Passenger and cargo area

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
custom76

Passenger and cargo area

Post by custom76 »

Like the look if the loop carpet better, know it’s a bit harder to install, putting over 80 mil Kilmat in passenger area.

-Is mass or regular back best over this?
-Any other cons on the loop?
-Do most start cargo hard floors (either vinyl mat kit or vinyl planks) where carpet kit ends or where raised cargo area begins (which would require some sort of 90 degree transition device)?
-Kilmat or ?? under the vinyl mat kit (have read some of the Kilmat type products will conform to the recesses) ?

Thx
Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
1976 Custom Wagoneer Survivor
2000 WS6 Trans Am Conv, performance and suspension mods
1971 GTO Conv, 4 speed, built 428 (rest of its waiting for me to finish the Wag :| )
An old Pontiac guy gone Waggy!
:D Whoever designed these tailgates must still be grinning :D

HowardT64

Re: Passenger and cargo area

Post by HowardT64 »

I need to line the floor of my rig...but I am thinking that the cargo area would be nice with a spray on bed liner...whats this silver stuff you are putting on the floor?
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Topic author
custom76

Post by custom76 »

HowardT64 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:11 pm I need to line the floor of my rig...but I am thinking that the cargo area would be nice with a spray on bed liner...whats this silver stuff you are putting on the floor?
Kilmat, has a self adhesive tar like backing, really easy to install
1971 GTO Conv, 4 speed, built 428 (rest of its waiting for me to finish the Wag :| )

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

OOooooo ill have to check into this :) Thanks!!
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Topic author
custom76

Post by custom76 »

Cmon FSJNers, anyone use loop with mass backing over an insulated application.

Chubbinius

Post by Chubbinius »

custom76 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:25 pm Cmon FSJNers, anyone use loop with mass backing over an insulated application.
I did not use the loop, but I did install the Essex plush with mass backing over Kilmat and some thicker closed cell foam. Fit well, the trimming around the rear bench and wheel wells is a bit tricky.
1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
-Custom Special
-Dauntless 350 V8
-D27 front/D44 rear
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

I remember reading somewhere that loop style carpet is literally a dirt magnet and it is way harder to get all sand, grass, etc out compared to cut pike or essex.

I was thinking about getting new carpet for cargo area and ordered some Essex and cut pile samples - after looking at them I would probably go with cutpile for cargo area. Since then carpeting was on hold due to other things that need attention though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

Topic author
custom76

Post by custom76 »

Chubbinius wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:26 am
custom76 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:25 pm Cmon FSJNers, anyone use loop with mass backing over an insulated application.
I did not use the loop, but I did install the Essex plush with mass backing over Kilmat and some thicker closed cell foam. Fit well, the trimming around the rear bench and wheel wells is a bit tricky.
Good to hear, thx!

Topic author
custom76

Post by custom76 »

sirrus wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:38 am I remember reading somewhere that loop style carpet is literally a dirt magnet and it is way harder to get all sand, grass, etc out compared to cut pike or essex.

I was thinking about getting new carpet for cargo area and ordered some Essex and cut pile samples - after looking at them I would probably go with cutpile for cargo area. Since then carpeting was on hold due to other things that need attention though Image

Good point. I’ll have to give this some thought, don’t want to take my shoes off when I eventually get to drive this rig. Brings back memories of vacuuming the loop carpet on a LeMans convertible I once owned, remember sand and stuff flying around instead of going into the vacuum. Thx for reply!

Topic author
custom76

Post by custom76 »

Passenger area completed except for rolling out the grids. This stuff conformed so well around the tunnel I’m going to do the cargo area with it and put the vinyl mat over it. I believe the factory ridges will still show through.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

Good job there! On my rig that the only area that is not yet covered by kilmat/ccf :D

It does conform very well with those ridges. In fact, they still showed up after a layer of CCF over kilmat. Made aligning cardboard piece easier though

Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

I seriously need to do this to my Jeep....does it dampen sound as well?
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

It does, by dampening sheet metal vibrations. I also put a layer of CCF over the kilmat. Biggest effect so far was the roof - even without headliner (just kilmat and foam) it felt like vinyl roof. Night and day difference compared to just sheet metal, especially in the rain

Topic author
custom76

Post by custom76 »

sirrus wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:38 am Good job there! On my rig that the only area that is not yet covered by kilmat/ccf :D

It does conform very well with those ridges. In fact, they still showed up after a layer of CCF over kilmat. Made aligning cardboard piece easier though

Are you going to roll out the grid lines per instructions? Can’t decide if that’s really necessary.

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

custom76 wrote: Are you going to roll out the grid lines per instructions? Can’t decide if that’s really necessary.
Yes I did, it is needed to ensure proper adhesion. Not so critical on the floor, but super important for the roof - otherwise it will fall off on the hot sunny day. Preparing the surface is also important, 3m adhesive cleaner that I mentioned in your other thread works good

Topic author
custom76

Post by custom76 »

sirrus wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:26 pm
custom76 wrote: Are you going to roll out the grid lines per instructions? Can’t decide if that’s really necessary.
Yes I did, it is needed to ensure proper adhesion. Not so critical on the floor, but super important for the roof - otherwise it will fall off on the hot sunny day. Preparing the surface is also important, 3m adhesive cleaner that I mentioned in your other thread works good

I used a different lighter weight product in the roof, but I prep things to death, learned that being in the flooring biz. Thx for response, probably will roll it in tomorrow.