87 Grand Wagoneer

Area for General FSJ related chat.

cone

Re: 87 Grand Wagoneer

Post by cone »

sirrus wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:46 am Nice job! I agree that $189 is absolutely outrageous for Wagonmasters console (so are all their prices IMO). How are you going too mount it? Or is it just going to sit on tranny hump under it's own weight?

I also wanted something more useful than factory armrest and fitted center console from 90s Buick Roadmaster. Console itself was just $20-ish at local junkyard, reupholstering it was considerably more, but I'm very happy with the result.

It moves up and down like the factory one, but I have it down 99% of the time - tends to open on it's own in the upright position and spill my stuff all over the floor :)
Thanks for the info. I just picked one up at the local pick a part for $15 and it looks like it will fit but I will have to get it reupholstered too.

Topic author
freehold

Post by freehold »

Phreespirit74 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:05 pm That looks great! Bet you could sell those. Those other wood ones are ridiculous at $180 and yours is better. I bought a 90’s Tahoe console for $65 instead.
My carpentry skills are so bad, I ought to pay people to take them--but thank you! I'd thought a lot about going the route of the re-purposed consoles from other vehicles, but I had vacation time to spare and thought it a fun project. Just some oak-faced plywood and a simple pine frame underneath.
1987 GW, 202k miles, AMC 360 engine rebuilt 62k ago, all more or less bone stock
1997 Grand Cherokee ZJ, 244k and still going
When it rains, I drive an MDX

Topic author
freehold

Post by freehold »

sirrus wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:46 am Nice job! I agree that $189 is absolutely outrageous for Wagonmasters console (so are all their prices IMO). How are you going too mount it? Or is it just going to sit on tranny hump under it's own weight?

I also wanted something more useful than factory armrest and fitted center console from 90s Buick Roadmaster. Console itself was just $20-ish at local junkyard, reupholstering it was considerably more, but I'm very happy with the result.

It moves up and down like the factory one, but I have it down 99% of the time - tends to open on it's own in the upright position and spill my stuff all over the floor :)
Thanks--your matching Buick console looks spectacular. And I'm so envious of your reupholstered seats. That's probably next on my list of GW follies.

I've built the thing to rest on the hump, but there are actually a few tacks sticking down/through on the back/underneath to help it grip the carpet. When I bought my Jeep, it came with a plastic, cheap thing from Autozone, which was probably built for a Honda Civic's transmission hump it was so skinny. Anything near a full mug of coffee would tip it right over whenever I rounded a corner. (Thankfully, I caught all of the near-spills.) This thing has a much improved center of gravity and shares the weight/aerodynamic appeal of the flying brick it rides in.
1987 GW, 202k miles, AMC 360 engine rebuilt 62k ago, all more or less bone stock

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

Those seats are not reupholstered! Straight from 1988 :) some cleaner and conditioner from time to time and I think that’s the best angle for a picture (drivers seat is a bit more scratched and worn).

I was playing with idea of making console that would sit on the hump in front of middle seat, however I was going to draw it in Fusion and 3D print. Halfway through design stage I’ve came across a thread here or on ifsja about roadmaster consoles, checked my local pick-n-pull and grabbed it the same day Image people wanted $200-ish for them on ebay, so I considered mine a really good deal!
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

Topic author
freehold

Post by freehold »

sirrus wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:56 am Those seats are not reupholstered! Straight from 1988 :) some cleaner and conditioner from time to time and I think that’s the best angle for a picture (drivers seat is a bit more scratched and worn).
That is love and grace, my friend. What a gift to have an original interior such as yours.

OBXGW

Post by OBXGW »

I see your in NC. Where is the shop that you and the other GW owner use?
Sorry everyone. I tried to PM him but could not find it in his contact info.

Topic author
freehold

Post by freehold »

OBXGW wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:15 am I see your in NC. Where is the shop that you and the other GW owner use?
Sorry everyone. I tried to PM him but could not find it in his contact info.
So sorry that I didn't see this -- I used a trusted mechanic who runs a Shell Station on Front Street in Statesville, NC.

Topic author
freehold

Post by freehold »

Thought I was due for an update--I've been logging on here somewhat regularly to keep up, but life as it often does has gotten busy.

But not too busy to drive my Wagoneer!

I've tried to keep the habit of driving Woodrow (a not incredibly original nickname) once week to work and then once on the weekends. I haven't (*knocks on wood*) had any real issues to speak of. Sometime soon I'll need to give some attention to my windows, which I am in no way prepared for right now. The driver's rear window motor stopped working with the window 99.9 percent closed--it's got a gap of about 1/16", which is fine to live with. The PO installed chrome-covered rain guards, and I keep it parked under cover, so no worries about moisture getting in. My driver's side window felt has hardened with age, and earlier this summer, a little chunk crusted and broke away.

I'm privileged to have a functional, cold-blowing air conditioner, which I use somewhat sparingly. The compressor makes a heckuva racket at certain RPMs, and I don't mind driving with 2/60 air conditioning.

The machine continues to provide a comforting drip of fluids underneath, enough to keep me changing out cardboard boxes now and then, but nothing is leaking to the point that it requires anything more than a top off every several months. That has much more to do with my very limited use of the vehicle, I imagine. I'll hit two years of ownership in November, and I've only put about 2,000 miles on it.

And somewhere back in this thread is the original list of stuff I identified. It's mostly still all relevant, but I've learned to just live with the machine mostly as it is and enjoy the time I spend driving it.

I continue to get unsolicited offers to sell it, and it continues to be the most fun car I've had the pleasure of owning. My wife's new Honda Odyssey is like driving a cloud with an Apple computer plugged in, but it's still fun to tool around town in "muh Jeep," with all of its creaks, smells, and roars.

Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

areas to look to remove gremlins , rear window inoperative you will have to lower the window glass manually from inside by gaining access through the rectangular panel on the tail gate, once you lower the tailgate look at the rear driverside tailgate area you will see a wiring bundle that passes thru that frame to tailgate you will probably find broken wires there its the weak link with the power window the rear power window system is very simple in design only 5 wires 2 for the defroster and 3 for the window motor, the defroster is probably shot due to glass scrathing caused by faulty or mising rear tailgate window seals , all are available thru team gw, or BJ's hope this helps, alsi the parking brake cable on the drivers side runs between the frame rail and gas tank ans can be found to be packed with mud and either rusted out or rusted frozen, also there are 2 roll over checkvalves located on top of the fuel tank that were recommended by jeep to be replaced every 100k miles , of course no one did that so if you smell gas in your garage or see a leak when toping of your tank this is where to look they are about 6 bucks each at bj's . hope this helps

Topic author
freehold

Post by freehold »

All great advice. Thanks!