Jay Leno's Garage: 1965 Wagoneer Roadtrip Concept

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Stuka
Site Admin

Jay Leno's Garage: 1965 Wagoneer Roadtrip Concept

Post by Stuka »

This is a video of one of the EJS Jeeps that Jeep did last year. I really do love this Jeep, back when it came out, and more so after watching this.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

will e

Re: Jay Leno's Garage: 1965 Wagoneer Roadtrip Concept

Post by will e »

Watching it now. Almost first shot shows one tail light not working. Classic!
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

freehold

Post by freehold »

will e wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:17 pm Watching it now. Almost first shot shows one tail light not working. Classic!
I saw that, too! I have to admit it seems thrilling to imagine my '87 with a Hemi sitting under the hood. And I think the cosmetic work they did with the wheel wells makes sense to me. I'm typically a purist when it comes to restorations, but in this case, they've made a totally fun and awesome-looking car. Good for them. And good for Leno for featuring it.
1987 GW, 202k miles, AMC 360 engine rebuilt 62k ago, all more or less bone stock
1997 Grand Cherokee ZJ, 244k and still going
When it rains, I drive an MDX

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Watched it this morning. Nice to see it is still making the rounds.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

Very cool build. I also like the way they went with the flares. If i had mad skills, I might have tried something similar instead of standard WT flares.

They moved the axles (front forward, rear backward), which i also appreciate. The rear overhang has always been less than optimal. They did it without making the proportions look odd.

With that said, considering all the coolness of this rig, why didn’t they continue the body lines behind the rear flares???
They started with a very clean rig. The original sheet metal was there. I just don’t understand this one “defect”.

I would still daily drive the heck out of it!
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

jpswapmohn wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:33 am ..

With that said, considering all the coolness of this rig, why didn’t they continue the body lines behind the rear flares???
They started with a very clean rig. The original sheet metal was there. I just don’t understand this one “defect”.
^^ this! looking at all the fabrication work they did I did not understand why they made this so flat!

regardless, this is almost exactly what I would like to look mine on the outside.
1984 grand wagoneer
  • topaz gold | deep night blue,
  • AMC 360 v8 | 2019 5.7 hemi,
  • TF727 auto 3 speed | 8hp70 8 speed
  • nutmeg interior | sand or almond interior to be decided
it's a project now:
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewto ... 35#p197535

letank

Post by letank »

Chevy C10 bumper... inverted and tweaked.... for a bumper replacement... good idea

What is wrong with the dance, pump the carb once, or twice if early am, 3x if not ran for a week or two as long as you have an epump

Engine bay is clean... no wire loom all over.... No AC. Yes it is bit bouncy, Jay is having issues to stay in its lane

What is Moab... ah, ah, ah...

See you next week...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

just looking at this one for the ##th time, and it looks like the rain gutter that runs from the cowl to the top of the windshield on each side is gone, anybody see that too? I have been looking at that for when mine is going under the knife, as it really does not seem to have a lot of purpose and is a clear source of wind noise.
1984 grand wagoneer
it's a project now:

Topic author
Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

wimsurf wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:07 am just looking at this one for the ##th time, and it looks like the rain gutter that runs from the cowl to the top of the windshield on each side is gone, anybody see that too? I have been looking at that for when mine is going under the knife, as it really does not seem to have a lot of purpose and is a clear source of wind noise.
Yeah, it is missing. But it definitely has purpose. My Wrangler for instance only has the rain gutter go to that front corner of the door. When I get in in dumping rain, there is a big stream of water coming down right where me legs are. Not an issue on FSJ's, unless you remove that section of the gutter.

But it certainly has a cleaner look without it, and wind noise may be less without it.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

Stuka wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:52 am
wimsurf wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:07 am just looking at this one for the ##th time, and it looks like the rain gutter that runs from the cowl to the top of the windshield on each side is gone, anybody see that too? I have been looking at that for when mine is going under the knife, as it really does not seem to have a lot of purpose and is a clear source of wind noise.
Yeah, it is missing. But it definitely has purpose. My Wrangler for instance only has the rain gutter go to that front corner of the door. When I get in in dumping rain, there is a big stream of water coming down right where me legs are. Not an issue on FSJ's, unless you remove that section of the gutter.

But it certainly has a cleaner look without it, and wind noise may be less without it.
yeah, thanks, that's what I am afraid of, since I do not live in an area with California weather by any means, keeping it waterproof is a main concern, I am even looking at modern cars which all have a double row of rubbers to keep wind noise and water out, maybe for when I go paint it, it will happen.
1984 grand wagoneer
it's a project now:

letank

Post by letank »

wind noise is a real annoyance on long trips such as from West coast to Moab or Ouray the noise gets on your nerves... Do I hear banjo music? Is the exhaust leaking or the camshaft giving up the ghost???
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)