COntinues to roll when in park?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
memsiej

COntinues to roll when in park?

Post by memsiej »

**EDIT**
Seems to be a shift linkage bushing that's work, and the mechanism needs adjusting. Any leads on videos or write-ups?

Here's one for y'all.

Drove Patti, 84 GW, around a bit yesterday and she did great. But every time I go to put her in park we have to go through the same song and dance:

1. Put in park, key off, car continues to roll.
2. Won't start back up in park; put in N, try again.
3. Repeat step 2 1-5 times until it 'catches' and stops rolling when in park.

Every time I go through steps one and two I hear something 'catch' or it sounds like something is engaging, but still it rolls. Where to even start with this one?
1984 Grand Wagoneer V8 5.9

tgreese

Re: COntinues to roll when in park?

Post by tgreese »

I would start with the TSM, if you have one. There is an '82 version online here https://oljeep.com/edge_parts_man.html - I'd expect an '82 to be the same in this area. An actual '84 TSM is available from BJ's https://www.bjsoffroad.com/1984-87-Jeep ... _1056.html though it's rather expensive. You may find it online somewhere as CD-ROM for less money.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Check the linkage as someone shifts in it park. You might also have to drop the trans pan and watch the linkage inside as someone shift through the gears.. maybe something broke internally ? Like the parking pin
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

letank

Post by letank »

check for a missing bushing (plastic ring around the shifter rod) along the shifting mechanism. The lever comes out along the steering column in the engine bay under the master cylinder and follow the rods connections... and have someone move the shifter with a wheel choke front and back to prevent being run over.

lastly the clamp around the trans selector could be off or popped out of the gear teeth... IIRC you had an engine swap last year or 2 years ago... something may have come loose
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

weeegoneeer

Post by weeegoneeer »

Second the bushing here - same thing happened to me. IIRC there's also an adjustment you can make in the linkage to help it align, but start with the bushing if it's toast.
1984 GW

Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

check the bushings, but ? does this have a lift kit and if so is it a spring lift or a body spacer lift , the reason i ask is this, i recently removed a cheesy
3 inch body lift kit, installed a original poly urethane spacers and installed a 4' spring kit, well i couldnt get it to start in park ,neutral only, no reverse , and drive only, no 1-2 . well it turned out that the cheesy body lift caused the installer to adjust the linkage at the shift column cross bar link . i had to loosten up all the shaft connections set the trans manually in park and reset all the linkage connections, and low and behold every thing works as it left the factory. just something to check before you go to a trans shop and they jack your wallet $$$$$ and sell you a trans overhaul is needed ,