Cylinder head interchange

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
custom76

Cylinder head interchange

Post by custom76 »

I have an opportunity to buy a pair of good 1971 heads off a 360. Is their any difference or downside to putting these on my 1976?

What do these typically sell for?

Thx
1976 Custom Wagoneer Survivor
2000 WS6 Trans Am Conv, performance and suspension mods
1971 GTO Conv, 4 speed, built 428 (rest of its waiting for me to finish the Wag :| )
An old Pontiac guy gone Waggy!
:D Whoever designed these tailgates must still be grinning :D

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Cylinder head interchange

Post by Stuka »

No clue what they sell for, and that really depends on condition.

But, 71 could be one of two different heads. 51cc or 58cc. Both will raise your compression, and both will also have the dog leg exhaust ports like your current heads.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
custom76

Post by custom76 »

Stuka wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:41 pm No clue what they sell for, and that really depends on condition.

But, 71 could be one of two different heads. 51cc or 58cc. Both will raise your compression, and both will also have the dog leg exhaust ports like your current heads.
Do you know what compression ratios I would have on these and is having the seats hardened even an issue with AMC motors? It’s kind of a big deal on Pontiac motors if you jack up the compression and run ethanol added gas.
Thx
1971 GTO Conv, 4 speed, built 428 (rest of its waiting for me to finish the Wag :| )

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

71 would need to have hardened seats installed if you didn't want to have to worry about it. Since you would have them off, it wouldn't hurt, it doesn't cost much (They are like $6 each).

And the compression ratio would depend on what pistons you have, so I cannot answer that.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

will e

Post by will e »

Exhaust bolts may be different. On the older heads all 6 exhaust bolts were the larger size (I believe 3/8 inch thread). On the newer heads, don't ask me when they started this, the outer bolts are smaller than the inner bolts which remained at 3/8 inch thread).

Also, the hole for the alternator bolt is typically larger on the older heads too. I believe 7/16".

So if you do decide to use them, verify the bolt sizes before you assemble them onto the engine. You might need to get replacement bolts.

Good luck!
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

MReese Wagoneer

Post by MReese Wagoneer »

will e wrote: Also, the hole for the alternator bolt is typically larger on the older heads too. I believe 7/16".

So if you do decide to use them, verify the bolt sizes before you assemble them onto the engine. You might need to get replacement bolts. !
I can tell you the alternator bolt is different , no one makes the Delco alt with a 7/16 hole on the 2” mount , I drilled mine out along with 2 mount brackets and the 2 inch spacer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:fsj:
New 83 Wagoneer Brougham
old 99 Grand Cherokee Limited
http://www.mandgoilandlube.com

Topic author
custom76

Post by custom76 »

will e wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:08 am Exhaust bolts may be different. On the older heads all 6 exhaust bolts were the larger size (I believe 3/8 inch thread). On the newer heads, don't ask me when they started this, the outer bolts are smaller than the inner bolts which remained at 3/8 inch thread).

Also, the hole for the alternator bolt is typically larger on the older heads too. I believe 7/16".

So if you do decide to use them, verify the bolt sizes before you assemble them onto the engine. You might need to get replacement bolts.

Good info, thx
Good luck!

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

This may be helpful to you.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
custom76

Post by custom76 »

fulsizjeep wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:38 pm This may be helpful to you.
Many thanks, very helpful.

Topic author
custom76

Post by custom76 »

Stuka wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:48 pm 71 would need to have hardened seats installed if you didn't want to have to worry about it. Since you would have them off, it wouldn't hurt, it doesn't cost much (They are like $6 each).

And the compression ratio would depend on what pistons you have, so I cannot answer that.
I was told by PO engine was freshened with new rings on the stock pistons. The RH cylinder head has a small crack that was repaired by some PO at the far rear bottom corner. Can’t tell without getting closer if it was welded or epoxied.

It’s more of a minor nuisance with some oil burn off and I may try an epoxy patch first, think I can get to it in order to prep and repair if I pull the outside heater box.

I realize head replacement is preferred, but any suggestions on a brand or type of metal epoxy?

Thx