Issue with NV229 transfer case - HELP!

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Theodore

Issue with NV229 transfer case - HELP!

Post by Theodore »

So, we are continuing the leak reduction quest & have worked our way to the transfer case. Mechanic pulled it to replace seals & found that the pressure plate that goes in the clutch basket is broken. Am stuck til we find one.

Am having trouble finding one here locally. And, really dont want to spend the $$$ to replace the transfer case.

Am wondering options for purchasing a replacement, or does anyone have one they would be willing to part with?

1990 Grand Wagoneer - "Theodore" - AMC 360, fuel-injected, TF727, NP229 - Sand Metallic - restoring to stock - Build Thread

Topic author
Theodore

Re: Issue with NV229 transfer case - HELP!

Post by Theodore »

Poking around online - it appears the part is number 21 in this diagram - viscuous clutch.

1990 Grand Wagoneer - "Theodore" - AMC 360, fuel-injected, TF727, NP229 - Sand Metallic - restoring to stock - Build Thread

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Where do you live ? I have a working 229 id be willing to sell
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
Theodore

Post by Theodore »

Am in East Tennessee.

Poking around on the forum, the part thats broken is the viscous coupler. Have been looking around, and see that no one appears to a make replacement part. The shop has the case cracked open, waiting, looking for parts. So, am dead til we figure something out.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

There was only a short little period of time, around 2010 to 2015 IIRC that some outfit was offering "reconditioned/rebuilt" VCs, I don't believe that full new units or even new VC parts were ever available in the aftermarket as the OEM warranty just replaced the whole transfer case. During the brief period when reconditioned units were out there, I don't remember any glowing reviews.

One thing I do remember from the days of yore, back before this board was made, is some guy had a write up to "pin" the VC, turning the NP229 into a part-time only case, 2hi, 4hi-lock, and 4lo-lock. Might be worth looking for, or even figuring out on your own if you just don't want to mess with the t-case right now.

EDIT>>> Here's the thread from the way-back machine. I remember there being pictures, but that was 16 years ago so even if there were pics I can't say I'm surprised they're gone, haha!
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=2520
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Tripwire

Post by Tripwire »

I have a np 228 case thats usable perhaps you can swap out the shaft and eliminate the VC?
FSJ.ORG JOIN DATE JULY 2000

Tripwire. 86 Grand. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/228 BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer

Washington State

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

IMO, find a working NP229. You should be able to find one for $100-$200 and $90 S&H

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

I heard its common for the 229 have leaking viscous couplers. Thankfully mine works and the one in the salvage yard i got works too.. if the fluid is bright pink the vc should be good.. if its got silverly stuff in it thats the viscous coupler liquid plus i dont think youll even have power to the front if it leaked

Im suprised they never made new ones. They do for my grand cherokees. Zjs but i guess they made a million more of those jeeps.. i bought a new vc for my 249 years ago for 300$ on ebay and it worked good.

I dunno how much itd be to ship my 229.. the thing weighs probably 100 lbs. And i want 150$ for it. Paid 100$ for it not counting my time to remove it. I bought it as a spare for my 229 in case i get a broken viscous coupler one day.

I was hoping youd be in virginia..

I too read about a way to lock the viscous coupler so it will still work in 4wd but me more part time like redone said. I Think you have to pin the plates together.. inside every viscous coupler there are metal plates that grab when the liquid becomes more viscous. I believe these plates have holes in there so you just need to spin then to line the holes up and put a pin inside them to lock the plates together.

Or just go on craigslist. Ebay or facebook market place and look for a used 229 or 229 viscous coupler.

Oh and i believe np 119 uses a the same type of viscous coupler.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
Theodore

Post by Theodore »

Thanks for the info. Have seen the article re: pinning the VC. Saw that too, the way I understand it, doing that basically turns the 229 into a 228... Rather than doing what appears to be a rigging it, am looking at replacing with a 228. I have a line on one, that hopefully we can pick up this wknd, once I am back in town. Will update once I see what happens.

?- curiosity, candymancan, am located 3 miles from Virginia - where are you located, in case this falls thru? Given your ur comments, am assuming northern VA. Thanks.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Theodore wrote:Thanks for the info. Have seen the article re: pinning the VC. Saw that too, the way I understand it, doing that basically turns the 229 into a 228... Rather than doing what appears to be a rigging it, am looking at replacing with a 228. I have a line on one, that hopefully we can pick up this wknd, once I am back in town. Will update once I see what happens.

?- curiosity, candymancan, am located 3 miles from Virginia - where are you located, in case this falls thru? Given your ur comments, am assuming northern VA. Thanks.
If you pin the VC, it should make it act like a 208, as it will no longer have any 'slip' to it. A 228 has an open center differential. Meaning you can get stuck in high range if any of your four tires has low traction. A 208 is a part time case, it does not have full time mode.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Theodore

Re: Issue with NV229 transfer case - HELP! - Solved

Post by Theodore »

Was reading thru some of my old posts & realized I never updated this one with the fix.

Basically, I was able to find an NP229 at Jake’s FSJ junkyard over the mountain from me in Burnsville, NC. Had the transmission shop go thru it to ensure things were good & re-seal it. Has worked like a champ.

dodgerammit

Re: Issue with NV229 transfer case - HELP! - Solved

Post by dodgerammit »

Theodore wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:28 pm Was reading thru some of my old posts & realized I never updated this one with the fix.

Basically, I was able to find an NP229 at Jake’s FSJ junkyard over the mountain from me in Burnsville, NC. Had the transmission shop go thru it to ensure things were good & re-seal it. Has worked like a champ.
I'm forgoing a 229 replacement and opting to swap a 242 instead.

This case gives you 2wd, full time 4wd, and part time 4wd in high range along with low range 4wd.

To do the swap, you'll need the long 23 spline input and either keep the slip yoke, or do a sye and both require a new rear driveshaft. You'll also need Novak's shifter linkage kit.

I got the case locally for $200. Gonna do a full rebuild since it's coming apart for the input shaft swap. This is a later version, so the slip yoke is external. I'm just gonna get a slip yoke shaft made for it and be done. My rig isn't lifted, and with the external slip, if the rear driveshaft has an issue, I'll still be able to run without it in 4 hi.

I'll be all in with a new case, shifter, and driveshaft for about $1000 at worst. I could cheap out and not rebuild and be in for less than $500.

Either way, these viscous coupler units are going to fail. It's inevitable. There's no more couplings being made. Replacement remans are $1300.

This case has no viscous to fail, so I'm good to go.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

Topic author
Theodore

Post by Theodore »

Seems a reasonable approach; at the time, we were neck deep in a transmission rebuild & were looking to minimize the hemorrhaging; finding a working NP229 got us back on the road. Will definitely keep this option in mind if I find myself with a failed VC. Thanks for writing this up.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Theodore wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:46 pm Seems a reasonable approach; at the time, we were neck deep in a transmission rebuild & were looking to minimize the hemorrhaging; finding a working NP229 got us back on the road. Will definitely keep this option in mind if I find myself with a failed VC. Thanks for writing this up.
No problem. I totally understand. I'm still driving the leaking, failing unit right now as well. The 242 is in the shop for a teardown as soon as the pain in the butt rear main replacement is complete on the Eagle. :D Here is a good youtube link referencing the parts needed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVTiDWqBSo4

And a writeup of a guy who's also done this:http://full-size-jeep.blogspot.com/2013 ... p.html?m=1
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD