Body side panel trim clips and wood grain removal

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
custom76

Body side panel trim clips and wood grain removal

Post by custom76 »

My quarter upper trim has these reusable square black plastic clips. The lower quarter and lower rear door has (or had) these rusty metal spring types.

I removed a lower door trim from my parts truck and it had the square plastic clips except they were white instead of black.

Since the upper and lower trims look identical in size I see no reason to not reuse the plastic ones I can recover unless:

Is there a known supplier for these?

Is there any reason to try to find spring clip replacements?

The wood grain comes off pretty easily with a common paint scraper. I found some old posts that recommend Rapid Remover to get rid of the adhesive.

Is this still the best remover? Will it damage the paint below if it drips on it (don’t care about where the vinyl was as I am going to reinstall woodgrain) ?

Thx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
1976 Custom Wagoneer Survivor
2000 WS6 Trans Am Conv, performance and suspension mods
1971 GTO Conv, 4 speed, built 428 (rest of its waiting for me to finish the Wag :| )
An old Pontiac guy gone Waggy!
:D Whoever designed these tailgates must still be grinning :D

sirrus
Vendor

Re: Body side panel trim clips and wood grain removal

Post by sirrus »

I would use plastic ones - have no experience with trim outside, but I replaced metal clips on interior door panels with plastic ones and it’s 100 times better.

I know those are different cases, but some aspect I believe to be same - plastic clips are easier to install, are reusable, don’t rust and don’t scratch the paint during install (less chance of corrosion later). No idea where to get the ones you’re looking for, but I’d start with measuring the original and looking online for something close enough

As for adhesive remover - I love using 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner, p/n 08984. Gets everything off but doesn’t damage the clear coat or paint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

Topic author
custom76

Post by custom76 »

sirrus wrote:I would use plastic ones - have no experience with trim outside, but I replaced metal clips on interior door panels with plastic ones and it’s 100 times better.

I know those are different cases, but some aspect I believe to be same - plastic clips are easier to install, are reusable, don’t rust and don’t scratch the paint during install (less chance of corrosion later). No idea where to get the ones you’re looking for, but I’d start with measuring the original and looking online for something close enough

As for adhesive remover - I love using 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner, p/n 08984. Gets everything off but doesn’t damage the clear coat or paint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thx, I’ve always had good results with 3M products, would still like to hear from anyone that used the Rapid Remover. I pulled some more trim and front door had 3 different types of clips. I’m pretty sure this trim has never been removed before, it was tight, original paint truck, seems AMC guys just used any of them. Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
1971 GTO Conv, 4 speed, built 428 (rest of its waiting for me to finish the Wag :| )

RamJetFSJ

Post by RamJetFSJ »

I had to use the 3M eraser wheels on my stripes. The liquid adhesive removers only really worked for the final cleanup.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/ ... 209&rt=rud

I replaced all the plastic clips when I did mine. I only had a few of the metal clips, and just reused them. The clips were a bit hard to find, but I found a guy selling large quantities for cheap, but I don’t think he is still around. I’ll see if I can dig up any of the info. It was a long time ago.
80 Wag in 73 attire, Ram Jet 350 power

RamJetFSJ

Post by RamJetFSJ »

Plastic Clips I used are CAR-PAK # J04301 - Chrysler # 6001943

There are some trim fastener companies that will sell a box of 50 for $7, but many of them have minimum orders of $40+. So you'll have to look around and find someone to order from. I ordered from autofastco.net back in the day and got enough to do the entire car for about $20, but they don't list them on their site any more.

Topic author
custom76

Post by custom76 »

RamJetFSJ wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:52 am Plastic Clips I used are CAR-PAK # J04301 - Chrysler # 6001943

There are some trim fastener companies that will sell a box of 50 for $7, but many of them have minimum orders of $40+. So you'll have to look around and find someone to order from. I ordered from autofastco.net back in the day and got enough to do the entire car for about $20, but they don't list them on their site any more.
Thanks for the info!

RamJetFSJ

Post by RamJetFSJ »

Measure your trim, my 73 had slightly larger trim than my 80.

Topic author
custom76

Post by custom76 »

RamJetFSJ wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:54 am Measure your trim, my 73 had slightly larger trim than my 80.
I knew about the two sizes, but you just confirmed the changeover year was 1980 as my 79 parts truck is the larger trim, unless it was a mid year change.
Thx