Next rust project coming soon..

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
candymancan

Next rust project coming soon..

Post by candymancan »

Well i got the donor peice.. took 6 4ah lithium batteries on my brushless angle grinder lol. And 2 hours of cutting.. but i got it lol.

Im not patching in the whole peice but i wanted the whole section so once i take my gas tank off i can see how much of mine i truely need to cut off.

The rust on it is just surface rust that youre seeing. Its 100% solid, i know its ugly but trust me ite solid hah.

. I did like cutting this because it was like practice to see when the frame would shift from cutting. As the jy Jeep didnt shift at all until it was fully cut in half with the cross member cut. From the looks of my frame its only the mid to lower half thats bad. So i can leave the frame intact on the top half. Although i might need to cut further up where the leaf spring mounts. Cant wait till this is done. This section has prevented me from putting my last leaf spring in from when i replaced my suspension 3 years ago. Been using the one original one here. Although it wasnt saging but still. Once this is done. I can put in my leaf spring and do my 2 inch AAL lift and get 31s on.

This project is going to be big though... Not looking foward to dropping the gas tank. And doing more cutting and more welding in my townhouse parking lot.. but its gatta be done

And my bad section

[url=https://ibb.co/tZc3Znk]Image
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Kowpie

Re: Next rust project coming soon..

Post by Kowpie »

How many batteries did it take??? That was a lot of cutting!
'65 Wagoneer, 230 OHC, IFS, Column Shift T90/D20
'73 J4000, 6000#, 258, T18/D20, 33", full disc.
'79 CJ7, 304, T18/D20, 35", 4.56, SOA, shackle reversal.

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

4 4AH lithium batteries and two 3ah High performance lithium batteries. Its a ryobi brushless angle grinder. Tool cut extremely well.

It was alot of cutting.. i had to cut the leaf spring off. The frame in half on both sides.. but i couldnt get the top part cut, it wouldnt reach so i had to cut through the floor to reach up top of the frame then i was able to get the top lip cut. But then i realized i had to cut the body mount brackets off.. and the cross member which is on top of this section needed cutting. So i had to cut more floorboard out to get to to it.

Yea 2 hours of constant cutting. I finished right when my last batter had two bars left LOL. Suffice to say the tool was burning hot to the touch. But this 100$ brushless ryobi grinder is a damn good tool lol. Put it through its paces.

Funny thing is i got two free batteries with charger and bag for buying it. And these batteries are 100$ a peice by themselvs. They are having deals though buy the battery kit with 2 3AH HP batteries or 4ah normal batteries and you get a tool free under 80$. If you buy the brushless grinder you get the 2 3ah HP batteries.

So i picked a fan and two recipricating saws. Ima juat sell the saws to get my money back lol already have tons of ppl wanting em.. So i essence i paid almost nothing for 6 batteries. I dont see how ryobi makes money doing this lol
Last edited by candymancan on Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

wow, thats a lot of time to spend under a spider infested junk yard rig.

Hopefully you can get your springs off without cutting them. Unless you are replacing them of course.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Oh im cutting them. Its the last spring i didnt replace 3 years ago. My new spring has been in storage all this time. I never was able to replace it due to the frame here..and having to remove the gas tank to get to the nut for the I bolt so ive been running 3 new springs and 1 old spring. I realized after i put on my passenger rear spring in i gained only .5 inchs of lift so my old springs in the back werent bad like my front inverted upside springs. So i decided to leave it on. Until the time came i needed to fix the frame. This way i can fix the frame. Drop the tank. And replace the spring at the same time

So its been fine with one old spring. But yea.. im cutting the u bolts and springs off. Im sure the I bolt on the shackle is rust welded like all the others as well.. So ill have to cut the shackle mount off the frame like i did the otherside to get the shackle out. And weld the mount back on.

A real PITA old age and rust is. But im determined, ive done so much so far as you know

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Stuka wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:59 pm wow, thats a lot of time to spend under a spider infested junk yard rig.

Hopefully you can get your springs off without cutting them. Unless you are replacing them of course.

I wasnt really under it. I was next to it. I had it jacked up enough to sit old rims/tires under its frame in various spots so it . So i was cutting from outside and partially in the wheel well.. and from up too from the floorboard. But i was laying on salvage yard dirt with glass. Big rocks and all kinds of junk all over.

But yea.. It wasnt spiders.. This Jeep had ants living in it. Cockroachs. And had piles and piles and piles and piles of mouse or rat shiat inside.. and i was laying all in it.

My girlfriend was with me. She likes to scour the cars near by for stupid stuff ppl leave in their vehicles LOL. Plus shes a good helper.. Hand me this tool.. need new blade. Need a new battery haha.

We found a glass bong. Some weed. Fake nails. Stripper heels. Wigs. Crazy sunglasses.. lol obviously we dont take that junk but its interesting to see what kind of crap people leave behind

letank

Post by letank »

candymancan wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:56 pm 4 4AH lithium batteries and two 3ah High performance lithium batteries. Its a ryobi brushless angle grinder.
yes, angle grinder seems to need a lot more battery than sawzall from my experience... I cut off that front roof and A pillars at the junkyard with one battery pack -2Ah and 18v battery-... but when I had to clean the cuts back home the grinder needed 3 battery charges to do the roof straightening.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Yea a recriprocating saw isnt gonna cut the frame like a angle grinder will specially a cordless one

threepiece

Post by threepiece »

candymancan wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:27 pm Yea a recriprocating saw isnt gonna cut the frame like a angle grinder will specially a cordless one
Yes, let’s not give Milwaukee a bad rap.
I used to name my FSJ’s after their previous owners, I realized I had too many with five named Rick.

Dang raccoons again!

Rust is a color too.

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

I havent used therir tools so i wouldnt know but from the videos ive seen they all look and perform similar. Their arr like 30 names out there now and theyre all just the same tool basically lol.

But what im saying is a reciprocating saw even corded wont cut a frame like a angle grinder will. It only took so many batteries and so long because i had to go through the floor and cut the cross member and body mount off. The main section of the frame took 3 min to cut in half lol

threepiece

Post by threepiece »

candymancan wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:22 pm
But what im saying is a reciprocating saw even corded wont cut a frame like a angle grinder will.
To clarify, I am commenting on your use of “reciprocating saw”. Many/most people call that type of saw a Sawzall which is a Milwaukee trade name. One of the many mis used names like Vise Grip, Channellock, Freon, POP Rivet, Shop Vac and Jeep to name a few.
I used to name my FSJ’s after their previous owners, I realized I had too many with five named Rick.

Dang raccoons again!

Rust is a color too.

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Oh ok lol