What's the best way to attach a hammock to our FSJs?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
CosmicRhino

What's the best way to attach a hammock to our FSJs?

Post by CosmicRhino »

I've got an ENO hammock with atlas straps. Sometimes finding two correctly distanced trees is a pain. I'm envious of wrangler guys attaching their hammock to the back roll bar and only needing one tree to park near.

What's the best way to attach a strap to our FSJ for hammocking? Seems kind of tough with it so high off the ground. Only way I've come up with is wrapping around the roof through the window and my strap isn't long enough for that to be comfortably low enough to the ground.

BCRAWLER

Re: What's the best way to attach a hammock to our FSJs?

Post by BCRAWLER »

Built one years ago. Fit into traller hitch. 2 long steel bars that fit into unit that went into trailer hitch. Bar comes out of hitch with 2 plates. Support brackets for hammock fastened between them. Might need longer hitch mount as mine would allow hammock to hit body if swung too much.
1980 Cherokee,360/727/208, propane powered,unknown lift,31' Adventuro's on Chevy rims,Warn winch
1980 J10,360/standard/208, stepside
1970 GMC 4X4 Pickup, 78 frame, 84 350, Turbo 350/205, patina galore
1986 Blazer K5, 350/205/465 trans
1990 Cherokee XJ, about to scrap for FSJ parts, gone to parts graveyard in sky

Simo

Post by Simo »

Interesting topic that got me searching google images for other concepts. If ya dont mind being a few inches off the ground Ive just hooked one end to a fixed object and the other end to the winch or bumper then just backed up until comfortably taught. I do see some other creative concepts that require different external framing off the bumpers, receiver hitch, or just the rig's weight to anchor framing supports.

Not sure my oe FSJ rack would support a side load with my weight like this without some reinforcement or upgraded roof rack, it's barely screwed into the roof as it is.

BCrawler mentioned a concept that is probably something similar to this but without the basket

Have fun getting into this one, or for that matter getting out of at 3am to pee...

Topic author
CosmicRhino

Post by CosmicRhino »

Simo wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:18 am ... If ya dont mind being a few inches off the ground
That final picture of the XJ attaching a hammock to the roof rack sure didn't mind a "few" inches off the ground! Wow! Thanks for all the interesting pictures and shares after your research.

I definitely prefer my hammock only 6-12 inches off the forest floor. The only thing that concerns me with using the bumper is it seems a bit sharp and maybe harsh on the Atlas straps. Perhaps I'm being over concerned about that though. Maybe just a piece of cardboard in between the straps and the bumper would be a simple way to protect them.

Topic author
CosmicRhino

Post by CosmicRhino »

BCRAWLER wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:40 pm Built one years ago. Fit into traller hitch. 2 long steel bars that fit into unit that went into trailer hitch. Bar comes out of hitch with 2 plates. Support brackets for hammock fastened between them. Might need longer hitch mount as mine would allow hammock to hit body if swung too much.
So you built the support bracket specifically for hammocks? That's awesome.

I have a large trailer hitch carry that has two mounts for gas cans, and a large storage space formed by metal tubes. It's perfect for attaching 3-4 hammocks even but I don't like having that massive hitch all the time as it limits the functionality of the tailgate, and it's just really bulky and only more of a necessity for overlanding so I only attach it when needed.

I think the bumper might work OK if I buffer the straps with some kind of protection against the metal. I don't believe the straps are supposed to be used on sharp metal edges.