Looking to get a crash course in FSJ ('75 J10) knowledge

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
GoMopar440

Re: Looking to get a crash course in FSJ ('75 J10) knowledge

Post by GoMopar440 »

More pics after a quick trip past my house today.

Fuel line bends to fit FST carb.

Fuel line blocking access to coil bracket mounting point.

I plan on moving the bracket to this front intake bolt.

A couple pics showing the carb and intake installed and the valve covers repainted.
'75 J10 Thriftside, 360, TH400, BW1339

letank

Post by letank »

GoMopar440 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:23 pm More pics after a quick trip past my house today.

I plan on moving the bracket to this front intake bolt.
prettttty... as for the coil bracket, I would not loosen the intake manifold bolt, especially as there is a water passage next to it.

You can make an extension bracket... such as a flat bar intermediate, as it seems that you have enough space for the bolt fit in... may be not... for my first TFI I did a series of brackets... lets see if I find the ugly contraption

a bit of fail, as I used the oil coil bracket for the second mounting point.... it is on the 74

Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
GoMopar440

Post by GoMopar440 »

The intake bolts are only on finger tight right now, so the valley pan gasket hasn't been compressed yet. I ran out of time to torque it down due to weather last time I was home. Also there isn't any coolant up that high in the engine at the moment either. Shouldn't be an issue to fit that bracket under the bolt right there.

BTW, it looks like we have identical alternator top bolt brackets. Is that S shaped strap of metal with the holes in it factory? I thought it was a homebrew fix from the look of it.

Topic author
GoMopar440

Post by GoMopar440 »

Looking at your coil mount pic again just gave me an idea. I think in addition to using that front intake bolt, I'm going to add a metal strap (or two) going from the original coil mount location and then over to the other bolts on the bracket. That should make it less prone to vibration cracking the bracket near the 90* bend or the intake bolt.

Topic author
GoMopar440

Post by GoMopar440 »

I just stopped in to let you all know that this project hasn't been forgotten about. It will probably be a while longer before I can make any updates though.

I'm going through a divorce right now and the truck is at the place where my soon-to-be ex is still living. I'm now at a place in town and I'm keeping away from the homestead so she can't make up stories about me (any more than she already is anyway). The titles for both my '75 J10 and '75 Power Wagon are only in my name and I also have both of the titles for them with me. If she tries to sell, damage or get rid of either of them then she'll likely be commiting another felony. As you may have gathered by my wording here, it's not likely to be a simple divorce. :banghead:

oregonphil

Post by oregonphil »

That's rough! Good luck, hope you make it out with your skin and most of your stuff.
77sj 401 warmed over
72 Commando basically stock
07 Siena should last forever
76 FLH just for fun

Topic author
GoMopar440

Post by GoMopar440 »

Well that was a long ordeal, but I did come out of it ok in the end. The judge wasn't too impressed with her arguments and lies or her attitude and in the end I wound up with my house, '75 J10, '75 Power Wagon and tools. Right now I'd like to leave that chapter of my life behind me and start working on the J10 again to help me get my head screwed back on straight. I'm not working any longer, so I should have quite a bit more time for wrenching on the truck, albeit with less money to buy parts with.

Anyway, I figure the fuel system is the biggest problem right now so that's where I'll start. My truck isn't lifted at all so I jacked it up and got it on stands and ramps to give me more room to work. The fill neck mounted to the bed of the step side always looked a bit cobbled so that came off first. The bolt flange was warped badly but a little hammer and dolly work got it flattened out to like new. Next I took it to the wire wheel and cleaned up the flange and the base of the fill tube. Sometime long ago the tube must have broken off because under the paint it was brazed back onto the base flange. The inside of the fill tube also is pretty rusty, so I'll have to deal with that before it goes back on the truck. The rubber underneath the fill tube is cracked beyond repair, so once I get that out I'll have to find a new one to replace it. I stuck some tape over the flange hole, but given the current condition of the fuel system that probably wasn't necessary.

I got a late start today, so that was all I was able to get done. I'll have to figure out how I was getting pics posted before so I can start posting them up again.

coolhand75

Post by coolhand75 »

Thanks for the update

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chubbinius

Post by Chubbinius »

Happy to hear that you are back at it and have your stuff still to work on. Keep plugging away and thanks for the update! Looking forward to the post when you are driving it around for its "maiden" restored voyage.
1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
-Custom Special
-Dauntless 350 V8
-D27 front/D44 rear
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

letank

Post by letank »

Good to hear... cheers to your hard work.

I had a hearing once... this good looking woman walks by... so I let her use the copy machine as I was not in a rush... she said thank you... I walk to the hearing.... she is the judge... and the settlement was perfect ....
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
GoMopar440

Post by GoMopar440 »

letank wrote:Good to hear... cheers to your hard work.

I had a hearing once... this good looking woman walks by... so I let her use the copy machine as I was not in a rush... she said thank you... I walk to the hearing.... she is the judge... and the settlement was perfect ....
Maybe not instant karma, but pretty close. Lol

BTW, I installed the Tapatalk app so I can try to get new pics posted.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Topic author
GoMopar440

Post by GoMopar440 »

The ballooned out muffler in the pics is probably the reason the engine sounded so quiet when I had it running. Also you can see how bad the rubber fill tube and vent hose are. I ordered replacements for both of them from BJ's. The skid plate fought me a little, but it cried Uncle once I took an angle grinder to a couple stubborn bolts.