Three piece bumper question

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Tim75

Post by Tim75 »

I have a question about the three piece chrome bumpers that I cant seem to find. I was wondering what is different between the wide track and the narrow track front bumper. Is it the same with just different mounting holes in the center piece? or is the center piece totally different? Or all three different?

letank

Re: Three piece bumper question

Post by letank »

Tim75 wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:10 pm I have a question about the three piece chrome bumpers that I cant seem to find. I was wondering what is different between the wide track and the narrow track front bumper. Is it the same with just different mounting holes in the center piece? or is the center piece totally different? Or all three different?
No differences, the wide track have flared fenders, so the front end and the tailgate parts are identical to the standards.

The mounting of the 3 piece is a bit of a "fudge" do not rely on it for a bumper jack efficiency. For the first few flat/repair the bumper held up, but after many uses, the bumper would follow the lifting until it shouldered the fascia, then the body would go off the ground. So it is purely esthetic... I have a 3 piece front bumper somewhere...

Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

For the 79+ single piece front bumpers, WT vs NT are entirely different parts. The WT is much wider.

For 78 and older 3 piece front bumpers, the bumpers have two sets of holes for late-75 to 78 bumpers so make them wider or narrower. The early 74 and older only have the holes for NT fenders.

Rear's are the same.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

FSJRomanGladiator

Post by FSJRomanGladiator »

Stuka wrote:For the 79+ single piece front bumpers, WT vs NT are entirely different parts. The WT is much wider.

For 78 and older 3 piece front bumpers, the bumpers have two sets of holes for late-75 to 78 bumpers so make them wider or narrower. The early 74 and older only have the holes for NT fenders.

Rear's are the same.

Did not know this. Great info. Now need to locate one for my 74.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'15 Grand Cherokee 4X4 - Altitude - Blacked Out
'74 J10 - (restoring) 383 Stroker; TH400 Trans, Dana 44's 4.10 gear, Dana 20 TC. 4" Lift from Skyjacker;

Topic author
Tim75

Post by Tim75 »

Thank you for the responses, Gentlemen. That was the info I was unsure about. I appreciate the help1

Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

Hyou said you can't seem to find them but have you looked on ebay? I come across NOS ones occasionally on there, and sometimes whole sets. But usually only just one NOS section at a time. Constantly look on there and with patience you can find them. Mine came from a 68 in Washington state and were in really good shape, I think I got all 3 pieces for like 200 bucks
1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.