Hello, Newb Body Work Roof Question

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Mmbackpacker

Hello, Newb Body Work Roof Question

Post by Mmbackpacker »

Hello from Idaho! I am a new owner of a ‘77 Cherokee S, 360, Auto, a/c, narrow track, low range...

I have a million questions, but I’ll start with the roof. I have zero body work experience, so please forgive my ignorance. No roof rack on this one. No headliner whatsoever as well, and just some scaley surface rust, which I plan on attacking with a wire brush and some Rustoleum Rust Reformer.

My question is the roof seems higher than the adjustment available with the roof supports? Any ideas on what the gap should be? The plan is after the rust battle is won (or is it ever truly won?) to use auto body putty/glue to attach the supports. Does that seem reasonable? Or should I use some type of foam gasket with some sticky?

Thanks for taking the time to read and help!
1977 Jeep Cherokee S NT
AMC 360 with Sniper EFI and stock fuel system to RobbMC surge tank
TH400
Quadratrac

Instagram: id_cherokee_s_nt

SJTD

Re: Hello, Newb Body Work Roof Question

Post by SJTD »

I wouldn't use panel adhesive or they won't come out without bending the roof. I know from experience. My roof now has creases that I didn't bother to take out since you can only see them from above.

Maybe butyl windshield adhesive? Doesn't harden, could be cut with a wire if necessary.

Maybe sillycone?

Maybe stick on sound deadener? Apply to roof and push brace up against it.

I don't think you want a gap. The roof would tend to bang against it.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

From my vague recollection, I have seen this before. Expect it's just a QC problem from the factory that does not affect the appearance or performance of the car ... so they let it through. I also recall seeing some type of cardboard or composition filler between roof supports and the roof skin, so there is precedent for putting something in there. IIRC it was the cardboardy stuff they use in floors for sound deadening, and secured with some tar or other black goo to the support. Don't use anything so rigid that it deforms the roof skin. Agree with SJTD you don't want to bond the supports to the skin. I kinda think you could ignore it if it does not bother you too much. It's been that way for decades already with no obvious issues.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Mmbackpacker

Post by Mmbackpacker »

Thanks guys. I forgot to mention I am planning on some insulation/ sound proofing, so that'll take up some of the slack as well. I’ll post some pics as I go along.
1977 Jeep Cherokee S NT
AMC 360 with Sniper EFI and stock fuel system to RobbMC surge tank
TH400
Quadratrac

Instagram: id_cherokee_s_nt