Tailgate glass to roof seal

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
gilbedw

Tailgate glass to roof seal

Post by gilbedw »

1982 Cherokee tailgate refurbish.
I am replacing the seal that guides and seals the tailgate glass to the roof. I have a new seal but no instructions. Mine was completely gone so I could not see how it was installed.
I would appreciate information on how others have done this. Do you start at one end and work around or start in the center and work both ways? Each end has a hole in it. I see what looks like a rivet in the body about where the seal ends. I guess it was riveted on the ends.

SJTD

Re: Tailgate glass to roof seal

Post by SJTD »

I started in the center. Used a piece of 1/4" aluminum about 6" long with the edges rounded to seat the clips and aluminum pop rivets at the ends.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Eldog22

Post by Eldog22 »

Im about to do mine on my 73 so I'll follow along. But had a question. Did you replace the seal between the glass and stainless trim along the top of the actual glass for tailgate?
Bjs dosent have a seal so trying to figure out what to do

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Me? '84 Didn't have the stainless trim on the edge of back glass. I assumed it was "glued" on with some sort of caulk.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.