/4x4 stuff, but no air pump or EGR (all of this was removed on this prior to my taking on the basket case).
Does anyone know whare to hook the circled ports up to and where to find the t fittings that screw into them (or if I can just use any that fit and have the correct number of ports)?
I appreciate all the help you guys have offered on this project!
20210614_135001.jpg

1977 Cherokee S 360 4v AT
Polson, MT

Topic author
Normanator

Re: Vac line help needed- 77 360 Cherokee

Post by Normanator »

Duplicate post of below, sorry
Last edited by Normanator on Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Polson, MT

Topic author
Normanator

Post by Normanator »

Not sure why the circles won't show...
Looking at the large portion by the trans dipstick, it has a plugged threaded port on the back, the square next to it just to the right, has an open threaded port on top, and the diaphragm port (big circular part).
Thanks!
20210614_135001.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Polson, MT

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Generally ... there is no map to the vacuum lines for such an early model. I recall 1979 was the earliest year that came with a vacuum diagram. The drawings in the parts book are not meant to show how the vacuum should be plumbed. Instead, they are meant to help the mechanic and parts counter person to identify the needed part or parts by comparing the drawing to the vehicle in question.

All you have to do with the vacuum lines is connect the proper devices to the proper source of vacuum. There are two types of vacuum, ported and manifold. The types of fittings and the routing of the hoses does not matter. It is quite possible that the exact fittings that were used on the engine when new are not available today. However, you should be able to put together what fittings are available at the hardware store along with some plastic tees to deliver vacuum to the devices.

There is a complete 1977 TSM free to read and download here: https://oljeep.com/edge_parts_man.html

Section 4A has a chart at the end that tells you what systems are used with your model and equipment. You then look into the relevant sections in 4 or 4A to see how that system should be plumbed. This is no vacuum diagram as used on later models, not in 1977. You are supposed to look at the section for each system and connect it using the description and illustrations in the manual.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Normanator wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:59 pm Not sure why the circles won't show...
Looking at the large portion by the trans dipstick, it has a plugged threaded port on the back, the square next to it just to the right, has an open threaded port on top, and the diaphragm port (big circular part).
Thanks!

20210614_135001.jpg
The big tube is a heater hose connection. Looks like it can accept a CTO. This makes sense, since the CTO is supposed to react to the coolant temperature.

The big round thing is the EGR valve. It's described in the TSM.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

letank

Post by letank »

Don''t forget the PCV valve , the hole between the EGR and the coolant feed to the heater... has the simple PCV without modulation from the carb

and the vacuum manifold feed to the transmission modulator, if you have an automatic, it should be a TH400 and has the modulator on the passenger side of the trans, the vacuum feed to the trans is the one between the coolant feed to the heater and the EGR

Here is the 74 which has similar coolant return

Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
Normanator

Post by Normanator »

Appreciate the link to the manual, I've looked at diagrams on that site for most everything, not sure how I missed that one. Should be relatively easy to hook up as long as I know which needs manifold or ported! Thanks guys
Polson, MT

Triumph215

Post by Triumph215 »

Mine has a second brass block on top of the one you have there right in front of the PVC valve hole. It has a threaded hole facing rearwards where ta metal vacuum line goes to my automatic transmission modulator.
Also it seems like i have a fitting in the manifold behind the carb that can't bee seen in your pictures. Vacuum from there for the choke pull off, one runs to the front of the carb and the third goes to a valve in the air cleaner housing.
Periscope thing is a coolant line to the heater box.
1964 Triumph TR4 with 1964 Olds 215 heart transplant
1977 Wagoneer
2009 BMW GS1200