Looking for a FSJ truck

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
jeepman64

Looking for a FSJ truck

Post by jeepman64 »

My son wants a Jeep truck for his first vehicle. He will be 15 in a couple months and I’d like to get something he can become familiar with before getting his license. I am absolutely delighted this is his first choice.

I do not want anything that has been redone that he can tear up. Looking for an automatic, v8, short bed. Plans would be to lift and fit 33s maybe 35s. Body does not need to be in good shape.

I’ve owned jeeps my whole life but never an old fsj truck. Is there anything we need to avoid or look for? Any tips?

Thanks
Will
Hickory, NC

pyro

Re: Looking for a FSJ truck

Post by pyro »

Honestly, they are fun project vehicles but I wouldn't buy one for my kids first ride. Statistically, he will wreck it. While it would be a shame to see another FSJ off the road, the lack of safety features could put his life at risk if the crash is bad. I would get him something you won't care if it gets wrecked and maybe get a father son weekend FSJ you can work on together. Those are my plans when my boy hits that age.

For your other questions, they are loaded! It all depends on what you want to do and your and his tastes, pickup, 4 door, 2 door?
'81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
'82 Cherokee 258/TF904
'84 CJ-8 258/T176

Florida FSJ's Click Here!!!

letank

Post by letank »

look out for rust in the bed and wheel wells... usually the death of many , windshield area ... floor in the cab are flinstone standard, gas tank is problematic... and the usual fluid, cooling and general maintenance items
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Crankyolman

Post by Crankyolman »

I think if my son wanted a J truck I'd be looking at a later model, probably '79 and up.
'72 J4500

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

Will, I think I understand. I made the mistake of letting my son drive my 78 Wag when he was 10. Here I am, nearly six years later, and he wants that same Wag for his first vehicle, since it's the first thing he drove. Unfortunately, I told him years ago he could have it but, it's been rusty since I got it. The rust hasn't improved; PO-installed electric fans didn't kick on warming it up last time it ran causing the radiator to explode and the engine to get way too hot; parts have been robbed from it; etc... He STILL wants it!

If he's dead set on having a brow cab, good luck. If he can deal without it, you'd have better luck finding a good condition '80-'86. And you wouldn't have to worry about the t-case, quite as much.
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

Topic author
jeepman64

Post by jeepman64 »

Thanks everybody!