Engine knocks under load

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
jakerc02

Re: Engine knocks under load

Post by jakerc02 »

So we went to replace the motor mounts and we loosened all the bolt but went to raise the engine the whole truck was getting raised. We completely removed all the bolts and soaked each mount in wd40 but they are still sticking. Instead of just the engine getting raise the entire chassis is raising. Any ideas to why this is happening? Should I try loosening the transmission mount?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

There are 2mounts. Two engine and 1 transmission mount. It might be rust welded id give a good whacking with a big F hammer to break the mounts free. You could try to losen the trans mount but im wondering if you got all the righf engine mount bolts off.

Can you snap a picture
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

letank

Post by letank »

transmission selector lever you may need to remove the safety pin and separate the transmission selector lever from the rest of the mechanism, on the steering column in the engine bay under the MC... I had the same issues when I did my engine mounts. Watch for the rolling plastic bushing...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

hagar

Post by hagar »

Auto transmission ?
Maybe the flex plate is cracked/cracking.

Topic author
jakerc02

Post by jakerc02 »

letank wrote:transmission selector lever you may need to remove the safety pin and separate the transmission selector lever from the rest of the mechanism, on the steering column in the engine bay under the MC... I had the same issues when I did my engine mounts. Watch for the rolling plastic bushing...
We got the motor mounts all swapped yesterday and it just took another inch or two of jacking for the engine to come up. Now we have a problem though and it may be because of something like this. Went to test drive it and the transmission is having issues. Every gear is a neutral now. It was rolling back in every gear(auto trans btw). Once I put it back in park it makes a grinding sound but only in park. We’re wondering(and hoping) that it’s just the shift linkage that got bent and maybe now it’s in between gears. I can hear a shift noise and see from below that something is engaging, but something is very wrong. Any ideas?

Topic author
jakerc02

Post by jakerc02 »

jakerc02 wrote:
letank wrote:transmission selector lever you may need to remove the safety pin and separate the transmission selector lever from the rest of the mechanism, on the steering column in the engine bay under the MC... I had the same issues when I did my engine mounts. Watch for the rolling plastic bushing...
We got the motor mounts all swapped yesterday and it just took another inch or two of jacking for the engine to come up. Now we have a problem though and it may be because of something like this. Went to test drive it and the transmission is having issues. Every gear is a neutral now. It was rolling back in every gear(auto trans btw). Once I put it back in park it makes a grinding sound but only in park. We’re wondering(and hoping) that it’s just the shift linkage that got bent and maybe now it’s in between gears. I can hear a shift noise and see from below that something is engaging, but something is very wrong. Any ideas?

Just realized the tcase had been pushed into neutral somehow so I shift it back and it all worked! So relieved it was such a simple thing.

will e

Post by will e »

Good! How's it driving?
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
jakerc02

Post by jakerc02 »

Driving good, but the knock still isn’t solved. Gonna do the trans mount today and see if that fixes it. It that still doesn’t I’m thinking it’s maybe some sort of exhaust leak. Sounds like a great excuse for headers to me!

will e

Post by will e »

jakerc02 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:04 am Sounds like a great excuse for headers to me!
That's how you can guarantee an exhaust leak. ;)
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge