Cleaned up the 'aftermarket' wiring

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
will e

Cleaned up the 'aftermarket' wiring

Post by will e »

Short story: Lots of aftermarket stuff added. It happened over years. Each new thing was a new adventure in splicing which created a wiring and troubleshooting nightmare. After a lot of planning I spent the weekend cleaning it all up and documenting every splice, connection, wiring route.

I have a center console so I decided to remove the glove box and instead install an aluminum bracket for some electrical bus bars.

Previously I had used 3M wire taps for each additional component. (BTW, if you go this route, use the 3M stuff it is far superior to what you will find in the local auto stores).

It got out of hand. I had no idea what was tapping into what. Time to clean it up. So I purchased a couple of bus bars and went to it.

The aluminum bracket Doubles as a ground plane. Goodness that's a lot better. I drilled and tapped into it for the ground connections.

Here's what it looks like.

Not as clean as I wanted but I have every single connection documented. I needed to leave a bit of slack in the wiring in case I had to unbolt the bracket to get what is behind it, so I couldn't make it as tight as I would have liked.

The bracket has a V on both ends that match the dash. This helps keep it from moving around. It is very secure.

I ran an 'always' hot to the smaller bus bar. I use a relay to energize the larger bus bar. I use the "AUX" port on the fuse box to signal the relay.

The small device seen at the drivers end is a 12v to 5v contraption. This is used for the digital voltage meter but might get a second purpose to run the stock gauges.

There is some room left over for another bus bar for illumination of the aux gauges. I predrilled/tapped for the bracket.

Here's some of the mess I removed:

Yes, there are at least 5 wire taps, a couple of extra relay's I didn't need and so much extra wire.

My approach: I documented what I wanted to do ahead of time and moved each component to the new system. Some folks just 'cut it all out and start over', which is a valid approach. I decided to painstaking move each circuit to the new system. I tested each new circuit and each previously moved circuit as I progressed.

I am very excited to have accurate documentation on all of these additional circuits.

Here is the list:
Stereo: Stock was Aux only but modern stereo has constant power for memory and aux for normal operation.
Aftermarket gauges: Fuel pressure, tach, trans temp
Dual battery switch: Allows for adding second battery into the system when aux on, always or off
Digital volt meter: ON/OFF or Aux on. Also select which battery is displayed
Ham radio
CB radio
ARB compressor for axles
Compressor for filling tires
Refrigerator circuit
Electric fuel pump
Stereo amp
High idle carb solenoid
USB ports for charging
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

weeegoneeer

Re: Cleaned up the 'aftermarket' wiring

Post by weeegoneeer »

WHOA!!!!

Amazing job!

Did the same thing a few weeks ago - took a l-o-n-g time. Had just bits of circuitry added over time by the PO. Really wanted to clean it up and also to have everything documented.

Your photos show a whole different level of "cleaning up!"

There's a site called lucidchart that is awesome for creating diagrams. I have PNGs of all the connectors if it helps anyone.

1984 GW

az chip

Post by az chip »

Hey! Great job on that. A lot cleaner. The electrons will be very happy. Is it fused at all?
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

az chip wrote:Hey! Great job on that. A lot cleaner. The electrons will be very happy. Is it fused at all?
No, I wanted to keep the install as clean as possible.

Just kidding!

Phase 1 was installing this and cleaning up the engine compartment:

Basically I ended up with 4 main circuits into the cab. Each with it's own fuse at the fender.

1. overhead console - Constant power. Triggers relay for air compressor, ham radio and will have CB radio
2. Center console - Constant power but not in use. Aux power from glove box. The aux power triggers relays for ARB compressor for lockers, the locker solenoids and the fuel pump relay.
3. Refrigerator circuit - This one is set up to use the main power when running but the second battery when the engine is off. I also have the USB port in the cab using this circuit
4. Glove box - Constant power to the first Bus. Connected to this bus is the stereo head 'always on', the digital volt meter display and source for reading the primary battery. It also provides power to the Aux buss. The aux buss has stero on, dual battery switch input, digital meter display, the three gauges (tach, trans temp, fuel pressure), the Aux feed to the center console and the carb 'fast idle' solenoid

I am thinking of moving the cigar lighter as well. Just trying to decide if I want to go constant, aux or perhaps use the refrigerator circuit.

When I add the aftermarket gauge illumination I will take power from the Aux buss. They all use LED's so the power draw isn't too high.

In reality, the biggest power draw is the ham radio which shares the compressor trigger and CB. The biggest power draw in the glove box is the stereo head and it doesn't power speakers, just preamps. The amp for the stero has its own circuit
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

Looks good Mike! Where did you get the fuse block and bus bars?
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

You know it's bad when your car is on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

Cheapthrills

Post by Cheapthrills »

That's an interesting way to set it up... looks a lot safer than most I've seen

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

Cheapthrills wrote:That's an interesting way to set it up... looks a lot safer than most I've seen

Thanks. But Craig's question got me to thinking maybe swap out the bus bars for small fuse blocks. That way each is protected and a problem with one won't take out the rest of circuits by blowing the main fuse. Something by the same company "Blue Sea Systems" like this:

https://www.bluesea.com/products/5046/S ... 8_Circuits

Cheapthrills

Post by Cheapthrills »

will e wrote:
Cheapthrills wrote:That's an interesting way to set it up... looks a lot safer than most I've seen

Thanks. But Craig's question got me to thinking maybe swap out the bus bars for small fuse blocks. That way each is protected and a problem with one won't take out the rest of circuits by blowing the main fuse. Something by the same company "Blue Sea Systems" like this:

https://www.bluesea.com/products/5046/S ... 8_Circuits

Yea I think that would be a better setup.. I pulled the accessory fuse block out of an old crown vic cop car I was thinking of using to integrate and replace my exsisting stock fuse block havnt decided for sure yet though

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

Cheapthrills wrote:Yea I think that would be a better setup.. I pulled the accessory fuse block out of an old crown vic cop car I was thinking of using to integrate and replace my exsisting stock fuse block havnt decided for sure yet though
One advantage would be multicolored wires. Almost all of mine are red. ;)

I don't know why I didn't think of the fuse block to begin with. I think mostly because things were all tapped together so this was a 'cleaner' way to do the taps. Swapping to fuse blocks shouldn't be too hard. The hard work of tracing the lines and such is already done.

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

Ordered new fuse blocks today.

az chip

Post by az chip »

will e wrote:Ordered new fuse blocks today.
I didn’t want to mess up your design. I was only wondering about circuit protection.

Mine is a mess. The rear to fuse block harness is spliced in with common butt splices and needs a fix. I need to upgrade the alternator to more power but I am unsure what to do to upgrade the wiring. My ammeter delete is not finished and the whole thing is as yet unpainted. Frustration abounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

BaldBeardedBastard

Post by BaldBeardedBastard »

Hey Will e- resurrecting a long dormant thread. Ever get the secondary fuse blocks installed?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

'86 GW Cummins 2.8/4l60E. Hopefully bouncing down a dusty road somewhere.
Build Thread

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

No but I still have plans to do so. The buss bars seem to be working fine, no issues with shorting out or anything.