Belt Routing

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
andrew_lawson1

Belt Routing

Post by andrew_lawson1 »

All,

I was trying to order belts for my 91 GW and the belts I ordered didn't match what was on place. I had two Gates 7508 belts on the AC,Crank and Alternator. That was right. Then there was a single Gates 7580 running the PS pump, air pump, fan and crank. I finally figured out that the PO had flipped the pulley on the air pump so it was in line with the front groove on PS pump. I know how to put it back to the way it was designed but I'm curious if the belt change is a better configuration. Putting it back would add a belt and I've heard more belts are a drag on performance. No expert on the subject.

will e

Re: Belt Routing

Post by will e »

I would go with the original configuration. If the engineers thought they could get away with one less belt, they would have. Also, when the A.I.R pump fails or seizes (like mine has done) you can just cut the small belt and keep going.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge